Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Experimental Small Slimline3 Dish

• Please log in to reply
462 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:51 PM

The only real problem I see is rain fade will last longer with a smaller dish. But also note 85 signal strength for the Ka band isn't to shabby either.:)

One could always chant "Rain, Rain, GO Away, Come again some other day," but I doubt it would work
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   thespaceghost

thespaceghost

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 02:14 PM

I quickly threw one together and Im getting 94-100's on 101. 70's-80's on 103 and 40's-50's on 99. I might fool with it a little more later. This was a whole lot easier than doing a slimline :)

#23 OFFLINE   bruinfever

bruinfever

Godfather

• Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 02:30 PM

Congratulations on making it work...You just did in 2 days what DirecTV hasnt been able to do in a year...Would you be willing to move to El Segundo, CA???

#24 OFFLINE   Birdman79

Birdman79

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:30 PM

We have been told that we're suppose to be getting a new HD dish starting next year.It's suppose to be as small as a triple sat ,and would aim at 99,101,103.Iam crossing my fingers hoping it's true.:)

#25 OFFLINE   kevinm34232

kevinm34232

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:20 PM

Success! I did it today too, on a gulf front condo where they didn't want the massive dish. It took quite a bit of tweaking but it worked. BTW, this was a private install, I'm guessing DTV would never go for it. I took some pics on my phone, I have to xfer them. Thanks Matt.

#26 OFFLINE   bruinfever

bruinfever

Godfather

• Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:24 PM

We have been told that we're suppose to be getting a new HD dish starting next year.It's suppose to be as small as a triple sat ,and would aim at 99,101,103.Iam crossing my fingers hoping it's true.:)

Yes, they are on schedule to come in right after the DirecTV Media Center Tuner is released...Should be any minute now....hold it....hold it......

#27 OFFLINE   Supervolcano

Supervolcano

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:31 PM

Yes, they are on schedule to come in right after the DirecTV Media Center Tuner is released...Should be any minute now....hold it....hold it......

Ummm, think Telstar is referring to the Slimline-3 dish.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=133958

As you can read, it's already available in select markets.
;)
Click Here to See my Equipment and SWM8 Configuration.
Click Here for My Theories on why we have no shouldn't have DLB yet.
Click Here to Review cbaker's "Long Term (Multiple CE) Bug List".

#28 OFFLINE   Birdman79

Birdman79

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:46 PM

Ummm, think Telstar is referring to the Slimline-3 dish.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=133958

As you can read, it's already available in select markets.
;)

No actually i was referring to a different dish.No monopoles,1 5/8 mast,just like an 18x20.

#29 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:49 PM

No actually i was referring to a different dish.No monopoles,1 5/8 mast,just like an 18x20.

as we have seen, an 18 X 20 will work for a 99, 101, 103 dish, I bet they just take the Phase III dish and stick a KA KU 3 lnb on it.
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#30 OFFLINE   kevinm34232

kevinm34232

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:02 PM

Sorry they're blurry. Note I messed with azimuth, elevation, and tilt for over an hour, and 2 different LNB manufacturers (which made a difference). The fine tuning bolts are very necessary. The end result were settings very close to recommended ka/ku settings for this area.

Attached Thumbnails

• a2df4eaa88d3.jpg
  • 2b96b3517ab9.jpg
  • 8d58fc98b7de.jpg

#31 OFFLINE   gen2rx7

gen2rx7

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:51 PM

We got a Phase III dish with the Slimline 3 LNB to work, we are just worried about the rain fade issue. The dish is installed on the northern coast here in Cali, so a few more weeks we should see some good rains and find out what happens.
:)

#32 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 05:35 AM

Sorry they're blurry. Note I messed with azimuth, elevation, and tilt for over an hour, and 2 different LNB manufacturers (which made a difference). The fine tuning bolts are very necessary. The end result were settings very close to recommended ka/ku settings for this area.

