Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Letter: Upgrade Receiver (721 etc)

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:26 PM

With dvr advantage, basically anybody can get the DVR fee waived as it makes your AT package with locals cost the same as you AT package plus locals and DVR fee. At least until next February.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:40 PM

With dvr advantage, basically anybody can get the DVR fee waived as it makes your AT package with locals cost the same as you AT package plus locals and DVR fee. At least until next February.

This appears to be incorrect. When I did this deal, he started to add DVR Advantage to my account and it INCREASED my monthly fee. So he removed it and said that, because of the fee(s) being waived for having a 721, it was cheaper without DVR Advantage.

Just to confirm this, I just went to Dish Network and did the wizard as a new customer for exactly what I will have (Top-100, HD Bronze, 722) for $47.99/month (I currently pay $37.99/month for Top-100 with locals with my 721 and it will be $10 more after my swap to the 721 for the HD Bronze). The wizard's calculation, even after doing the DVR Advantage, came to $49.99.

The wizard calculated, before I added the DVR, that the programming would cost me $32.99 for Top-100 plus $5 for locals plus $10 for HD Bronze -- for a total of $47.99. Then it added another $4.60 for the DVR fee after I put that in. That would be $52.59. Then it said that that qualifies for the DVR Advantage, made that change, and adjusted the monthly fee to $49.99 total.

So, sure, what I am getting in the end is only $2/month less with their fee waiving (so I'm not REALLY getting the full fees waived) -- but it is still incorrect to say that anyone can get the same fees waived by going to DVR Advantage. Those of us with 721s going to 722s are getting it for $2/month less than what "anyone" doing the DVR Advantage thing would be getting, I believe.

- John...

#43 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:55 PM

This appears to be incorrect.
Those of us with 721s going to 722s are getting it for $2/month less than what "anyone" doing the DVR Advantage thing would be getting, I believe.

- John...

Repeat your steps if you are anything above AT100 (where DishDVR Advantage saves only $3.98) and you'll see what jclewter79 was saying. He should have said any AT package except AT100, but nobody can include all the "excepts" in a brief post. DISH has quite a few "excepts".

#44 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:20 PM

Interesting. I likely should have upgraded from my 721 long ago then. I had been avoiding it because I didn't want to start paying a "DVR" fee that I think is lame. Had I known that I could have done it with either just a $2/month increase or none at all if I was Top-150, I likely would have done it long ago. Oh well...

- John...

#45 OFFLINE   kstuart

kstuart

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:34 PM

DVR Advantage only waives one DVR fee.

I have two DVRs, one is a 721 and the other would have a fee where it not for DVR Advantage.

So, the 721 replacement program including a waiver of the DVR fee for the 522/625 replacement is certainly a help for me.

Only the "America's Everything Package" waives DVR fees for all the DVRs on an account - which is why most people with 4 or 5 DVRs have that package.
Still using Dish 500 production unit #000001 (pictured prior to upgrade to DPPlusTwin)
Olevia 542i fed by ViP622 and 522

#46 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:35 PM

Weird. I just checked and it says that all of my SD locals are actually on 110. (I had the SuperDish installed because they were on 121.) Is it possible that they were moved? If so, do I have ANY need for 121 any more?

No one needs 121 anymore; there hasn't been any (non-commercial) content on it for almost a year. Yes, your locals were moved to 110 at some point. The Superdish is obsolete.

In any case, the two HD channels for my DMA say that they are on 61.5.

In either case -- looks like I will have 2 dishes then when the HD is installed? Do they mount to the same pole or will they be adding yet another pole to my yard? I think that they charge me if they add another pole, right? That would suck.

If you need 61.5, then you will need two Dish 500 dishes, one pointing at 119/110 and one in "wing" configuration pointing at 61.5.

If your existing pole is a 2" or 2 3/8" (Superdishes came in both sizes), then it will need to be replaced or adapted to allow a 1 5/8" dish to fit on it, and, yes, you'd need a second one for the wing dish.

#47 OFFLINE   pjmrt

pjmrt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,939 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:36 PM

So you were able to get a 625 at no cost to replace your 7200?
Any pvr fees?
Any lease charges?
We have AT250 and Locals and have been with dish for about 7 years...I wonder if we could get the same deal.
Does the 625 have anything to do with HD?

Maybe, its worth a try. I've been with them about the same and that's my package. I have a DVR fee waiver on my 7200 (part of the deal when I originally bought it, temporarily lost it, then got it back when I contacted ceo@echostar). My other DVR was a 721 which died and was replaced w/ a 522 no charge and no DVR fees. On the phone anyway, the deal is no lease charges, no DVR fees, just pay what I'm paying now. The only catch is that the 625 is officially leased, I won't own it like I do my 7200 and 522. But neither do I have to return the 7200. Not sure what I will do with it though, as it will shortly be a paperweight. I would get a modest credit on my bill if I return it (I think it was $20). I thought about eBaying it, but it would be useless as a functional reciever - only good as a collector's item. Which is the one reason I have to hang on to it - the first DVR reciever and the only (so far as I know) reciever w/ webTV.

#48 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:58 PM

If you need 61.5, then you will need two Dish 500 dishes, one pointing at 119/110 and one in "wing" configuration pointing at 61.5.

