Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Experimental Small Slimline3 Dish

• Please log in to reply
462 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   dkouz

dkouz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:15 PM

Next step is to try it with International dish it must work even better than triple sat.

Why? That POS is the worst dish D* has ever made.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   thespaceghost

thespaceghost

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:21 PM

Next step is to try it with International dish it must work even better than triple sat.

The slimline and international are both 36". The international has a poor weight distribution, no fine tuning adjustables and does not work with standard mounts.

yes, this dish is a POS.

#43 OFFLINE   kevinm34232

kevinm34232

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:25 PM

Why? That POS is the worst dish D* has ever made.

Yea, Ill put a Slimline up anyday over that pain in the butt 20 minute to assemble crap... But Im sure it would work just fine for the 99 and 103....

#44 OFFLINE   kevinm34232

kevinm34232

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:34 PM

Sorry they're blurry. Note I messed with azimuth, elevation, and tilt for over an hour, and 2 different LNB manufacturers (which made a difference). The fine tuning bolts are very necessary. The end result were settings very close to recommended ka/ku settings for this area.

BTW this woman is still not happy with this... here comes her 18" dish right back..

#45 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:30 AM

BTW this woman is still not happy with this... here comes her 18" dish right back..

Sorry to hear this especially after you spent so much time making it work, Hope she is happy with SD (101 bird only).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question:So using the 5lnb I should still set the receiver for Slimline3 right?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Answer:

I've been testing the WNC 5LNB with the receiver set to Slimline 3 so far it works better, no 771 errors and the guide data always seems to download properly.

No missing channels or errors of any kind using 99-101-103 :)

The old mpeg2 HD channels in the 70s are just gone from the guide and the local SD channels from 119 just show up with a black screen,HD counterparts work great for east Tenn area.

#46 OFFLINE   tadfad

tadfad

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 03:06 AM

The original 18" x 24" dish that received 101 & the spanish channels from 119, aka para todos dish, would be worth testing. Perhaps that was the dish the poster meant. Here is a photo of the type I'm referring to:

http://bestsyndicati...ct_tv_works.jpg

The larger surface area (when compared to the 18 x 20 phase III) would seem to be a plus, but the lnb arm mount looks to pose more of an issue for trying to mount the sl3 or sl5 lnb.

A Dish 500 or other Dish Network model might be worth trying as well.

Also am wondering: has anyone tried the Eagle Aspen (clear covers) 5 LNB with the phase III? Does the WNC LNB (white covers) work better on the phase III - is there a measurable difference?

#47 OFFLINE   kevinm34232

kevinm34232

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:04 AM

I tried both, the WNC seemed to fit better and 'seemed' easier to tweak settings but overall worked the same.

#48 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:08 AM

How to build your own small HD dish for DirecTV:

LNB heads that work well when mounted to a phase 3 dish (18" X 20"),this is for 99 (HD),101 (SD),103 (HD) operation.

Slimline-3 LNB (SWM/SWiM versions OK) with receiver set to slimline 3. "Best all around operation :)"

WNC AU9 5 LNB (white caps) with receiver set to slimline 5. "Good operation but 771 errors for SD locals on 119 satellite and possible guide data issues "

Eagle Aspen (clear covers) 5 LNB with receiver set to slimline 5. "Good operation harder to mount LNB head also 771 errors for SD locals on 119 satellite and possible guide data issues "

Use slimline setup numbers to do course alignment of 101 signal, use 99(c/a/b) and 103(c/a/b) meter readings to fine tune and balance Ka band HD operation (The 14/16 transponders group for 99 and 103 is the key), signal numbers will range from the low 70s to the mid 90s for 99-101-103.

Adjust the tilt a little till 99 & 103 are balanced,Your going see low numbers on it initially probably in the 50s-60s then go back to the elevation adjustment and find the highest signal numbers for 103 & 99, signal numbers from the low 70s to the mid 80s are normal.

Use the normal screws/nuts in the pre drilled holes of the arm and LNB assembly, this alignment occurs when the LNB is inserted about half way.

