Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Experimental Small Slimline3 Dish

• Please log in to reply
462 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:04 PM

What sort of readings does the Phase III dish with the 101 110 119 LNB get on 101?

I've noticed that the readings from my SL3 LNB on the Phase III for 101 are lower than the readings on my slimline for 101. I'm wondering if this is due to the smaller size of the Phase III, or if maybe the SL3 LNB is at the wrong placement or focus for the Phase III - so it would be neat to know what readings a Phase III with the 101 110 119 LNB it was designed for gets on 101 for comparison with the 101 readings with an SL3..

There is no correct answer for this.

Some people alter the focal point of the LNB and can get higher 101 readings than with the straight up phase III since the gain of the SL-3 LNB is better than the older phase III LNB.

The point is that everthing you do with an SL-3 LNB on a phase III dish is a compromise.

IF you can get 99c,103c, & 101 somewhere 80 to 85 plus you are a super tweaker! It doesn't get much better than that!

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   jefe2514

jefe2514

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:11 PM

The real problem here (with this as a permanent setup) is going to be if you ever modify your IDU setup. If you ever have to swap a receiver, or activate a new one, you'll never pass Installation Verification with that thing. Thus you'll need the dish upgrade anyhow, that you'll likely be paying for.

Really? I had an 18" round dish installed on my H23 at home and I installed one of these dishes and ran the satellite setup for an SL3 dish and it finished the process just fine.

#223 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:00 PM

Really? I had an 18" round dish installed on my H23 at home and I installed one of these dishes and ran the satellite setup for an SL3 dish and it finished the process just fine.

Your stb was already activated, so IV isn't an issue there.
Why did you have an H23 setup with an 18" round?
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#224 OFFLINE   gomezma1

gomezma1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:02 PM

I have a Phase II dish. Will it work with this modification?

#225 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,399 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:31 AM

I have a Phase II dish. Will it work with this modification?

The Phase II is approximately 14% wider than the Phase III. You may be rewarded with slightly better results (or not).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#226 OFFLINE   gomezma1

gomezma1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:01 PM

I want to install A 5L SWM on my phase II dish. I don't care about the two HD satellites?
Can I use the alignments for two lnb's on the dish to get the three sat's like on the phase III dish?

#227 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:42 PM

I want to install A 5L SWM on my phase II dish. I don't care about the two HD satellites?
Can I use the alignments for two lnb's on the dish to get the three sat's like on the phase III dish?

Why would you use a SWM lnb if you don't care about getting the hd satellites? IIRC, only the newer hd receivers/dvrs can use the SWM lnb. It doesn't sound like you have any.

#228 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,102 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:28 PM

The D12 and R16 also are SWM-compatible. Perhaps a SWM8 would be easier to use with a Phase II/III dish.

#229 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:39 PM

The D12 and R16 also are SWM-compatible. Perhaps a SWM8 would be easier to use with a Phase II/III dish.

Not only easier but more reliable as the LNBs would actually be in the prime focal points.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#230 OFFLINE   jmikestock

jmikestock

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:52 PM

I just replaced my SL3 LNB with a SWM3 and used it for the first time in Destin, FL and got signals on 101 and 103 the mid-90's and 99 at 92%. This is with the altered DISH 1000-2. Not as small is the Phase III but still much smaller than the Slimline and mounts on the smaller mount. Signal distribution within the RV is much simpler than with my old standard SL3 LNB.

Of course Destin is a place where you would expect a strong signal.

#231 OFFLINE   LK2369

LK2369

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:04 PM

I need a small, portable HD dish to carry in my RV. I have been reading the posts on this forum. Questions:

1) Does DirecTV or other manufacturers make a small dish?

2) If not, is there a person who would construct one or sale? Matt?

#232 OFFLINE   jmikestock

jmikestock

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:40 AM

Matt:
If you can get your hands on a DISH Network 1000.2 dish I can give you simple instructions as to how to adapt it to work with the SL3 LNB. Mine works well and, when compared to the Phase III conversion, is much easier to set up and much more stable. This is what I use in my RV.

#233 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:50 AM

I haven't been around this thread in quite sometime sorry about that,the economy and job status have occupied most of my time.

The phase III dish conversion is still working for many of my customers in RV and permanent installs, Stability and rain fade are not major issues if signal numbers are maximized in the first place and the install is on a solid mount.

The slimline-3 LNB and SWM/SWiM versions work great,Yes a larger reflector can give higher signal numbers but the dish needs to be oval (multi-sat) not round,The point of this thread was to produce the smallest HD dish (18"X20") that did all the necessary functions and maximize portability also provide a chance of pulling off that near impossible install.

Sorry, I'm not getting into the business of building and selling these dishes for the simple fact they are not approved by DirecTV (Won't pass first time activation installer verification test) and a little tricky to aim properly.

If you read this thread and follow the information you can build one yourself normally for under $100.

