Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Hurricane Ike

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:11 AM

We got the aftermath of Ike on Sunday. Winds with gusts between 74 - 85 miles an hour moved through the area and did a LOT of damage. Duke Energy has 800,000 customers in this area and, at one time, 90 percent of them were without power. As of this morning there are still 560,000 without power (including myself). We were fortunate and did not suffer a lot of damage but it is going to be another long day of cleanup for a lot of my neighbors (and we are helping).

Full power is not expected to be restored until next week.
Bill R

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   pastorgadget

pastorgadget

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:40 PM

I lived in Beaumont when Rita hit. I took my dish down, and I was so glad I did. Whenever a hurricane is coming and if you have time take the dish down. Once power was restored I walked out remounted my dish. (I spray painted the mounts so all I had do to was fit the brakets where they were before). Connect my wires and I was done. All my neighbors and friends who had cable took 1-2 months to get connected. The cable tv lines are the last to be connected. First power then phone then cable in that order and time warner does not have the muscle the power and phone companies do. I now live in Michigan, I feel horrible for my friends in beaumont but glad I am no longer on the gulf coast. Hurricanes are the worst, give me a 4 foot snow storm any day over a Hurricane.

#23 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:50 AM

We got our power back. We are still doing a lot of cleanup in the neighborhood mainly helping the older neighbors. There are trees down all over the place.

I had one dish damaged by the storm. It was a larger one that I was using for the 129 satellite. I just put up a "regular" (18 inch) dish to get my HD channels back. For now it will have to do. There are much more important things to take care of first before I really worry about satellite service.
Bill R

spam firewall