Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Little Rock, AR

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Birdieman30

Birdieman30

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:51 PM

What's the deal with KATV today? The Texas A&M and Miami game and the network scoreboard show in SD. At least the Raycomm game was in
S-HD (Semi-HD). Same song, different verse at KATV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan

Icon

• Registered
  • 603 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:57 PM

What's the deal with KATV today? The Texas A&M and Miami game and the network scoreboard show in SD. At least the Raycomm game was in
S-HD (Semi-HD). Same song, different verse at KATV.

ABC didn't do that game in HD
too bad Raycom didn't do their game at all
what a pathetic showing :(

#43 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 04:19 PM

I've just started watching the channel 11 HD broadcast of the colts/jags game and, jeez, is there ia lot of major blocking going on. Seems related to motion. I don't know if this is DTV's problem or 11's.
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#44 OFFLINE   mauijiminar

mauijiminar

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 03:23 PM

KATV-DT in Little Rock (abc-hd) is still unwatchable on D*.

Horrible picture quality. Herky-jerky motion with missing frames and blurry, non-hd quality. And the sound won't stay in sync. Really bad.

Fix it or take it down until you can solve the problem.

It is not Directv's fault. It looks the same way OTA. Until KATV gets their new tower up, it will not look better. OTA looks just as bad.

#45 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:25 PM

Dancing With the Stars airs on KATV. The picture is horrible & the image cuts out sometimes (pixelates). This is supposed to be broadcast in HD. Anyone know what the deal is? Is it KATV's fault?

#46 OFFLINE   arxaw

arxaw

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:33 PM

It's katv & directv's fault. They shouldn't have added katv to directv until katv's new tower is up and they are broadcasting their own signal, not piggybacking on a two-bit Equity station that doesn't have enough bandwidth to do abc-hd.

Or, they should have run fiber directly to the DirecTV facility on Col. Glenn, like they did for comscat.

It probably won't improve until the end of the year when katv gets their new tower up and running and are broadcasting on their own channel.

#47 OFFLINE   steveken

steveken

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:57 AM

...not piggybacking on a two-bit Equity station that doesn't have enough bandwidth to do abc-hd.

They don't have enough bandwidth to do their OWN channel properly, much less add another channel onto it. Well, I suppose they do have enough, but only because they rarely show any true HD content. It usually looks like crap on their channel anyway. Tried watching Cardinals games this year on 42-2 and it just looked like a Lego'ized version of the game.

Or, they should have run fiber directly to the DirecTV facility on Col. Glenn, like they did for comscat.

LOL, and spend money? NAH!!! :)

It probably won't improve until the end of the year when katv gets their new tower up and running and are broadcasting on their own channel.

Try like February of next year probably.......can't help but be pessimistic.

Anyway, I will just put in my experiences of 7 over the past times I have tried to watch it. At times it looks like its coming off a severely underpowered computer where the video will lag, then speed up a little only to lag again. It makes the video a good 1 to 2 seconds behind the audio.

Too bad filing a complaint with the FCC would do next to no good.

#48 OFFLINE   Birdieman30

Birdieman30

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 07:20 PM

Is it ABC or KATV?

I am watching the Texass/Missouri game and when they change cameras the picture continually goes out of focus. The text and the actual game shots go out of focus. I thought it was me, but my wife confirmed my suspicions. It is very annoying.

#49 OFFLINE   arxaw

arxaw

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:50 AM

Is it ABC or KATV?

It's katv. See post #46.

#50 OFFLINE   ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan

Icon

• Registered
  • 603 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:19 AM

:rolleyes: nothing but an outage message on KATV
I don't care if their tower fell or not they still suck

#51 OFFLINE   arxaw

arxaw

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 03:45 PM

ARKDTVfan,

According to AVSForum LR thread, look for a permanent solution to the unwatchable katv mess in about 2 - 3 weeks from now, when a direct link will be up and running between katv and the local D* facility at KLRT on Col. Glenn Rd. in LR.

#52 OFFLINE   mauijiminar

mauijiminar

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:39 PM

ARKDTVfan,

According to AVSForum LR thread, look for a permanent solution to the unwatchable katv mess in about 2 - 3 weeks from now, when a direct link (probably fiber) will be up and running between katv and the local D* facility at KLRT on Col. Glenn Rd. in LR.

Thanks for the info!

#53 OFFLINE   colebert

colebert

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:26 PM

You know KATV sucks when VTN has had a single-mode fiber uplink to Col Glenn for 5+ years.

#54 OFFLINE   ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan

Icon

• Registered
  • 603 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 05:35 PM

ARKDTVfan,

According to AVSForum LR thread, look for a permanent solution to the unwatchable katv mess in about 2 - 3 weeks from now, when a direct link will be up and running between katv and the local D* facility at KLRT on Col. Glenn Rd. in LR.

There is a God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BTW I found the post you mentioned
http://www.avsforum....&postcount=6885

#55 OFFLINE   Birdieman30

Birdieman30

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 07:46 PM

For the second week in a row, the wife has been watching Crusoe on NBC (KARK) and the speech disappears on the HD channel. The background sound effects are there (music, waves crashing, etc.) but no speech. When we change to the SD channel the speech is there. Update: Just changed back to HD and the speech is back. Has anybody else noticed this? Is this a local 5.1 audio issue? Two weeks in a row. We do not watch NBC that much, except for Leno, so I do not know if this has been an issue on other programs.

Correction: I have just been informed we do watch NBC (Heroes, Chuck, etc.), but no audio issues on those shows.

#56 OFFLINE   steveken

steveken

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:30 AM

Actually, it does happen every so often on 4. I have noticed it on several occasions watching Heroes and Knight Rider and Chuck I think. It only lasts 3 or 4 seconds I believe, but it is there none the less. I don't think its that big a deal as I am okay at reading lips. LOL Plus, it doesn't happen very often at all, so its not a real big deal, YET. :) Anyway, just so know, its not just you guys, it does happen.

#57 OFFLINE   ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan

Icon

• Registered
  • 603 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 11:32 AM

ARKDTVfan,

any update on the direct feed?
it's been 2 weeks since this info was posted

#58 OFFLINE   arxaw

arxaw

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 12:01 PM

any update on the direct feed?
it's been 2 weeks since this info was posted

Haven't heard anything.

#59 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:01 AM

I little OT, but I needed to express my dismay and surprise that AETN is shutting down their analog transmission on 02/02/09 and will go back on the air with all digital on 02/18/09, the date on which stations must broadcast only in digital. For about 6 weeks AETN will stop providing content. As a DTV customer, I will lose AETN for 6 weeks. I will miss the News Hour very much.

Are many stations doing this? Why is this necessary?
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#60 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:33 PM

Oops. The shutdown date 01/02/09.
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

Protected By... spam firewall...And...