Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Letter: Upgrade Receiver (721 etc)

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Presence

Presence

Godfather

• Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 04:54 PM

I received a letter today from Dish telling me I need to upgrade my receiver to continue to enjoy Dish programming. Of course, it does not say which receiver. I have two 622s and a 721. I assume they are going for the 721, but why? It's not like it gets HD already, and as far as I know there's no imminent move to make all programming MPEG-4 yet.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:14 PM

Dish is upgrading the 721 receivers for 522's due to the tivo injunction.

#3 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:15 PM

The 721 is one of the "infringing" DVR models that may be shut off due to the TiVO patent case.

I had a 921 (actually 10 different ones), then a 942 (briefly). Finally a 622 showed up on my doorstep! Both the 921 & 942 are also on the infringing list. My guess is that everyone with an older HD DVR will eventualy get a 622 just to get the infringing units "off the street".

BTW: They waived the "HD Enabling Fee" for me (I got the 921 to "future-proof" my E* system :lol: :rolling: ). I still don't have an HDTV but the 622 does everything (and more) that the 921 was supposed to do (like Dish Home). I love the split screen PIP in single mode. It's a great way to watch 2 sporting events at the same time. I can also delay the start of the news until the baseball game ends by having the 2nd tuner tuned to the news while watching the end of the game on the first tuner.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#4 OFFLINE   BigDon

BigDon

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:51 PM

I got the same letter. I have a 508, a 2700, and a 7100.

I thought the 7100 was ok and that the 508's software update put it in the clear.

I called Dish up. He wanted to swap my 7100 out for a 508 or 501 at no charge and no contract. Told him I'd
think about it. It would be hard to go from the 90-100 hours available (120 gb upgrade hard drive) on the 7100 to 35 to 60 hours on the 501 or 508 respectively.

But at least the 508 would have Name Based Recording and would map the Local channels down to their two digit numbers instead of to only a 7XXX number. He couldn't guarantee me a 508.

#5 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:51 PM

I would hit them up for a 625, it could not hurt to ask.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,665 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:00 PM

They may be having issues making the new smartcards work on the oldest receivers. I'm surprised the old receivers work as well as they do considering the differences between the network at the time they were introduced and now.

#7 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:22 AM

I have a 508 and 721 - I haven't received a letter yet. I currently own both receivers and do not get charged any DVR monthly fees. I believe they would want to charge me a fee with the 522. When it is swapped out, I would guess I would NOT own this new receiver - would the new receiver have a lease or DVR fee attached to it - those are some of the questions I will ask if I get this letter.

#8 OFFLINE   euro_boy

euro_boy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:39 AM

I got the same letter. I have 722, 501 and 7200 and assume they want to swap the original DishPlayer for something else.

#9 OFFLINE   dalehileman

dalehileman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:19 AM

I see that I shall eventually have to upgrade my Dish receiver . I suppose it's a blessing in disguise as I am one of the few remaining owners of a Model 4900 but there are so many styles that the average clod (me) will be at an impasse. It’s as if gasoline were discontinued and then you have to choose among LNG, diesel, ethylene, hybrid, electric, hydrogen, compressed air, etc etc etc, or maybe peddles

Will I have to pay for my new set

...and if so doesn't Dish realize how many of us disgruntled users will instead switch to DirecTV

#10 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:36 AM

I see that I shall eventually have to upgrade my Dish receiver . I suppose it's a blessing in disguise as I am one of the few remaining owners of a Model 4900 but there are so many styles that the average clod (me) will be at an impasse. It’s as if gasoline were discontinued and then you have to choose among LNG, diesel, ethylene, hybrid, electric, hydrogen, compressed air, etc etc etc, or maybe peddles

Will I have to pay for my new set

...and if so doesn't Dish realize how many of us disgruntled users will instead switch to DirecTV

By your statement your wife is quite happy with her DVR and won't switch to Directv so why don't you stop complaining about equipment getting older. Do a dishing it up and get a newer receiver such as a 311 to replace your antique 4900.:)

#11 OFFLINE   dalehileman

dalehileman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:54 AM

boba: 'cause I'm a cheapskate

#12 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:05 PM

We got a letter in the mail today from Dish saying that "due to upgrades in our system's technology and services, it is necessary to upgrade one or more of your older model receivers at no charge to you so you can continue to receive your programming." Then just a number to call. (I only have a 721 and a 301.)

I called and they said that the 721 has been discontinued (obviously -- quite a while ago, actually) and that they were going to replace it with a 625 at no charge. I then asked if I would be charged a monthly lease or DVR fee -- and she replied that, yes, there would be the monthly $5.98 fee because it was a leased receiver.

I complained that that didn't sound "free" to me -- and told her that I bought the 721 specifically because it did not have any extra monthly fees for things like DVR service. She started to say that there was nothing she could do, then stopped, asked me to hold, and then said that she had not fully read the 721 upgrade information and that they are waiving all of the lease/DVR fees.

I then asked, to be sure, "So there will be absolutely no change to the amount of my monthly bill, I will receive a 625 to use as long as I'd like, and I get to keep my 721, correct?" She confirmed that was the case. She said that, if I wanted, I could turn in the 721 for a $10 (yes $TEN, not $100) credit. I passed on that.