The highest Ka signal numbers so far is when the LNB is fully inserted and flush in the arm tube,drilling new holes in the tube arm at the correct place and using the normal hardware to secure the LNB works well.

The key on the bottom of the LNB must pass to the inside of the dish arm tube,this can be done with a flat blade screw driver or metal nipper to make a notch for the key to fit into or the LNB key can be ground away with a grinder for a cleaner better fitting LNB.

FYI: I don't recommend the use of the 18" round or any round dish,you will end up with missing transponders.

Disclaimer : This dish is experimental and not supported by DirecTV.

Having said that we have many successful setups working out in the real world:)

Edited by Matt9876, 07 June 2011 - 03:28 PM.
more info

#49 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,453 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:10 AM

Having worked on a KAKUKIT lnb downsizing a 1.2 meter to 1.0 meter dish I found the focal point to be an issue.
The lnb arm of the AU-9 dish is longer than the Phase III.
The beam of the 99 &103 may be too narrow on the phase III arm.
I'm going to "extend " the LNB arm on a phase III dish and see if I can get better signals on 99 & 103 simultaneously.
Was able to get 90's on 99 or 103 but not together.
Compromise was usually 60's to 80's.
All channels worked just want a little more margin!

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#50 OFFLINE   james2006

james2006

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:19 PM

OK...I got the LNB in the dish arm, and adjusted the elevation and tilt to the settings for the 5 LNB, but I was unable to get a signal on 101. I think this might be due to the narrow tolerances that I have b/c the window is pretty small. As it stands now, the dish is pointing pretty much straight out the window, but it is keying of 110. The 5 LNB keys off 101, so the dish needs to go to the right, and I think this might be where I am having problems. Here are the numbers for SF

3 LNB set-up

Elevation: 45.8
Azimuth: 145.9
Tilt: 105.1

5 LNB set-up

Elevation: 41
Tilt 115
Azimuth 132

As I mentioned before, my signals are only about 85 for 101 right now. Also, I'm not sure how far over 132 is from 146 (I don't have a compass). Do you guys thunk I need to move the dish foot in order to compensate for the different azimuth?

Here is a picture of the dish using the old 3 LNB

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG00016.jpg

#51 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:25 PM

Don't forget you'd have to make an adapter to make the LNB fit on the 95 dish.

Must say this is awesome.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#52 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,453 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:29 PM

101 for you will be your lowest and leftward KU sat. Bldg or construction to the left of the picture could be a problem.
You need a compass and try an estimate on an inclinometer with an estimate elevation on the 101 line.

www.dishpointer.com might help also.

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#53 OFFLINE   ironwood

ironwood

Icon

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:30 PM

Don't forget you'd have to make an adapter to make the LNB fit on the 95 dish.

Must say this is awesome.

I would use good ole plyers and heavy-duty wire cutters. Just cut sides of the dish arm, drill holes for two arm bolts and should be good. You'd actually be surprised how soft new dishes are, in China they dont use regular metals anymore, its more of a soft material that can be easily cut and adjusted with wire cutters.

I actually had to cut piece of KaKu arm once with wire cutters because I put it the wrong way and LNB wouldnt go in all the way.

#54 OFFLINE   kevinm34232

kevinm34232

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:02 PM

Went back out to the condo where I did the 18x20 and 5LNB. The owner was real picky and wanted it mounted on the wall and not on the bracket I had for the Slimline which extended it out from the wall. Now, clearance was a problem for the dish and the wall. So I had to tilt the mast down out of plumb knowing what a pain it would be. I wound up getting low to mid 80's on 99 and 103 after quite a bit of tweaking. (Mid 90's on 101). It definetely is always a trade off of 99 or 103 though. A couple of transponders would hit 78 sometimes so I wasn't real happy, but it is what it is. They were ready to put the 18" dish back up so I guess the HD is a bonus at this point. All channels were coming in nice weather though.

