Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Experimental Small Slimline3 Dish

• Please log in to reply
462 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:36 AM

jefe2514

You have very good numbers no additional tweaks required,Alignment of 99 & 103 slots with the fourteen transponders are the key to stable HD reception.

Good job!:)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   jefe2514

jefe2514

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:43 PM

Thanks for the info and compliments guys! I honestly did not know how good this would work but so far I have had a few rainstorms and several windy days in the area and I have had not any problems. It was much easier to align than I originally thought as well.

#143 OFFLINE   n6nfg

n6nfg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:19 PM

I am looking to create a portable RV dish for 101, 103, and 99 like has been discussed here, and have some questions about the old equipment I have available to me.

My dish says "Directv Plus" and has the old 3lnb array for 101, 110, and 119. The dish says Channel Master P/N 3041124. It has attached on the back a 4-way multiswitch SMS-4/4 RP20 950-1450 Mhz, with an additional SatB/SatC combiner that says 18V/22Khz. 5 coax cables come from the LNB, 3 to the multiswitch, the other two to the combiner (one of which is SatC) and then to the 4th port of the multiswitch.

Now, after reading this thread, it would appear that I can use the old dish (this is a phase III?) with a new SL3 LNB for 99, 101, and 103) (non SWM). What I haven't seen mentioned is can I use the old existing multi-switch with this new LNB, or do I need to purchase a replacement? Is the old combiner used at all with the new setup? If the new LNB is mounted "flush" with the end of the arm, is this the correct length?
HR20-100
HR20-700
H21-100

#144 OFFLINE   jefe2514

jefe2514

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:11 PM

I am looking to create a portable RV dish for 101, 103, and 99 like has been discussed here, and have some questions about the old equipment I have available to me.

My dish says "Directv Plus" and has the old 3lnb array for 101, 110, and 119. The dish says Channel Master P/N 3041124. It has attached on the back a 4-way multiswitch SMS-4/4 RP20 950-1450 Mhz, with an additional SatB/SatC combiner that says 18V/22Khz. 5 coax cables come from the LNB, 3 to the multiswitch, the other two to the combiner (one of which is SatC) and then to the 4th port of the multiswitch.

Now, after reading this thread, it would appear that I can use the old dish (this is a phase III?) with a new SL3 LNB for 99, 101, and 103) (non SWM). What I haven't seen mentioned is can I use the old existing multi-switch with this new LNB, or do I need to purchase a replacement? Is the old combiner used at all with the new setup? If the new LNB is mounted "flush" with the end of the arm, is this the correct length?

Since the new SL3 or SL5 LNB's have 4 outputs themselves I am not sure you would need the multi-switch and I do not believe it would work with those LNB's. You would not be able to pickup any extra channels anyway unless you are trying to pull in international channels as well and if so you would need a separate dish and a Zinwell WB68 Multi-switch to work with the KA Band.

#145 OFFLINE   Teronzhul

Teronzhul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:27 PM

That sounds more like a Phase II with a sat c kit (or phase II plus). If that is the case then the arm is different, and it would be much more difficult to modify the Phase II arm than the minor modification required for the phase III dish.

http://www.solidsign...tenna_types.asp

Here you can find all the dish types. Phase II is near the bottom
HR23-700 on Vizio 42glf +swmlnb to 3 D12-700

#146 OFFLINE   n6nfg

n6nfg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:45 PM

That sounds more like a Phase II with a sat c kit (or phase II plus). If that is the case then the arm is different, and it would be much more difficult to modify the Phase II arm than the minor modification required for the phase III dish.

Here you can find all the dish types. Phase II is near the bottom

Exactly, I apparently have a phase II with a sat c kit. Thanks for this revelation, unfortunately it would appear I have more work to do... Can anyone describe what arm length/position is appropriate for an SL3 LNB to be positioned properly with this dish, or should I just scrap it.

I believe with 4 coax outputs from the SL3 LNB, some type of multiswitch is required to select the appropriate orbit and polarity for each receiver connection. Is my phase II plus sat C multiswitch also useless for the SL3 LNB to attach to receiver?