In any case -- just want to see if other people are hearing the same thing and that all sounds legit? I know that, a couple of months ago, the 721 was having some trouble now and then due to some stream change or something -- and some people that emailed CEO were told that they could move to a 625 with no monthly fees. I emailed too, but never got any answer back -- then the problems seem to go away, so I didn't worry about it. Looks like, hopefully, this deal has come back for everyone with a 721. I think I'm fine with it as long as it actually goes as indicated.

- John...

#13 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:21 PM

I was in a similar situation with a 921. They gave me a 622. They waived the HD enabling fee. I was already paying the DVR fee until I switched to DVR Advantage which saved me the DVR fee and the Feb. '08 price increase on Top-200. All I had to do was add my locals which I did not need with the 921 since I got all my locals OTA on the 921's tuner. For only $1.01 more than what I was paying before the Feb.'08 increase w/o locals I had my locals and an HD DVR.

Bottom line I get Top-200 w/locals and a DVR for $49.95 + tax! And now I also get the HD locals (which look great - as good as the OTA, and much better than the overcompresed SD locals) and my RSN's in HD (games only from 2 + 24 hr Big 10 Network). I don't even have an HDTV yet but I'm ready!

Don't let them stick you with any fees! The real reason for the 721 shut-down is the TiVO case, not the MPEG-4 implementation. There is nothing SD in MPEG-4 anyway (yet). That may change but not until they swap out all the 301's 4900's 4700's etc. that are still out there. None of those were DVR's, it's only the "infringing" DVR models that are being shut off: 721, 921, 942 and maybe a coulple others.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#14 OFFLINE   kb9lfr

kb9lfr

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:43 PM

I only have 1 dish receiver...a 7200 and I got the letter.
Will my 7200 stop running at some point? If so, when?
They want to give me a 311 in exchange....which isn't acceptable since it isn't a dvr..I also need no dvr fee and at least 7 days program guide.
What should I do to get the best deal?
thanks.

#15 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:53 PM

We got a letter in the mail today from Dish saying that "due to upgrades in our system's technology and services, it is necessary to upgrade one or more of your older model receivers at no charge to you so you can continue to receive your programming." Then just a number to call. (I only have a 721 and a 301.)

I called and they said that the 721 has been discontinued (obviously -- quite a while ago, actually) and that they were going to replace it with a 625 at no charge. I then asked if I would be charged a monthly lease or DVR fee -- and she replied that, yes, there would be the monthly $5.98 fee because it was a leased receiver.

I complained that that didn't sound "free" to me -- and told her that I bought the 721 specifically because it did not have any extra monthly fees for things like DVR service. She started to say that there was nothing she could do, then stopped, asked me to hold, and then said that she had not fully read the 721 upgrade information and that they are waiving all of the lease/DVR fees.

I then asked, to be sure, "So there will be absolutely no change to the amount of my monthly bill, I will receive a 625 to use as long as I'd like, and I get to keep my 721, correct?" She confirmed that was the case. She said that, if I wanted, I could turn in the 721 for a $10 (yes $TEN, not $100) credit. I passed on that.

In any case -- just want to see if other people are hearing the same thing and that all sounds legit? I know that, a couple of months ago, the 721 was having some trouble now and then due to some stream change or something -- and some people that emailed CEO were told that they could move to a 625 with no monthly fees. I emailed too, but never got any answer back -- then the problems seem to go away, so I didn't worry about it. Looks like, hopefully, this deal has come back for everyone with a 721. I think I'm fine with it as long as it actually goes as indicated.

- John...

If they pay shipping you might want to reconsider the $10 for the 721, it won't have much use after they kill them.

#16 OFFLINE   kstuart

kstuart

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:06 PM

It seems that the receivers in question (7100/7200, 721, 921, 942) are not being upgraded to use the new smart cards.

Someone reported hearing that the tentative deadline is November 1st, although such dates have slipped in the past.

It would not surprise me if there are also other models (old non-DVRs) that only start being dealt with after November 1st.
Still using Dish 500 production unit #000001 (pictured prior to upgrade to DPPlusTwin)
Olevia 542i fed by ViP622 and 522

#17 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:21 PM

If they pay shipping you might want to reconsider the $10 for the 721, it won't have much use after they kill them.

It is worth the $10 to me just to have time to watch everything that I've got DVR'ed on the thing. I won't have it all watched within the timeframe. :)

- John...

#18 OFFLINE   sulu600

sulu600

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:41 PM

I have an old 5000 that I use in my RV and a 721. I received the letter today and was very surprised to find it was the 721 being replaced with a 625. I was told it was because of the "Smart Card" issue, but the TiVo case make's more since. Can someone who has a 625 tell me if the OTA tuner in the 625 is ATSC or just analog and be totally useless next Feb.?

Steve

#19 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,694 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:52 PM

There is no ATSC tuner in a 625 - 2 SD DBS tuners is it. You can use it in Single or Dual mode.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#20 OFFLINE   sulu600

sulu600

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:02 PM

There is no ATSC tuner in a 625 - 2 SD DBS tuners is it. You can use it in Single or Dual mode.

So what is the TV Antenna/Cable In F-Connector on the rear panel for? On my 721 and 5000 it received/tunes OTA channel's from antenna. The way they have been hyping the DTV conversion on every channel, would have thought they put a DTV(ATSC) tuner in these receivers with OTA tuners. So I guess I can use one of my DTV boxes on it....

Steve

spam firewall