Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How will Dish hook this up?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kendrid

kendrid

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:28 PM

I am currently a D* sub that wants to get rid of my $80/month bill (the best they can do for me with HD and PVR is $60/month).

I have my family room TV, basement HTPC and bedroom TV. With D* that is 3 receivers.

Dish told me that the family room PVR can be hooked up to the bedroom TV which is on another floor in my home. How exactly would they do this? I only have 2 runs of RG6 to my family room so I'm assuming they would want to run another to the bedroom and they aren't doing that outside my home.

Is that what the installer would want to do? The person at Dish didn't know, she just knew that "it could be done."

Hooking the PVR up to the HTPC wouldn't make sense since the HTPC is my overflow PVR.

I do have my entire home wired for network if that matters. If I get another receiver for the bedroom and I get a DVR I can stream from the other DVR, correct?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:31 PM

Hmmm. Which TV's need HD?

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   kendrid

kendrid

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:33 PM

Hmmm. Which TV's need HD?

The family room TV. I know where you are going. If it were the bedroom they could install the PVR in the bedroom and then use the existing RG6 to the family room for the 2nd output.

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:53 PM

One thing you may or may not know. The ViP622/722's cannot network with each other or a computer at this time. They do connect to your network to access the internet for DishONLINE, but there isn't much there.

The only way you can watch a program recorded on a different DVR is to have a USB external hard drive, move the program to the hard drive, and then physically move it. The DVR's have to be on the same account and must be in the ViP series.

Also, in your household how many different programs are being watched at the same time?

#5 OFFLINE   kendrid

kendrid

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:54 PM

phrelin - looking at your sig is making me think - maybe I should take my WD Essential 500gb drive and put it on the 722 and just not use the HTPC for tv anymore (it is SD anyway). I record a lot of movies from the premium channels and that seems like a better solution than the SD HTPC.

1 722 in the family room and 1 (whatever they give) PVR in the bedroom unless they can hook up the bedroom as the 2nd system then I'd only need 1 receiver. Hmm...

#6 OFFLINE   kendrid

kendrid

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:56 PM

One thing you may or may not know. The ViP622/722's cannot network with each other or a computer at this time. They do connect to your network to access the internet for DishONLINE, but there isn't much there.

The only way you can watch a program recorded on a different DVR is to have a USB external hard drive, move the program to the hard drive, and then physically move it. The DVR's have to be on the same account and must be in the ViP series.

Also, in your household how many different programs are being watched at the same time?

Thanks for the clarification. They said they could "stream" to each other.

Really at most we are watching two different shows at one time. The PVR in the bedroom isn't needed but would be nice if it could watch shows off of the other.

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,568 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:01 PM

They do connect to your network to access the internet for DishONLINE, but there isn't much there.

Somebody needs to take another look at DishONLINE. There is tons of stuff there including quite a bit of free stuff.

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,568 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:07 PM

You can't expect to get much help if you demand complete control of all of the parameters. It is kind of like asking someone to check the air pressure in your tires then informing them that they can't remove the caps because they might cross-thread them.

One cable per room terminating in a single location is usually enough. If you don't have that cable, you're going to need to get one installed by someone.

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,568 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:09 PM

Really at most we are watching two different shows at one time. The PVR in the bedroom isn't needed but would be nice if it could watch shows off of the other.

If this is the case, you could get by with a single HD DVR. You could send the distribution output to the other two rooms and tune into the TV1 or TV2 frequency with either of the remote televisions. You would have DVR support across the board this way.

#10 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:06 PM

DISH 722 has 1 HDTV output(tuner1) and one SD output (tuner2), Tuner 2 uses a coax cable to connect a second room frequently CH60 is the output there is no receiver in that room. Just a UHF remote control. Because they output both tuners you can't record a program on tuner2 and watch something different in the Tuner 2 room. With DISH if you have 2 DVRs you will pay 2 DVR fees of $5.98 each there goes some of your DISH savings. If the 722 isn't connected to a telephone or internet connection there is a second receiver fee applied there goes some more saving over Directv.