Predicting that the answer to both of the above is "useless old stuff" what is the least expensive set of new hardware that will allow a single receiver to work with a "small" dish for 99, 101, and 103? I am really on a tight budget here.
HR20-100
HR20-700
H21-100

#147 OFFLINE   Teronzhul

Teronzhul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:07 PM

The SL3 LNB has an integrated multiswitch, prior to the coax outputs. IE, each of the four outputs can feed a receiver with all sats independently without need of any external multiswitch.

The focal distance of the Phase II would be the same with the original LNBs as with the SL3. In fact, I'm fairly certain the size/shape of the reflector is identical to that of the Phase III anyway, the only problem is that the mounting point for the LNBs is quite different as it is designed for 3 separate LNB units instead of a single unit. It may be as simple as removing the LNBs from the original bracket, centering the SL3, and drilling some new holes for the mounting screws.

I doubt anyone has a Phase II handy to play with so you're probably on your own. Find some way to cram the SL3 into the existing bracket though, and I expect it will work as well as a phase III dish for your purposes.

If it is more complicated, or not doable, I would suggest just stopping a Directv tech if you happen to see him, and asking if he has any Phase III dishes on hand. Depending on your market he may, or may not. If he does, I bet $20 would convince him to let one fall off his truck.
HR23-700 on Vizio 42glf +swmlnb to 3 D12-700

#148 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:16 PM

Predicting that the answer to both of the above is "useless old stuff" what is the least expensive set of new hardware that will allow a single receiver to work with a "small" dish for 99, 101, and 103? I am really on a tight budget here.

Find local HSP warehouse. Their dumpster should be full of PhaseIIIs

#149 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:14 PM

I honestly did not know how good this would work but so far I have had a few rainstorms and several windy days in the area and I have had not any problems. It was much easier to align than I originally thought as well.

After you have done one it honestly only takes an extra 10 minuets to properly align this dish,also after long term testing with the Slimline3 LNB I have found the phase III dish to be just as stable as the larger 5LNB dish.

#150 OFFLINE   n6nfg

n6nfg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:55 PM

The SL3 LNB has an integrated multiswitch, prior to the coax outputs. IE, each of the four outputs can feed a receiver with all sats independently without need of any external multiswitch.

Thanks, another revelation for me. I never realized the newer LNB's had built-in multiswitches. My bad.

The focal distance of the Phase II would be the same with the original LNBs as with the SL3. In fact, I'm fairly certain the size/shape of the reflector is identical to that of the Phase III anyway, the only problem is that the mounting point for the LNBs is quite different as it is designed for 3 separate LNB units instead of a single unit. It may be as simple as removing the LNBs from the original bracket, centering the SL3, and drilling some new holes for the mounting screws.

This is good news. I'll probably give it a try. Anyone try taping some aluminum foil to the reflector and shining a flashlight on it from the correct angle to see where the light is focused? A comparison of the middle LNB position of the old 3-lnb array and the new SL3 LNB mounted to the old arm should confirm whether I am in the ball park or not.
HR20-100
HR20-700
H21-100

#151 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:03 PM

A comparison of the middle LNB position of the old 3-lnb array and the new SL3 LNB mounted to the old arm should confirm whether I am in the ball park or not.

Just keep in mind that the PhaseIII aimed at 110 while a SL is aimed at 101. So focal points are not identical.

#152 OFFLINE   n6nfg

n6nfg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:03 PM

What I had in mind was to mount the dish to something stable, and shine a light on it, and adjust the dish so that the light was focused on the middle LNB of the old 3 rack. This should recreate the old middle orbital slot alignment without regard to actual angles. Then remove the old LNB assembly and install the new SL3 and see if the light remained focused on the middle LNB of the SL3. Don't really know what kind of "focus" the light would make with this setup, maybe not a "spot" enough to do any good. That is why I was curious if anyone had tried the reflected light option...
HR20-100
HR20-700
H21-100

#153 OFFLINE   RVRambler

RVRambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:53 PM

Try molding aluminum foil on dish surface and tape it for more reflection, also you could move it around and see if a more 'offset' alignment may be possible, if for no other reason than make it the same settings shown via rcvr (when 3lnb slim is selected in setup).