94 for 99© and
91 for 103©,not bad ,very good tweaking never got past 85 on mine.:)

#33 OFFLINE   james2006

james2006

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:11 AM

I have directv at my apartment in San Francisco just for Sunday Ticket. I have to open my window and swing around the dish every time I want to watch, so I basically have to pray for good weather on Sunday's or really bundle up to avoid freezing

Anyway, I was probably the only person disappointed that Sunday Ticket moved from Mpeg2 to Mpeg4 this year, because my window is not big enough for a slimline, so I have to stick with the 18X20.

Obviously I'm thrilled about the potential for making my 3lnb into a slimline. But I do have a few questions. I'm a bit concerned about getting a good signal on 99 and 103 b/c my 101 signal right now is only about 85-90. Also, you mentioned a difference in the LNB manufacturers...I just ordered one from Ebay...which one gave you better results? Also, I know I'm supposed to secure the LNB to the arm with self tapping screws...what size did people use? Finally...what are the tuning bolts that you talk about? Are you talking about the elevation and tilt on the back of the 3lnb?

Thanks for the help, and sorry for the stupid questions.

#34 OFFLINE   colebert

colebert

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:46 PM

I have directv at my apartment in San Francisco just for Sunday Ticket. I have to open my window and swing around the dish every time I want to watch, so I basically have to pray for good weather on Sunday's or really bundle up to avoid freezing

Anyway, I was probably the only person disappointed that Sunday Ticket moved from Mpeg2 to Mpeg4 this year, because my window is not big enough for a slimline, so I have to stick with the 18X20.

Obviously I'm thrilled about the potential for making my 3lnb into a slimline. But I do have a few questions. I'm a bit concerned about getting a good signal on 99 and 103 b/c my 101 signal right now is only about 85-90. Also, you mentioned a difference in the LNB manufacturers...I just ordered one from Ebay...which one gave you better results? Also, I know I'm supposed to secure the LNB to the arm with self tapping screws...what size did people use? Finally...what are the tuning bolts that you talk about? Are you talking about the elevation and tilt on the back of the 3lnb?

:righton:

Weather is always great in San Francisco.

Major props on the lengths you go to in order to get Sunday Ticket. I'd be doing the same thing in your situation. Hope the Slimline mod works out.

#35 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 01:58 PM

No problem.

Edit: New info on LNB attachment see post #48

Adjustment screws he is talking about are on the back of the AU9 and slimline 3 and are for fine tuning adjustments, yes it wound be nice to have on the phase3 dish as Ka signals are touchy but I got it working good in about 10-15 mins from scratch,just lightly tighten the adjustment stops till you get the signals correct then lock it down a bit tighter.:)

WNC AU9 heads work good/slimline 3 heads work good "confirmed". Any more information on this subject would be welcomed.

#36 OFFLINE   kevinm34232

kevinm34232

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:43 PM

I think the LNB I used above with the white caps is the WNC. Also, I tried self tapping it and didn't like the results so I just used the holes on the triple sat arm, and the LNB hangs out about 1/2" but you can tighten the down with the nuts and it keeps the signal about the same.

#37 OFFLINE   dacoop2

dacoop2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:18 PM

I have a phase III up right now at my apartment. I'm going to order a slimline LNB and try this next week. Wish me luck!! And thanks for the info!!! :D

#38 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:40 AM

I think the LNB I used above with the white caps is the WNC. Also, I tried self tapping it and didn't like the results so I just used the holes on the triple sat arm, and the LNB hangs out about 1/2" but you can tighten the down with the nuts and it keeps the signal about the same.

With the high signal numbers you were able to get this is probably the best method to secure the LNB head,I did notice the alignment of the holes as the LNB is inserted about half way.

This just gets better every day. Thanks all!:)

#39 OFFLINE   dacoop2

dacoop2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:38 PM

I just got one of those WNC LNBs off EBay for $7.99.

#40 OFFLINE   ironwood

ironwood

Icon

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 01:32 PM

This is great success guys! You just proved to Directv that they should fire all their engineers for wasting millions and use this forum for free advice.

On a serious note though I think they took into consideration the fact that 1) installers dont always peak right 2) installers dont mount dishes right 3) some areas have winds and rain. But in ideal conditions smaller dish obviously work as long as customer can peak it himself. Which is great. Next step is to try it with International dish it must work even better than triple sat.

spam firewall