Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Portable ATSC (digital) TV

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kfcrosby

kfcrosby

Godfather

• Registered
  • 376 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:27 PM

Portable ATSC (digital) TV

With the recent events in the news (aka Hurricanes) I started reviewing my own disaster kit (you know, for IF the big one strikes the New Madrid Seismic Zone) and found one glaring omission, a portable TV to receive the new digital format.

Anyone have any experience with any of these devices yet? I've thought about getting a plug-in card for the laptop but I have the feeling the laptop will be need for more than just watching TV....

Thoughts... suggestions.... ????

Kevin

Kevin Crosby
Memphis, TN
DirecTV subscriber since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   EXTACAMO

EXTACAMO

Godfather

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:37 PM

Here is something I found from a google search. http://www.lcddigital.tv/ The stuff is a little pricey though.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,192 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:46 PM

If it helps, many of the DTV converters are 12VDC. It seems the industry decided that it was easier to stop making ultra-portables than it was to outfit them with ATSC tuners.

It is likely that few have thought far ahead enough to recognized that the emergency radios that currently get TV audio won't work anymore either.

#4 OFFLINE   kfcrosby

kfcrosby

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 376 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:55 PM

It is likely that few have thought far ahead enough to recognized that the emergency radios that currently get TV audio won't work anymore either.

Yeah.. It was kind of a blinding flash of reality this weekend when I thought of this. I figure I can make most anything work off of my 12V system, just trying to conserve a bit more space.

I saw all of those pricey things on that LCDTV site... wowsa..... They ARE proud of those !

Kevin Crosby
Memphis, TN

#5 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:20 PM

I have a "ball game kit" that is just an old portable NTSC TV and one of those $40 government discount converters, and it works fine. But, you need AC, which we use an inverter hooked up to the car for that.

#6 OFFLINE   PTown

PTown

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:33 AM

LOL that lcddigital site just ripped off Best Buy's site.

Anyways, bit more reasonable.
http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1210377520598

#7 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,221 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:17 AM

LOL that lcddigital site just ripped off Best Buy's site.

Anyways, bit more reasonable.
http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1210377520598

Cute little thing but it is AC powered.

I would think for a disaster recovery kit, one would want a battery powered unit.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#8 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,642 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:34 AM

This one at Radio Shack has a built in Lithium Polymer battery
mixed reviews

#9 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,795 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:09 AM

I would think for a disaster recovery kit, one would want a battery powered unit.

The problem - the battery powered one at Radio Shack's battery is only good for about 2 hours (maybe). I'm keeping small TVs with either builtin ATSC tuners or a CECB for emergency use - 25 watts for a 12 inch B/W 20 year old TV and 8 watt CECB - should be good for a long time. I've got a 125 watt inverter, a 750 inverter, 2 cars, and a 12v jumper dry cell that work well for this situation.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#10 OFFLINE   kfcrosby

kfcrosby

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 376 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:44 AM

I've got a 125 watt inverter, a 750 inverter, 2 cars, and a 12v jumper dry cell that work well for this situation.

And hopefully a wagon to cart all that stuff around :)

Kevin Crosby
Memphis, TN

#11 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,221 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:44 AM

The problem - the battery powered one at Radio Shack's battery is only good for about 2 hours (maybe). I'm keeping small TVs with either builtin ATSC tuners or a CECB for emergency use - 25 watts for a 12 inch B/W 20 year old TV and 8 watt CECB - should be good for a long time. I've got a 125 watt inverter, a 750 inverter, 2 cars, and a 12v jumper dry cell that work well for this situation.

All of that is great if you can get to your car. In the event of a flood or tornado, I'm not sure I want to be sitting outside in my car. The Dry cell is a nice touch but unless you charge it regularly, it may not be ready to perform when you need it.

Our current emergency kit contains a AM/FM/Weather Radio. I would like to add a TV to mine but at the least is tried and true..

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#12 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:54 AM

You could always get a USB tuner and use it in a laptop. They're relatively inexpensive. Some have been for sale on Woot and the like.

#13 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,795 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:01 AM

I'll go one better on the radio - our's doesn't require batteries - it has a solar cell and a handcrank to power it as well as conventional batteries. Picked up from Woot on a 2 for tuesday :D. Gave the other one to a nephew .
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#14 OFFLINE   Tower Guy

Tower Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:16 AM

If it helps, many of the DTV converters are 12VDC.

I found only one with 12 volt input.

http://www.solidsign...D=T3AP-Pro#MORE

#15 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:39 PM

But customer review said battery lasted 2.25 hours.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#16 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,221 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:46 AM

But customer review said battery lasted 2.25 hours.

Yes, If you don't have power and your car is underwater or 3 towns over, it's better then nothing. If you convserve and turn the TV off now and then, you can make that 2.25 hours go along way.

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#17 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 04:40 AM

The Dynex TV (from BestBuy) has a built-in lithium-polymer battery designed to run the TV for about 100 minutes without recharging. The TV comes with a AC adapter and a car adapter, both which can be used to provide power and charge the battery.

#18 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:50 AM

Anyone getting the Radio Shack version, make sure you also have a portable antenna. I am 10 miles from our transmitters, and can pick up ZERO stations with the built in rod antenna unless I carry the TV outside. Works great when plugged into a 2 bay UHF antenna stashed in the closet and fed with RG6QS. Remember the TV stations might run reduced power if a disaster strikes interrupting power (as we discovered when IKE came through). We lost several stations completely, one went to generator at very low power. Only one full power station remained on ATSC for 24 hrs until power was restored.

An APC UPS will power the TV for a LONG time, as will a car battery/inverter.

#19 OFFLINE   kfcrosby

kfcrosby

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 376 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:37 AM

Anyone getting the Radio Shack version, make sure you also have a portable antenna.

So it does have an external antenna jack... cool

Kevin Crosby
Memphis, TN

#20 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:10 PM

Yes. The rod antenna is actually just mounted on top with a short piece of attached coax and a F connector. To use the rod antenna, you have to attach it to the antenna In jack....Its not an internal antenna at all...and from testing, at various lengths, its only remotely effective on the vhf hi band.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...