I will start working on the use of a smaller dish (dish 500) soon and was glad to see your 'reflection' idea, but me think my dish would not reflect much light w/o help :)

PS: I used a cooking strainer (about 8" dia) and alum foil and made a pretty good wifi antenna, used string to tie/position the usb wifi in focus area of strainer, got a 5-8 db gain indicated by netstumbler s/w, where notebook would not get a usable signal.
Rambling 'Round n RV'

VIP-722k
1000.2, Dual DPP rooftop

#154 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:19 AM

I will start working on the use of a smaller dish (dish 500) soon and was glad to see your 'reflection' idea, but me think my dish would not reflect much light w/o help :)

I don't think a Dish 500 is much smaller then a PhaseIII, just taller and less wide.
A Dish 300 is smaller then a 500 though, why not try the D* basic 18" dish.

#155 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 06:04 AM

The Dish 500 should work well for 99-101-103 reception,mounting the LNB and finding the correct focal point will take some work though.

Using the phase III dish makes HD easy.:)

I don't recommend the 18" round or any round dish,you will end up with missing transponders.

#156 OFFLINE   RVRambler

RVRambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:41 PM

I don't think a Dish 500 is much smaller then a PhaseIII, just taller and less wide.
A Dish 300 is smaller then a 500 though, why not try the D* basic 18" dish.

I have a dish 500 dish already, not any other DTV dish besides BUD5 (big ugly dish Slim 5).

I plan to go 90degrees rotation (will try normal orientation first) with d500, but use the BUD5 mount (much better mount), just need a 3lnb and good weather here on Oregon coast!!

Will update here when it happens!!
Rambling 'Round n RV'

VIP-722k
1000.2, Dual DPP rooftop

#157 OFFLINE   n6nfg

n6nfg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:00 PM

I tried for several days to use my old phase 2 with sat C add-on with the SL3 LNB instead with not much success. The shape of the reflector on the phase 2 is different then the phase 3 (wider, not as high). With the SL3 mounted in various places, the highest reading I could get on 101 was mid 50's. I could never get anything on 99 or 103. It would appear that the focal point is not correct for the SL3. No matter where I tried locating the SL3 (and I tried may variations of height and depth from the reflector), the result was the same. Also, the tilt adjustment on the phase 2 is not very robust, and doesn't allow slight alterations without destroying the paint under the washers (not good for portable use, requiring touch up each time the dish is moved). The mounting of the reflector to the tilt mechanism is quite inferior compared with the phase 3's.

I never tried the reflective foil experiment either. I'll let someone explore this option :)

I haven't been able to locate a cheap phase 3 yet, but still trying. I even drove around the surrounding neighborhood a few days looking for a directv truck without success. Non of the installer businesses in my area have any old take downs. I did find one willing to sell me a new dish for $100! I'll keep watching craigslist and ebay for a local solution.
HR20-100
HR20-700
H21-100

#158 OFFLINE   Lije Baley

Lije Baley

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:37 PM

I haven't been able to locate a cheap phase 3 yet, but still trying. I even drove around the surrounding neighborhood a few days looking for a directv truck without success. Non of the installer businesses in my area have any old take downs. I did find one willing to sell me a new dish for $100! I'll keep watching craigslist and ebay for a local solution.

Look for foreclosed homes, someone must have left a Phase III on the roof. You can ask the bank or real estate agent about taking the dish for mowing the lawn. Hell, just take it after dark :nono:

#159 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,139 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:57 PM

I've taken a couple of old dishes to the local Goodwill dropoff over the years. You may be able to find one at a place like that.

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#160 OFFLINE   awblackmon

awblackmon

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:15 PM

You could look for a home with a new slimline dish that still has the old phase III up and ask if you could take down the phase III for them? I do installs, and not all customers request removal of old dish, so there are lots of them still on roofs going un-used.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...