Also, seemed to lose a couple of points when I tried to use the existing LNB mount holes over pushing it in flush where they don't line up. I just pushed it in completely and secured the wires so it wouldn't pull out.

Anyone know what channels are on the 99 sat? I know our HD locals are on 103 and most every other channel I know of, so I tended to try to favor that sat.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0923081751.JPG

#55 OFFLINE   ironwood

ironwood

Icon

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:08 PM

Went back out to the condo where I did the 18x20 and 5LNB. The owner was real picky and wanted it mounted on the wall and not on the bracket I had for the Slimline which extended it out from the wall. Now, clearance was a problem for the dish and the wall. So I had to tilt the mast down out of plumb knowing what a pain it would be. I wound up getting low to mid 80's on 99 and 103 after quite a bit of tweaking. (Mid 90's on 101). It definetely is always a trade off of 99 or 103 though. A couple of transponders would hit 78 sometimes so I wasn't real happy, but it is what it is. They were ready to put the 18" dish back up so I guess the HD is a bonus at this point. All channels were coming in nice weather though.

Anyone know what channels are on the 99 sat? I know our HD locals are on 103 and most every other channel I know of, so I tended to try to favor that sat.

I am surprised they let you mount on the wall of a condo. In this situation might be a good solution to use non-penetrating mount.

#56 OFFLINE   kevinm34232

kevinm34232

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:27 PM

Yea, I know. But this isn't the typical condo. It's a $5 million dollar house in a building. We are working with the building mgmt and the builder doing the remodel. The only real issue they had was they didn't want 1/2" holes drilled toward the outside edge of the building for lag shields. It's mounted old school.
I can't imagine ever having a need to do this again, and I read this post the same day the owner's wife had a fit about the Slimline, so I really have to thank DBStalk and Matt9876.

#57 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:45 PM

I mainly did this to figure out if I could make DirecTV HD portable.

Although the first dish isn't perfect it works and breaks down to almost nothing,very portable.

I'm sure many that have a phase 3 dish on a RV, camper or tailgate rig will find this information useful.:)

#58 OFFLINE   kevinm34232

kevinm34232

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:57 PM

True, I need to find some of these people :) The people I did it for have no idea what went into it and could care less. I was working for their AV guy who had to TRY to please both of them.

#59 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:55 AM

OK...I got the LNB in the dish arm, and adjusted the elevation and tilt to the settings for the 5 LNB, but I was unable to get a signal on 101. I think this might be due to the narrow tolerances that I have b/c the window is pretty small. As it stands now, the dish is pointing pretty much straight out the window, but it is keying of 110. The 5 LNB keys off 101, so the dish needs to go to the right, and I think this might be where I am having problems. Here are the numbers for SF

3 LNB set-up

Elevation: 45.8
Azimuth: 145.9
Tilt: 105.1

5 LNB set-up

Elevation: 41
Tilt 115
Azimuth 132

As I mentioned before, my signals are only about 85 for 101 right now. Also, I'm not sure how far over 132 is from 146 (I don't have a compass). Do you guys thunk I need to move the dish foot in order to compensate for the different azimuth?

Here is a picture of the dish using the old 3 LNB

Something is wrong with your numbers the elevation should be higher with the 5lnb head. I would scan for 101 signal by going up 1 degree in elevation and scanning slowly left and right if no signal go up one more degree and scan again.

Once you get 101 to it's highest start fine tuning 99© and 103©

Hint it's 5-6 degrees higher than the old setup and 9-14 degrees different in azimuth.

post #48 contains latest information.

#60 OFFLINE   Rockaway1836

Rockaway1836

Godfather

• Registered
  • 512 posts
  • LocationMyrtle Beach

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:02 AM

I mainly did this to figure out if I could make DirecTV HD portable.

Although the first dish isn't perfect it works and breaks down to almost nothing,very portable.

I'm sure many that have a phase 3 dish on a RV, camper or tailgate rig will find this information useful.:)

I think you could add vacation home to the list as well. I'm going to try this for my nephew as soon as he gets his hands on an LNB.. Great idea Matt !!!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...