Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

4DTV for Ku

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AntAltMike_*

Guest_AntAltMike_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2003 - 07:44 PM

Would it be possible for any satellite manufacturer to make a Ku-capable satellite receiver any more useless than Motorola's 4DTV?

When I first installed a 4DTV several years ago, there were several "predefined" Ku satellites, as well as at least four assignable C-band designations and four assignable Ku band ones (CA-CD and KA-KD).

A year or so ago, there were just four predefined satellites and no assignable ones. That was a big problem for the sportsbar I was installing those receivers in.

Today, I just installed a 4DTV receiver with 24 C-band defined satellites, and just one Ku band: SBS-6

And it gets worse. SBS 6 only has 19 transponders on it even though there is room for 32, 30Mz-wide transponders in that slot. The predefiined SBS-6 satelite recognizes only 19 transponders, but they aren't the exact same ones that SBS-6 uses. SBS 6 doesn't use the 19 lowest frequency transponders, but as far as I can tell, 4DTV tunes the 19 lowest, so I can't even manually tune anything above transponder 12 because the manual fine tuning only allows me to tune the natural transponder 19 up anouther 20Mz

Bummer.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 08:35 PM

SBS 6 has 19 wideband transponders which together cover the entire 500mhz. Sometimes a feed only uses half a transponder. In that case it would be referred to as transponder X upper or transponder x lower. Here is a link to what is claimed to be the channel mapping for 4DTV SBS 6: Hope it helps.
http://home.austin.rr.com/drlev/b6.htm

#3 Guest_AntAltMike_*

Guest_AntAltMike_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2003 - 08:44 PM

That chart shows the actual, intermediate frequencies of the SBS-6 transponders after they have been block-downconverted, but that is not the channel plan that 4DTV employs on its satellite defined as SBS-6. That chart shows Transponder 6 to have an intermediate frequency of 1098 Mz, which is consistent with its actual frequency of 11,848 Mz, but the 4DTV receiver can only tune that transmission by selecting transponder 18.

I connected a splitter to my Ku feed, and selected each of the nineteen available transponder numbers on the 4DTV receiver and then "fine tuned" the frequency from +20 Mz to -20 Mz on each and noted what I found for programming, and then I swept through the intermediate frequency band (950 Mz - 1,450 Mz) using a commercial Pico 3200 and found a few higher frequency transponders that the 4DTV could not reach.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...