Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Letter: Upgrade Receiver (721 etc)

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   gregc5985

gregc5985

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:39 PM

I got my Urgent Action Required letter today. I currently have a leased VIP622 and an owned DVR721. My understanding is that Dish will replace my DVR721 with a leased DVR522 but waive the lease and DVR fees. Is that correct?

It would probably make more sense for me to replace the 721 with another HD DVR. (I am currently subscribed to DishDVR Advantage and dishHD.) Does anyone know if I would have to pay monthly lease and DVR fees on the new receiver if I do the VIP upgrade instead of the simple swap to a DVR522?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:27 PM

I currently have a 508 and 721 and got the letter today. I looked online and they said I could get the 722 installed for $200, 622 for $150 installed. CSR said they couldn't go any lower and that I couldn't install it myself. On the plus side, they're coming this Friday (they could have come as early as Wednesday). Not as good a deal as initial poster, but I'm ok with it. I will need to pay $10/mo. extra, no DVR fees, but did have to agree to a new 2 year commitment. I'll drop the 508 after the install, than my monthly cost will only increase $5/month since I won't have the extra receiver fee. Right now I pay $42.99 ($37.99 plus $5 extra receiver fee). Initial increase will go to $52.99, once I drop the 508 it will drop $5.

#63 OFFLINE   Tron

Tron

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:08 AM

Maybe, its worth a try. I've been with them about the same and that's my package. I have a DVR fee waiver on my 7200 (part of the deal when I originally bought it, temporarily lost it, then got it back when I contacted ceo@echostar). My other DVR was a 721 which died and was replaced w/ a 522 no charge and no DVR fees. On the phone anyway, the deal is no lease charges, no DVR fees, just pay what I'm paying now. The only catch is that the 625 is officially leased, I won't own it like I do my 7200 and 522. But neither do I have to return the 7200. Not sure what I will do with it though, as it will shortly be a paperweight. I would get a modest credit on my bill if I return it (I think it was $20). I thought about eBaying it, but it would be useless as a functional reciever - only good as a collector's item. Which is the one reason I have to hang on to it - the first DVR reciever and the only (so far as I know) reciever w/ webTV.

Did you have to agree to any 12/24 month commitment? What about the phone line fee? I've been with dish since 2000 and have 2 7200s and 2 721s and have never been hooked up to a phone (would be a major pain). Also, it seems the 625 has some kind of funky wireless ability to display the second tuner on another TV? (And the 522 doesn't?) If so, I wonder if I can get rid of at least 1 receiver on the account. Finally, I wonder if it's best to call afterhours or during 'peak' hours to get a nice CSR??

#64 OFFLINE   kb9lfr

kb9lfr

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:35 AM

In my case, I told them it would be too hard to install a phone line, and I got a phone line waiver (but if I ever hook up a phone line to my new 625, I must keep it connected always).
As to getting a nice csr, you can always ask to be put through to someone in the customer retention department. Once I was switched over, the new person was much more helpful.
Waiver for phone line, no install cost, no 24-month committment and no charge to go from a 7200 w/1 tuner to a 625 with 2-tuners.
My monthly cost will remain the same.

#65 OFFLINE   veith

veith

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:44 AM

I received the letter last week, called 9-11, talked to Bethany and was assured there would be no lease or dvr fees for the foreseeable future. The 625 was installed 9-13.

Today, 9-16, I saw a lease charge on my bill online. I called and talked to Angel who insisted the lease fee applied in spite of my explanation of the forced dish initiated upgrade. She finally waived lease fees for one year only.

I just wrote to ceo@echostar and am awaiting a resolution.

Anyone else have this problem? Is there a better way or any tips on how to get this resolved?

#66 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 01:23 PM

The "lease fee" is the same thing as an "additional receiver fee" that you are paying for your owned 721. When a receiver is leased instead of owned, that fee is just called a "lease fee" instead. You have to pay for mirrored programming for additional receivers regardless of owned vs. leased.

#67 OFFLINE   neljtorres

neljtorres

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:36 PM

I got the same letter today, and I was surprised because when I called the told me since I am in Puerto Rico I have to go to a retailer and buy a new receiver. That's a bull I have been with dish since 1999 and the CSR treat me if I was worth crap and I said hell no! I ask for a supervisor and he could not help either!. I am so mad! Well I am going to have and keep on watching the 721 and when it dies, I don't know what I am going to do!:nono2:

Today finally, I got a call from Dish today and they are going to change my 721 for a 522. Well at least I got something out of nothing!

#68 OFFLINE   makman

makman

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:07 PM

Has anyone got a 722 in exchange for their 721 without any charge or new monthly fees? I don't have an HDTV but hope to get one someday.

