Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Hurricane Ike

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   KalebD

KalebD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 12:52 PM

Being that Ike is making a b-line for Houston, at what wind level do you think I should start thinking about taking down my dishes from my roof to protect it's integrity?
PAX,
JD

"Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise." Proverbs 19:20
Samsung UN55D8000 w/Dish Hopper v1 w/Sling Adapter, PS3 Slim 120gb, Yamaha YSP-2200, Panamax 5400, Harmony One, PS3 ToothFairy
Vizio SV420XVTS w/Joey Receiver & PS3 60gb

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 608 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:27 PM

Being that Ike is heading on a course that will take it over central Fort Bend County, the majority of Houston will be east of the eye of Ike. The eastern side of a hurricane will get more rain, higher winds and the worse of the storm surge.

Areas in Houston that are prone to flooding will flood. Especially if you live near Braes or Buffalo Bayou. The close to the ship channel, the worse it will get.

Right now Ike is a category 2 storm with sustained winds at 100 mph. It will be a category 3 when it makes land fall. Thus, expect gusts nearly the 125 - 130 mp mark.

As for you dish. Take it down now if you are worried. Also, if you live south of I-10, I would be getting out of there after you secure your home. The last hurricane to hit Houston was Alicia in 1983. it was a category 1 and it did a lot of damage. You do not want to play around with a category 3.

Take it from a former Houstonian, and start heading out.

#3 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:35 PM

I agree with the previous post to be safe at all cost. Evacuate. As for your dish I would take it down if I were you. Gustav gave me gust of about 100-105+ and it ripped my dish almost completely off the roof. If you can,take it down.

#4 OFFLINE   priester68

priester68

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:42 PM

Gustav passed by me last week and I was worried about my dish. I said screw it and I'll just get a new one if it blows away. It stood strong and I only lost signal for a few minutes because of heavy rain. Thanks to a good install and my generator my week long labor day weekend was a blast. If you can hook dish back up yourself then I would take it down. Not sure how close to storm your gonna be but I had 80mph winds on me. Good Luck.

#5 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:48 PM

I would mark the position of the dish on the pole and then take it down. If it's marked it should be an easy reinstall when you get back from your evacuation (the last statement is my opinion on what you should do after taking the dish down). Good luck to you. I've been through similar and it is not fun. Get out of town.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#6 OFFLINE   KalebD

KalebD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:21 PM

Thanks. I am going to get my boards up this evening and in the AM then take my dishes down. Don't want roof damage. Should be easy to mark the pole and make sure that everything else is still aligned.

I will be staying put. I am in North Houston, so not worried about the flooding. My wife, being a nurse, drew the straw that keeps her at the hospital for the next few days. My daughter and I will hunker down.:grin:
PAX,
JD

"Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise." Proverbs 19:20
Samsung UN55D8000 w/Dish Hopper v1 w/Sling Adapter, PS3 Slim 120gb, Yamaha YSP-2200, Panamax 5400, Harmony One, PS3 ToothFairy
Vizio SV420XVTS w/Joey Receiver & PS3 60gb

#7 OFFLINE   msmith198025

msmith198025

Member of the Year

• Registered
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:27 PM

Good luck!

Been through several myself, and its no fun.

On topic, my superdish and my slimline went through Ivan, Katrina (both of these were very very powerful in my area), and Gustav, without so much as a hiccup. Now mine are pole mounted and cemented very very well. If I had a roof mount, and could take it down safely, I would have.

#8 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 608 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:33 PM

Thanks. I am going to get my boards up this evening and in the AM then take my dishes down. Don't want roof damage. Should be easy to mark the pole and make sure that everything else is still aligned.

I will be staying put. I am in North Houston, so not worried about the flooding. My wife, being a nurse, drew the straw that keeps her at the hospital for the next few days. My daughter and I will hunker down.:grin:

If you are north of 1960, you should be okay from the flooding as long as you are not near the Brazos or Trinity Rivers. They will ceratinly flood as the storm moves north through Teaxs. Also, mentioned earlier the wind is going to be your worse enemy, so the soone ryou get the dishes down the better.

As for the storm. I do not remember a recent category 3 coming this close to Houston. So, plan accordingly about staying, but also define a couple routes north-west just in case.

#9 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:56 PM

I wonder if DirecTV will give us a Houston news channel like they did with WDSU?

#10 OFFLINE   kf4omc

kf4omc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:34 PM

A thought for the future. Here in south Florida I had my Dish mounted to the side of the house so the dish fits under eve of the roof. This way it is out of the way of the strong winds and I dont have to worry about it blowing down.

#11 OFFLINE   thespaceghost

thespaceghost

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:37 PM

I wonder if DirecTV will give us a Houston news channel like they did with WDSU?

yes, channel 361 KHOU

#12 OFFLINE   Sandman

Sandman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:48 PM

For Gustav I took the dish off but left the arm and the lnb, just 4 easy to remove bolts

Bob

#13 OFFLINE   ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn

Icon

• Registered
  • 687 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:49 PM

yes, channel 361 KHOU

It's not up yet though.
My Toys:
Mitsubishi WD52628
Denon AVR-3806
Dish VIP622
Directv HR21
Pioneer Blu-ray
Monster HTS 2600
Control4 Media controller
Klipsch RB-25 Fronts, RC-25 Center
Klipsch CDT-3800-C In-ceiling rears x 4

#14 OFFLINE   jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:57 PM

Just take the four screws out that hold the dish to the bracket. The other pieces won't catch much wind. When the hurricane has passed, just reattach the reflector. That way, the settings on the bracket have not changed, and you won't need to have a technician come out to realign your dish. :icon_cool:icon_cool:icon_cool

#15 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:11 PM

For Gustav I took the dish off but left the arm and the lnb, just 4 easy to remove bolts

Bob

excellent idea.

#16 OFFLINE   compubit

compubit

AllStar/Supporter

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:47 PM

I live (lived?) in Galveston County and have (had?) my dishes mounted on a pole in the backyard (pole is 3 feet down in the ground in concrete...) - removing my dishes was the last thing on my mind - the bolts were recently tightened... We'll see how everything survives.

When I get back, I'll let y'all know how they survived...

Jim

p.s., I evacuated to Dallas (parents) - took the 211, but left the 510 and the 301 (only so much room in the car) and the parents have AT&T Uverse.

#17 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:13 PM

Good luck to you compu. I've been in your shoes and it's not fun

#18 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:30 PM

God bless and watch over all those who are staying
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#19 OFFLINE   compubit

compubit

AllStar/Supporter

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:34 PM

I haven't made it back, but apparently my dishes and house are all fine - a friend stopped by my house and power is even back on. Good news, considering the eye pretty much came right over my neighborhood.

I'm glad I have a house built to the new standards - a lot of the older homes didn't make it through.

Jim

#20 OFFLINE   todbnla

todbnla

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:52 PM

My Slimline wAs installed during Ike, we had gusts to about 70 mph, too. If it would have been roof mount I don't think the guy would have done it but 3 ft off the ground helped out s lot.
Hope all made it thru ok, this things suck.
Regards,
Todd

DirecTV Slimline->HR21-100->Vizio P50HDTV20A 50" Plasma via HDMI
H21-100->42" Vizio LCD via HDMI
H21-100->Polaroid 32"LCD via HDMI
Pioneer VSX1015TX 7.1, Panasonic DMP-BD10 Blu-Ray,
SVS 2531PCi sub, Polk R30 mains, Polk CS125 center, Polk R15 x4 rears

spam firewall