Edited by Matt9876, 06 June 2010 - 12:18 PM.
More info

#234 OFFLINE   jmikestock

jmikestock

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:45 PM

Don't get me wrong. This is not a competition and I am not knocking the use of the Phase III. I used one for a while in the RV. I just found that the 1000.2 seemed to set up more easily and give better stablility.

The real test has been in being able to use the dish without a problem in the higher latitudes. The farther north you travel, the more difficult it becomes to get an acceptable signal from the KA's. So far I have been able to work with the setup as far north as Montana. Maine is my next destination in the RV. We'll see.

#235 OFFLINE   BennyGregg

BennyGregg

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:14 AM

I recently used a Phase III dish with an SL3 LNB in the Big Bend area of Texas, which is within the weaker areas of most of the beam footprint maps I have seen. I had no reception issues at all. Of course, it was sunny and hot for the entire week or so we were there.

#236 OFFLINE   illtww

illtww

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:18 PM

Ok all. I have been running the single LNB dish for Tailgating for the past 5 years.... And have an old 18x20 triple LNB dish sitting around collecting dust...

This year I want to upgrade. I have a 42" LCD and would like to watch the games in HD. Here are my questions..

1. Will my Phase III work correctly? It has the old 3-LNB. (3 seperate lnb's molded into 1 deal)

2. I need to buy a SL3 Lnb, Correct? (one that has 4 outputs on it...)
Will any brand work? WNC, Eagle etc...

3. I also want some input on which HD box is compatible with the SL3s LNB and has the
fastest boot up time. (I want to get to the signal meters fast like the old RCA boxes used to do) H21 H22 etc?

4. I currently have a tripod but it does not have any built in levels etc...

5. I would also like it to be relatively easy to line up... (this can be a pain on gamedays...)

Trying to do this on a budget as I have been out of work for a little bit.

Thanks! looking forward to your guys input!

#237 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:30 PM

Ok all. I have been running the single LNB dish for Tailgating for the past 5 years.... And have an old 18x20 triple LNB dish sitting around collecting dust...

This year I want to upgrade. I have a 42" LCD and would like to watch the games in HD. Here are my questions..

1. Will my Phase III work correctly? It has the old 3-LNB. (3 seperate lnb's molded into 1 deal)

It will, but a bit harder than the dish designed for the HD

2. I need to buy a SL3 Lnb, Correct? (one that has 4 outputs on it...)
Will any brand work? WNC, Eagle etc...

any will work

3. I also want some input on which HD box is compatible with the SL3s LNB and has the
fastest boot up time. (I want to get to the signal meters fast like the old RCA boxes used to do) H21 H22 etc?

all HD DVRs or HD will work, the fastest is the H24 / HR 24 but you may not be able to get one because Directv does not guarantee specific models

4. I currently have a tripod but it does not have any built in levels etc...

get a small spirit level and a compass with degree markings

5. I would also like it to be relatively easy to line up... (this can be a pain on gamedays...)

What you want to do is going to be harder as the marking on the dish are not designed for the new LNB

Trying to do this on a budget as I have been out of work for a little bit.

Thanks! looking forward to your guys input!

I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#238 OFFLINE   illtww

illtww

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:49 PM

I guess I could set the tilt and elevation before I goto the tailgate spot. Correct? Just have to make sure the tripod is level and pan left/right from there... Correct?

Is the H24 a brand new receiver? Being on a budget what receiver should i look for on E-bay? (my 2nd best option?)

Do they make a tripod that is affordable that has these built in? (level compass etc?)

Do I need to throw out the tripod in favor of something else?

Bonus question.
Do they make a receiver that can display 2 feeds at once?

#239 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:01 PM

I guess I could set the tilt and elevation before I goto the tailgate spot. Correct? Just have to make sure the tripod is level and pan left/right from there... Correct?

Is the H24 a brand new receiver? Being on a budget what receiver should i look for on E-bay? (my 2nd best option?)

Do they make a tripod that is affordable that has these built in? (level compass etc?)

Do I need to throw out the tripod in favor of something else?

Bonus question.
Do they make a receiver that can display 2 feeds at once?

setting Tilt and Elevation before would be good as long as the location is near where the dish is going to be used. remember the settings on the back of the dish may not be accurate for the new LNB
The H24 is new, and you may have issues finding an HD unit that is not leased.

they do make tripods that have built in levels, but they are not cheap

Tripod is the best route,
They do not make a RCVR that has 2 feeds unless you count the MRV which uses a network connection
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#240 OFFLINE   illtww

illtww

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:10 PM

It will be in 29631. (Clemson Football Games...) (I will get all my locals etc correct?)

Here is a little snippet from another site on the H24.
"H24 and HR24s installed on systems that DO NOT have a SWiM Switch require B-Band Converters"

I am going to be running a SL3 (4lnb output) this is not a SWiM LNB correct?
So I will need B-band converters?

Looks like the H23 is also very similar...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...