Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Experimental Small Slimline3 Dish

• Please log in to reply
462 replies to this topic

#321 OFFLINE   jmikestock

jmikestock

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:03 PM

I don't really know what you mean by tech specs. I just took a DISH 1000.2 and attempted to position a SL3 LNB in exactly the same position as the removed DISH LNB. Nothing technical about it.

The LNB horns are totally different so you have to look for another way to put the DirecTV LNB in the same position as the one removed. What I posted is a result of my best effort. I don't know anything else to say other than what has been posted.

Edited by jmikestock, 13 January 2011 - 11:44 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#322 OFFLINE   robsmithmortgage

robsmithmortgage

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:35 AM

This message is to Jim. What type of device do you use to aim your dish?

#323 OFFLINE   intruder351

intruder351

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:42 AM

Installation includes SL-3 non-SWM LNB mounted to Phase III 18 X 20 reflector using H23/600 receiver. Installation is located in Sebring, FL. After aiming dish at 101, even transponders show 80s and 90s signal strengths while odd transponders show 60s signal strengths from 101. 103 transponders show signal strengths only in the 50s while 99 transponders show no signal. No amount of alignment (azim, elev, tilt) effort improves theses signals. Cable is connected directly from dish to receiver. Getting local SD and HD with no issues. For national HD channels, only getting ESPNU HD. I am interested in receiving national HD channels beamed from both 99 and 103, but mostly from 103. My dish alignment tool is an Accutrac Pro II. Reset receiver with no improvement. Setup used is Slimline 3 with multiswitch. What are suggestions for improving reception of HD national channels? Get the dish aligned properly? LNB issue? receiver issue? What else?:confused:

#324 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:52 PM

Installation includes SL-3 non-SWM LNB mounted to Phase III 18 X 20 reflector using H23/600 receiver. Installation is located in Sebring, FL. After aiming dish at 101, even transponders show 80s and 90s signal strengths while odd transponders show 60s signal strengths from 101. 103 transponders show signal strengths only in the 50s while 99 transponders show no signal. No amount of alignment (azim, elev, tilt) effort improves theses signals. Cable is connected directly from dish to receiver. Getting local SD and HD with no issues. For national HD channels, only getting ESPNU HD. I am interested in receiving national HD channels beamed from both 99 and 103, but mostly from 103. My dish alignment tool is an Accutrac Pro II. Reset receiver with no improvement. Setup used is Slimline 3 with multiswitch. What are suggestions for improving reception of HD national channels? Get the dish aligned properly? LNB issue? receiver issue? What else?:confused:

You'll solve your issue by using the proper dish (reflector) instead of a hacked Phase III.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#325 OFFLINE   schneid

schneid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:09 PM

I am using a "hacked" Phase III with SL3 and only lose about 6 pts. Low 90's off 101 and low 80's off 99 and 103.

I am in Northwest so maybe the shot angle is much different.

#326 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:22 AM

The original intent of this thread was for "proof of concept" and to devise a temporary ,more portable solution for tailgating, RV usage or other mobile situations.

The phase III / SL-3 LNB is NOT considered adequate for permanent intallation. It can be done. Often it works very well. However it's limitations should be recognized and should not be expected to give permanent Slimline replacement results.

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#327 OFFLINE   intruder351

intruder351

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:24 PM

Got 'er done! Dish alignment was off. Signal levels now in 80s and 90's for all 101 transponders, 70s for 99 and 103 transponders. Acceptable for my RV application. Getting all local and national HD channels to which I subscribe.:grin::)

#328 OFFLINE   schneid

schneid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:08 PM

That a boy. Glad you didn't listen to the naysayers here.

#329 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:16 PM

That a boy. Glad you didn't listen to the naysayers here.

Saying that you should use the ODU designed for a particular application makes you a naysayer? :rolleyes:
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#330 OFFLINE   schneid

schneid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:40 PM

I think it's pretty obvious that an SL3/5 on a Slimline is ideal but that is/was not point of this thread. As an RV'er I was looking for a less cumbersome alternative to the Slimline.

I found the answer here as did many others. Plus it's fun. When warm comes back, I am going to try swapping in a Dish 1000.2. I've, God forbid, rooted my Droid too! I also tear "do not remove" tags off mattresses.

#331 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:47 PM

I think it's pretty obvious that an SL3/5 on a Slimline is ideal but that is/was not point of this thread. As an RV'er I was looking for a less cumbersome alternative to the Slimline.

I found the answer here as did many others. Plus it's fun. When warm comes back, I am going to try swapping in a Dish 1000.2. I've, God forbid, rooted my Droid too! I also tear "do not remove" tags off mattresses.

It's not ideal, it's correct.
What sort of TV are you using on your tailgate/rv that is so huge and great that you need MPEG4 programming for anything other than LiLs anyhow (IF you're in an MPEG4 only market)? And if you don't, why not use an 18" ODU?

#332 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:51 PM

What sort of TV are you using on your tailgate/rv that is so huge and great that you need MPEG4 programming for anything other than LiLs anyhow (IF you're in an MPEG4 only market)? And if you don't, why not use an 18" ODU?

SD looks like CRAP on even my small 19". I wouldnt watch it, and sure wouldnt want fellow tailgaters to watch it. HD on a 19" monitor looks fantastic in comparison. Try it yourself.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#333 OFFLINE   schneid

schneid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:31 PM

Gee, our "Experimental Small Slimline3 Dish " thread has gone south. I pay my bill and if I want to watch HD in a tent on a 12" display with a pie pan for a dish, that's my business.

Thanks to those who have helped us set up our quick and dirty HD installs. I apologize for all of all of us that some self-appointed DirecTV policemen find us other than "correct". Sorry some have a problem with that.

#334 OFFLINE   humanjas

humanjas

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:01 AM

Are you serious? It took 15 minutes to swap the LNB and another 10 minutes to aim the dish correctly the first time. And I would in no way consider myself a satellite expert. However, I easily recognize the quality difference between SD and HD on my two 22" tv's. I consider my 25 minute time investment well worth it for the six tailgating Saturdays a year.

#335 OFFLINE   sweep49

sweep49

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 163 posts
  • LocationSW GA

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:25 AM

You can't be serious. What an inappropriate question this is in 2011.

HR22-100 + AM21
HR22-100

HR44-500 + AM21
H21 + AM21

Self installed:
Slimline 5
SWM-16
MRV

#336 OFFLINE   schneid

schneid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:40 AM

Do think it is okay that we watch in color?

#337 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:03 PM

Seriously :D

#338 OFFLINE   intruder351

intruder351

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:24 AM

The phase III / SL-3 LNB setup for my RVing app is giving me HD viewing which I much prefer over SD. Very pleased with this "experiment" thus far. As expected, did see some reception break up during recent heavy rain and winds, but disturbance lasted only a few minutes. This experimental setup has been related to other RVers here in the park.

#339 OFFLINE   schneid

schneid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:27 AM

I anticipate come summer, there will be shortage of PhaseIII's. This mod is so simple most anyone wit can do it.

#340 OFFLINE   schneid

schneid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:10 AM

I just picked up a "Dish" 1000.2 off eBay. I intend to swap it in in place of the Phase III as a poster said the results are better on the 99 and 103. It is roughly the same size but 3" wider.

What is encouraging is that the bolt pattern matches that of the Phase III so that is one challenge behind me. Probably won't take for a spin for a few months as I want to be some place warm and stationary so I can play with arm angles and lengths. But then, maybe I'll get lucky and it will be fine just the way it is.

Got to do something about the unholy "Dish Turbo HD" logo too. Don't want to advertise for the dark side.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...