Mitch

#69 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:16 PM

Has anyone got a 722 in exchange for their 721 without any charge or new monthly fees? I don't have an HDTV but hope to get one someday.
Mitch

No, they are charging me $200 installed (they wouldn't let me do it myself). I could get it free if I would take the 522. I know I want HD soon, so now is as good a time as any. The 622 has a lot less space and was only $50 cheaper, so I went with the 722. The CSR wouldn't even offer the HD DVR's until I said I wanted HD. Monthly fee will always go up for the HD service. I am NOT being charged a DVR fee. I am keeping the 508 for now and was told several times my bill will increase $10/mo. for the HD service.

#70 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:15 PM

I am planning on buying the HD set before Friday when the tech will come to do the install. When you move from a 721 to a 722 installed, will the tech bring all necessary cables including HDMI, or will they expect me to have those?

#71 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:06 PM

I am planning on buying the HD set before Friday when the tech will come to do the install. When you move from a 721 to a 722 installed, will the tech bring all necessary cables including HDMI, or will they expect me to have those?

Usally they will bring the component cables you have to provide HDMI if you want it.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#72 OFFLINE   kstuart

kstuart

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:51 PM

Usally they will bring the component cables you have to provide HDMI if you want it.

http://www.monoprice.com for excellent HDMI cables for very little $$, shipped quickly.

PS Some installers may provide an HDMI cable... some can bill it to E*. ;)
Still using Dish 500 production unit #000001 (pictured prior to upgrade to DPPlusTwin)
Olevia 542i fed by ViP622 and 522

#73 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:17 PM

What exactly are the differences between the 522 and the 625? I dont see the 522 even available to purchase anywhere. From what I can tell:

- both have a 120gb hard drive w/ 100 hrs of recording
- both have 2 tuners w/ a PIP option.
- I'm guessing both have a 9 day program guide??
- both are PocketDish compatible
- both have UHF remotes
- both have mult-room viewing options

So what is the real difference?

Do they include the DPP separator in the box?

#74 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,712 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:30 PM

The only difference is HD size.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#75 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:43 PM

The only difference is HD size.

Well the 2 brochures I'm looking at say BOTH are 120 gig drives
http://www.dbsinstal...22_Receiver.asp
http://www.solidsign...m=Large-1#xview

Can I assume these receivers are backwards compatible? Compatible w/ Legacy hardware anotherwords.

#76 OFFLINE   veith

veith

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:58 PM

The "lease fee" is the same thing as an "additional receiver fee" that you are paying for your owned 721. When a receiver is leased instead of owned, that fee is just called a "lease fee" instead. You have to pay for mirrored programming for additional receivers regardless of owned vs. leased.

But I gave up my 721 to them for the $10 credit. I had only one receiver (the 721) and I still have only one receiver(the 625). So there shouldn't be any mirror fee?

Thanks for the reply,
Charles

#77 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:44 PM

Then you are correct, there should not be a lease/mirror fee.

#78 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:47 PM

Your 2 brochures can't withstand against real experience of thousands members here ! :D
Pepper at SatelliteGuys did that long time ago, I can confirm too - 522 will report itself as 622 on System Info screen after install 250 GB disk inside. Using same SW.

Well the 2 brochures I'm looking at say BOTH are 120 gig drives
http://www.dbsinstal...22_Receiver.asp
http://www.solidsign...m=Large-1#xview

Can I assume these receivers are backwards compatible? Compatible w/ Legacy hardware anotherwords.

#79 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,712 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:50 PM

yes
With legacy / DishPro, 1 cable to each tuner. With DishProPlus - one cable to the receiver (you can use the Seperator).
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#80 OFFLINE   Tron

Tron

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:50 PM

I received the letter last week, called 9-11, talked to Bethany and was assured there would be no lease or dvr fees for the foreseeable future. The 625 was installed 9-13.

Today, 9-16, I saw a lease charge on my bill online. I called and talked to Angel who insisted the lease fee applied in spite of my explanation of the forced dish initiated upgrade. She finally waived lease fees for one year only.

I just wrote to ceo@echostar and am awaiting a resolution.

Anyone else have this problem? Is there a better way or any tips on how to get this resolved?

This is what I'm afraid of happening... just getting a CSR's "word" that there won't be any fees etc. If it's going to be $1 more to my bill I just won't upgrade--sorry, not for Dishes poor legal record (seriously, how many legal cases have they won--ever?)
I just hate doing any upgrades of anything...they never go smoothly... I don't change cell phones/plans, I don't switch to Gieco just to save $50 a year etc.... the time and aggreviation in something going wrong just isn't worth it.
Anyway, please keep us posted! Users that have been here since 2000 and eariler should be grandfathered in for the life of the account and should not be 'upgraded' to extra fees that we were never paying to begin with.

Quick tech question: If I want to have 2 dual tuner receivers being fed by 1 coax each, what LNB and switch will I need? (And I would guess 1 diplexer for each receiver as well).

spam firewall