Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Why do they keep telling me no?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cmtar

cmtar

Icon

• Registered
  • 590 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:39 AM

I have called Dish a few times about different things and every time they tell me that you do not have to pay for locals for your OTA locals to be integrated into the guide so you can record them etc.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   aloishus27

aloishus27

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:50 AM

I have called Dish a few times about different things and every time they tell me that you do not have to pay for locals for your OTA locals to be integrated into the guide so you can record them etc.

because you dont.... however you do need to subcribe to locals for the program INFO to be there... i.e. names of shows and info of that nature.

But if you know what is and at what time you can set up timers to do that I believe.
Customer since 1997
ViP622, 211
508 PVR
Model 3000 collecting dust

#3 OFFLINE   cmtar

cmtar

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 590 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:55 AM

because you dont.... however you do need to subcribe to locals for the program INFO to be there... i.e. names of shows and info of that nature.

But if you know what is and at what time you can set up timers to do that I believe.

So you dont have to pay the extra $5 or so for locals? I guess the word subscribe is confusing me then

#4 OFFLINE   aloishus27

aloishus27

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:32 AM

So you dont have to pay the extra $5 or so for locals? I guess the word subscribe is confusing me then

if you want info, you have to pay, if you want the channels to appear in the guide, but don't mind the info saying "Local Digital" then you don't have to pay.
Customer since 1997
ViP622, 211
508 PVR
Model 3000 collecting dust

#5 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:26 PM

I went through that for years with my old 921. I refused to pay for my locals since I got a perfect lock OTA (I live in the antenna farm).

I finally broke down anf subscribed to my Cleveland locals. Why? Because the price of AT-200 was going up and switching to DVR Advantage meant saving the cost of the price increase. An added bebefit was the waiving of the DVR fee. DVR fee and the Cleveland locals were so close in cost that switchng to DVR Advantage cost me only $1.01 more than what I was paying for AT-200 + the DVR fee and no locals before the Feb. '08 price increase!

To get DVR Advantage you need to sub to any "AT" package, have auto pay, no paper bill, and sub to the locals.

I now get my locals in HD & SD, plus OTA for subchannels (and an alternate way of getting my locals should there be rain-fade) and some out-of-market stations. The guide date even has info for most of the subchannels and OOM stations!
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#6 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:12 PM

You do not have to have paperless billing or autopay to get DVR Advantage.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

spam firewall