If your existing pole is a 2" or 2 3/8" (Superdishes came in both sizes), then it will need to be replaced or adapted to allow a 1 5/8" dish to fit on it, and, yes, you'd need a second one for the wing dish.

Ok -- thanks for the info. So, now I'm curious if my "free install" is going to include that second pole (and replacement of my existing pole). Last time I had a "free install", the installer got here and told me that I had to pay because it was on a pole and not on the roof. Now I'm afraid he's going to show up and tell me that I have to not only pay -- but pay for TWO poles... Hmmm...

Anyone know the official word on this sort of thing?

- John...

#49 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:11 AM

It is "Free Basic Installation" which does not include pole mounts.

#50 OFFLINE   AppliedAggression

AppliedAggression

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:09 AM

I have a 721 as well.
Will the 522 or 625 I receive be owned by me, or is it leased from them for free?

#51 OFFLINE   kstuart

kstuart

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:16 PM

Applied - leased for free.

jgoggan - There is no good reason to replace a Superdish with a Dish 500, except for cosmetic appearance. Superdish should supply as good or better signal for 110 and 119. All that really needs to be done is install the 61.5 wing dish and hook them all up to the appropriate switch (might even be done by unplugging 121 on your existing switch and pluggin in 61.5).
Still using Dish 500 production unit #000001 (pictured prior to upgrade to DPPlusTwin)
Olevia 542i fed by ViP622 and 522

#52 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:51 PM

I have a 721 as well.
Will the 522 or 625 I receive be owned by me, or is it leased from them for free?

Leased, but no additional fees.

#53 OFFLINE   DaGnome

DaGnome

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:09 AM

Hmm I wonder what they are doing for people in my situation:

I own a 721, bought for the same reasons as everyone else.. no DVR fee.
I recently upgraded to a 722 for the HD, and put the 721 in the closet to be reactivated later , as a backup or if I ever decide to hook up a 2nd room.

I've received no letter, and at the time i upgraded (In Feb), there was no TIVO judgement yet.

Will i have issues activating this in the future? Or should I just call now to see if they will upgrade it? (I doubt it since it won't be activated). Or am I just SoL in that their legal issues forced me out of a product I legitimately paid for?

#54 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:48 AM

Hmm I wonder what they are doing for people in my situation:

I own a 721, bought for the same reasons as everyone else.. no DVR fee.
I recently upgraded to a 722 for the HD, and put the 721 in the closet to be reactivated later , as a backup or if I ever decide to hook up a 2nd room.

I've received no letter, and at the time i upgraded (In Feb), there was no TIVO judgement yet.

Will i have issues activating this in the future? Or should I just call now to see if they will upgrade it? (I doubt it since it won't be activated). Or am I just SoL in that their legal issues forced me out of a product I legitimately paid for?

Probably be best to reactivate that thing if they let you if you want the upgraded one. One thing about it though, if they do replace it with a leased receiver, they will want it to stay activated or it will have to be sent back.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#55 OFFLINE   euro_boy

euro_boy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:32 AM

Same here, only its my ancient 7200 (which still works). Overall I can't complain as they are swapping it for a 625 - at no extra cost to me, including the install. But then I have been with Dish for several years so they (said) they were taking that into account. Still, the 7200 is working - but apparently they are getting ready to pull the plug on all the old gear. BTW - I thought the 7200 was not part of the TiVo lawsuit offending gear, too early?

Wow, 625 (or 522 for that matter) would be great replacement for 7200. I will have to call them soon and see if they will offer me that as well. I have been with Dish since 1997.

#56 OFFLINE   kb9lfr

kb9lfr

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:00 AM

Just got off the phone with dish..they say that november sometime is when the 7200 will start losing channels.

I was not getting far with trying to get a 625 upgrade with no fees for my 7200 until I asked for customer retention. I've been a customer for 8 years...all is taken care of.
625 installed at no cost...dvr advantage to cover fees (my monthly bill stays the same) (they will be renewing dvr advantage in all likelyhood).

#57 OFFLINE   Kevin_F

Kevin_F

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:08 PM

My inlaws (Los Angeles area) just had their 5000 with Dolby Adapter replaced by a DISH 381 unit under this program. I never heard of the 381 model, so I was worried about what they were being given. I wanted to make sure that they were given an equivalent receiver to what is being replaced. They are opting for the $10 back for taking away the receiver. Unlike the 311 and 322, the 381 supports Dolby optical output.

#58 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:56 PM

I believe the 381 is for multiple dwelling units.

#59 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,594 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:26 PM

The 381 is a relabled 811 ... generally used in the MDU market now but consider it a good replacement for the 5000 (unless you want satellite HD ... then you need a ViP receiver such as the 211 - the 811 will not decode the new MPEG4 channels).

#60 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:15 PM

The 381 is a relabled 811.

And some things to be aware of:

- It does NOT have a coax output.
- It has an ATSC tuner, so it can pick up digital OTA signals, including HD where available.
- It comes with an RF remote.
- It supports HD resolutions up to 1080i via DVI or component.
- It does not have an HDMI output.
- It only decodes MPEG2, so it can not be used for satellite HD, which is now MPEG4 only.
- It has an optical audio output for Dolby Digital.

spam firewall