Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Letter: Upgrade Receiver (721 etc)

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 651 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:14 PM

I like the ""it's only 2 dollars and that's not very much is it?":)

You should have said "no it isnt. Since i am a good customer, and want to stay as one, dish shouldnt mind not charging me those 2 dollars, "it's only 2 dollars and that's not very much is it?":lol:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:36 PM

Just to note it, my 721 to 722 upgrade went pretty much like Webslinger's did -- except that I hadn't heard of anyone getting it for less than $125, so I ended up paying that instead of only $75 like he did. But, then again, I didn't have any change to my monthly fee (for lease or DVR stuff) except for the extra $10 for HD.

So, in the end, it all worked out well.

I will note that it did NOT go well at first -- they charged me 3 different times for installation that was supposed to be free. My $125 install turned into a $400 install. And my monthly went up $20/month at first because they did some higher HD tier than I had asked for. It took an email to CEO to get it all worked out. But, in the end, I pay exactly $10 more per month that I did before the 721->722 upgrade.

- John...

My facts were similar to yours except I paid more on installation ($200) and only ended up paying $5 more per month. I'm only paying $5 more and getting the HD because I no longer get charged for a second receiver. I had a 721 and 508 and only use the 722 now. I'm very happy with this setup.

#163 OFFLINE   Webslinger

Webslinger

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 05:32 PM

Just to note it, my 721 to 722 upgrade went pretty much like Webslinger's did -- except that I hadn't heard of anyone getting it for less than $125, so I ended up paying that instead of only $75 like he did. But, then again, I didn't have any change to my monthly fee (for lease or DVR stuff) except for the extra $10 for HD.

I had seen another poster mention the $75 figure, and that was my goal as was no DVR monthly fee. I was going to leverage DirectTV offering their top unit for $99 but didn't want to leave 24 dollars on the table. "Kevin" dropping right to $75 confirmed that it could be done and I was satisfied with that.

I guess they could try and bump me tomorrow when the Installer shows up for some antenna thing, but that would be a mistake.

#164 OFFLINE   Webslinger

Webslinger

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 05:34 PM

I FORGOT TO MENTION!!

Take with a grain of salt, but the last CSR rep said that the 721 would keep working until Jan 2009. I got this when said I'd have to think about the offer she gave me and how long before the 721 would stop working.

#165 OFFLINE   Webslinger

Webslinger

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 05:35 PM

I like the ""it's only 2 dollars and that's not very much is it?":)

You should have said "no it isnt. Since i am a good customer, and want to stay as one, dish shouldnt mind not charging me those 2 dollars, "it's only 2 dollars and that's not very much is it?":lol:

Oh yeah, the "only 2 dollars" really got me bent. I think at the end of the day I backed off because I have "Kevin" saying no lease amount and her saying the opposite. I'm thinking that's my recourse should I choose to chase down the ceo email route.

#166 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:15 PM

I FORGOT TO MENTION!!

Take with a grain of salt, but the last CSR rep said that the 721 would keep working until Jan 2009. I got this when said I'd have to think about the offer she gave me and how long before the 721 would stop working.

That's the current estimate when Dish is going to switch over to the new encryption system (Nagravision 3). When that happens, any receiver without a new purple access card will be a brick.

#167 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 14 November 2008 - 07:57 AM

Sigh.. I really DO have to call about replacing my 7200.

#168 OFFLINE   Zero327

Zero327

Godfather

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:38 PM

I love these stories. It's like having my own personal ant farm.
Four universal truthes:
1. All is fair in love and war.
2. Nothing is absolute but death and taxes.
3. "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

4. If you think the above three things shouldn't apply to you, e-mail CEO@dishnetwork.com.

#169 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:11 AM

Has anyone tried to see what E* will offer for old Dishplayers (7100/7200) if you want to go to HD? I'm looking at taking the plunge and finally getting a big screen. I looked at the comparison PDF that I found in another thread - very well done I might add - and I think I want a pair of 612s.

Now, I don't expect to get everything I want for free - I'll be wanting to go from one outlet to two and I'm certainly willing to make some sort of commitment, having been an E* customer for over 8 years.

Anyone been down this road yet or am I about to be the guinea pig? :)

#170 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:38 PM

So -- when I did the upgrade to the 722 in November, I took them up on their offer of HBO for 3 months free. Can anyone refresh my memory on if I have to call to make sure that doesn't renew and/or switch to paid service when my 3 months is up?

And, if I do have to call, anyone know if I can call NOW and tell them that I don't want to pay for it when it expires -- and then just continue getting it until the free cutoff? (I.e. so I don't have to worry about canceling it just in time to not have to pay anything?)

- John...

#171 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:58 PM

Yes, you have to call, and no, they can't put in an auto-shut-off; you'll have to call on the date you want to shut it off. If you go a few days in to the next month, they'll prorate the monthly fee.

#172 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:20 PM

Yes, you have to call, and no, they can't put in an auto-shut-off; you'll have to call on the date you want to shut it off. If you go a few days in to the next month, they'll prorate the monthly fee.

Does he have to pay the $5 downgrade of services fee?

#173 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,346 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:40 PM

Does he have to pay the $5 downgrade of services fee?

Not on one of the "special offers" such as the free for three month deals.

If he let it ride four or five months I'd expect the fee ... but with some complaining ("I forgot to cancel") it could be waived.

#174 OFFLINE   BBCInc

BBCInc

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:12 PM

Had a minor audio issue with the replacement 522 I got for my owned 721 and sometime during the ensuing back and forth with the Dish CSRs, one stuck me with a "gotcha" monthly DVR fee and additional receiver fee that no one in the chain other than ceo@echostar.com could correct.

Just a word to the wise, after only four months almost everyone at Dish has a bad case of amnesia about the urgent swap... One CSR even told me I had agreed to upgrade to a two tuner receiver in going from the 721 to the 522 and that that was why the fees were added (totally false, I agreed to the terms of the Urgent Letter deal everyone else agreed to). She offered to upgrade me, at the usual additional cost of course, from my present AT250 to AE, to avoid the fee. A supervisor could only offer to research the issue.

#175 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:23 PM

Just a word to the wise, after only four months almost everyone at Dish has a bad case of amnesia about the urgent swap...

Do be fair, with the turn-over rate typical of most call-centers, at least half of the CSRs will be new since 4 months ago...

#176 OFFLINE   BBCInc

BBCInc

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:37 AM

Do be fair, with the turn-over rate typical of most call-centers, at least half of the CSRs will be new since 4 months ago...

Surely, with all the wheeling and dealing going on involving these swaps, the CSRs have some kind of written record to fall back on, perhaps in the form of account notes, so they don't have to depend on retention, non-fading memories, etc.

spam firewall