#11 OFFLINE   kendrid

kendrid

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:13 PM

DISH 722 has 1 HDTV output(tuner1) and one SD output (tuner2), Tuner 2 uses a coax cable to connect a second room frequently CH60 is the output there is no receiver in that room. Just a UHF remote control. Because they output both tuners you can't record a program on tuner2 and watch something different in the Tuner 2 room. With DISH if you have 2 DVRs you will pay 2 DVR fees of $5.98 each there goes some of your DISH savings. If the 722 isn't connected to a telephone or internet connection there is a second receiver fee applied there goes some more saving over Directv.

Thanks for the details. The online order form does not double the DVR fee when I add a second DVR. I have a phone connection and network connection by all TVs.

I am thinking about doing the 722 in the family room and a second normal receiver in on the HTPC. I think I have found an easy way to get the 722 hooked up the bedroom. It will be $42/month vs the $82/month I pay right now.

I currently use my D* receiver outputting to a HD projector over HDMI and my old Mits HD RPTV via component. I've read that the 722's outputs are all hot so that isn't an issue. I would like to verify that this is true. If so I'll have 3 dislpays hooked up to the 722 (both HD on the same "room").

Thanks for all of the info guys.

#12 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:34 PM

Somebody needs to take another look at DishONLINE. There is tons of stuff there including quite a bit of free stuff.

You're right. Sorry, I just meant nothing there for me.

#13 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:29 PM

If you have one coax going to the family room, and one coax going to the bedroom, and they meet somewhere (usually at the service entrance), then you're good to go. Dish can use a single cable to feed both sat tuners, and use diplexers to back-feed the TV2 output along that same cable back to the service entrance, where it is connected to the bedroom line.

You would need a third coax going into the HTPC room for your standalone receiver. You must have a standalone receiver to work with the HTPC; it won't work with the TV2 feed from the 722.

#14 OFFLINE   kendrid

kendrid

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:38 PM

If you have one coax going to the family room, and one coax going to the bedroom, and they meet somewhere (usually at the service entrance), then you're good to go. Dish can use a single cable to feed both sat tuners, and use diplexers to back-feed the TV2 output along that same cable back to the service entrance, where it is connected to the bedroom line.

You would need a third coax going into the HTPC room for your standalone receiver. You must have a standalone receiver to work with the HTPC; it won't work with the TV2 feed from the 722.

Thanks for this detailed reply. Too bad I didn't read it before I just did what I did. :)

I had two RG6 runs to the famliy room and I just added a third (just had to remove some ceiling tiles from the basement and pull the cable). I ran it to where the RG6 that goes to the second floor of our house is so all we have to do is hook it to TV2, hook it up to the bedroom RG6 and it should be good in both the family room and bedroom. If I had read your reply earlier I would have known that I could have used just two coax cables I aleady have. :)

It's time to call D* to see what they offer when I cancel.

#15 OFFLINE   kendrid

kendrid

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:34 PM

One last question then I order. Sorry for asking here instead of customer support but they have already misinformed me twice.

Can Dish send the TV2 signal from the 722 on the same RG6 line as a satellite signal all the way to a TV? We are considering having a receiver in the bedroom along with the TV2 from the 722 so if it is recording we can watch something else live. Probably overkill but my wife often records shows at 10 while I am watching a game (TV1) and she's want to watch something not recorded on TV2 (why can't she be easy and watch a recorded show...?). I only have one RG6 to the bedroom/second floor so I'm hoping they can combine the signals.

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,568 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:45 PM

Again, if you want to serve the HTPC, you'll need to locate the receiver within sight.

If the spousal unit is going to get snippy, put a ViP222 (or 322 if you subscribe to some SD programming) down in the HTPC room and give her the TV2 remotes.

You can backfeed, but you need to show some restraint. Since you already have enough cables in the family room, there's no reason to backfeed from there.

#17 OFFLINE   kendrid

kendrid

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:07 AM

I was going to ditch the HTPC but your recommendation of the 322 has changed that. The current plan is the ViP722 in the family room and a 322 in the basement feeding the HTPC and 2nd floor bedroom. I'd also like the TV2 from the ViP722 also sent up to the 2nd floor. That will give us a lot of flexibility.

Thanks for the suggestions.

spam firewall