Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Experimental Small Slimline3 Dish

• Please log in to reply
462 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:03 PM

Find any DirecTV retailer and they will have a big pile of used phase III dishes at the back of the store,offer $20-$30 bucks and you will likely get a nice one.:)

P.S. you only need the metal part tell them to keep the LNB.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   Lije Baley

Lije Baley

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:54 PM

The multi-sat dish is available on ebay for about $41.

#163 OFFLINE   r1ga

r1ga

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:19 PM

The multi-sat dish is available on ebay for about $41.

This won't get the 99 or 103?

#164 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,810 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:22 PM

This won't get the 99 or 103?

The dish shown at the ebay link is the Phase III, which does NOT get 99 or 103. It is for 101, 110 and 119.

BUT, that is the "small" dish you want if you are going to try to put a 3-LNB or 5-LNB assembly on it that does get 99/101/103. You just need to get the LNB separately.

#165 OFFLINE   miamichillin99

miamichillin99

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:03 PM

Hi...what's the model number of the best performing LNB for the phase III?

#166 OFFLINE   r1ga

r1ga

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:50 AM

The dish shown at the ebay link is the Phase III, which does NOT get 99 or 103. It is for 101, 110 and 119.

BUT, that is the "small" dish you want if you are going to try to put a 3-LNB or 5-LNB assembly on it that does get 99/101/103. You just need to get the LNB separately.

That's what I meant to suggest - you will need a different LNB.

I put an ad on craigslist and got a ph. III for $20. Got the LNB from solid signal for about $40 w/ shipping. miamichillin99 here is the link for the LNB you need.
http://www.solidsign...ay.asp?prod=SL3

#167 OFFLINE   miamichillin99

miamichillin99

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:25 AM

I put an ad on craigslist and got a ph. III for $20. Got the LNB from solid signal for about $40 w/ shipping. miamichillin99 here is the link for the LNB you need.

Thnaks r1ga. what signal levels are you getting/sat?

#168 OFFLINE   r1ga

r1ga

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:47 AM

Thnaks r1ga. what signal levels are you getting/sat?

I set it up for the 1st time Sat. evening and was able to get 70s on 103, 60s on 99, and 90s for 101. Weather was clear. I'll probably need to do a little better than that if its cloudy. Ordered the quick adjustment kit from tv4rv - should be here today. Also gonna try fully inserting the LNB into the mast arm - right now I'm using the normal holes with a slot cut in the arm. Will report back later this week.

#169 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:47 AM

I set it up for the 1st time Sat. evening and was able to get 70s on 103, 60s on 99, and 90s for 101. Weather was clear. I'll probably need to do a little better than that if its cloudy. Ordered the quick adjustment kit from tv4rv - should be here today. Also gonna try fully inserting the LNB into the mast arm - right now I'm using the normal holes with a slot cut in the arm. Will report back later this week.

Adjust the tilt a little till 99 & 103 are balanced,Your going to get lower numbers on 103 initially probably in the 60s then go back to the elevation adjustment and find the highest signal numbers for 103.:)

Your very close with the numbers you have, It will probably work OK but suggest one more tweaking session,fully seating the LNB normally only gives 1-2 points higher gain on any given transponder.

#170 OFFLINE   miamichillin99

miamichillin99

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:30 PM

I was looking at this one too:
http://www.solidsign...ay.asp?PROD=SL5

Any big difference in performance?

#171 OFFLINE   miamichillin99

miamichillin99

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:38 PM

I am running a phase III with a 5lnb and cannot get signal from 103c. My 101 and 99 are in the 90s. I dont know where 103c is in reference to 101 and 99 so I dont know where to start fine tuning. Any ideas?

Can you confirm that your LNB is the one I linked right above. Those are some sweets numbers for a phase III.

#172 OFFLINE   r1ga

r1ga

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:21 PM

I was looking at this one too:
http://www.solidsign...ay.asp?PROD=SL5

Any big difference in performance?

I do not know if the SL5 will work with a ph. III dish. Intuitively it seems that the wide spacing of the LNBs would not work with the narrower ph. III dish - maybe that is cmize95's problem. Then again I am barely a novice at this stuff. I never dreamed you could get Ka/Ku with a ph. III.

This is for a tailgate/picnic setup, so I am interested in portability. That slimline rig weighs a ton! Plus the mounting arm is longer and even with the lighter SL3 LNB there is a larger tipping moment.

#173 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:34 PM

I do not know if the SL5 will work with a ph. III dish. Intuitively it seems that the wide spacing of the LNBs would not work with the narrower ph. III dish - maybe that is cmize95's problem. Then again I am barely a novice at this stuff. I never dreamed you could get Ka/Ku with a ph. III.

This is for a tailgate/picnic setup, so I am interested in portability. That slimline rig weighs a ton! Plus the mounting arm is longer and even with the lighter SL3 LNB there is a larger tipping moment.

The SL5 LNB will work fine but I highly recommend the SL3 LNB with the phase III dish,post #48 has all the information.

Make sure and set receiver to Slimline 3 with this dish even if you use the SL5 head.

#174 OFFLINE   bort269

bort269

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:10 AM

Hi everyone,

I ended up in this thread after posting here:
http://www.dbstalk.c...037&postcount=1

basically my balcony has a big pole making the DirecTV HD dish too wide, so I ended up with SD (I have an R22-100) and so someone suggested the slimline3 dish.

This sounds so perfect, but my question is:

I'm pretty stupid when it comes to building/installing things, so how complicated is this process (ordering all the correct parts, plugging it all in correctly, checking the signal) and then (on the off-chance that I set it all up correctly) is DirecTV down with this? (do I just call 'em up and say "here's $10 more a month, gimme HD" or do they not want to deal with liability of a dish that is not theirs?)

I'm sorry if this has been answered in this thread already, if there is a link to a "how to install the slimline3 dish for dummies" please let me know!

I started reading through the 7 pages of this thread (I checked out post #48) but sadly I feel everyone is an expert... but I have no clue where to start... ebay?

Thanks for any help... as I posted in my thread, I'm so sad to have downgraded from HD to SD... but the movie channels cropped in 4:3 with grey-bars really makes it unbearable!

Thank you!

#175 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:47 AM

Bort269

This really is a do it your self project since the final dish isn't approved by DirecTV.

In your case this is how I would proceed,Acquire the phase III dish and the Slimline3 LNB,Put the SL3 LNB on the phase III dish and replace your current dish with the new one,Align your new dish for the highest 101 signals to get your R22 unit back operating with the new dish.

After getting your R22 back in operation go and visit a DirecTV retailer (have your account # with you) order the equipment you need and have them upgrade your account to HD, Have them hook up the unit at the store and activate it. Tell them your going to put it in a Recreational Vehicle with a slimline 3.

Bring the unit home,do the guided setup for a slimline3 then tweak 99 & 103 © fourteen transponders for the highest signal numbers. :)

If you have questions post them here,I'm sure we can get you through this OK,What kind of dish do you have now the 18 inch round or the phase III??

You might just call a DirecTV dealer and ask for a slimline3/HD upgrade,you will get what you need that way,since your already a DirecTV customer this upgrade will cost you.

Edited by Matt9876, 31 August 2009 - 10:36 AM.
info....

#176 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:16 AM

One other thing to keep in mind. If you go this route, expect ZERO support from any tech if you need a service call.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#177 OFFLINE   bort269

bort269

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:52 PM

Bort269
If you have questions post them here,I'm sure we can get you through this OK,What kind of dish do you have now the 18 inch round or the phase III??

You might just call a DirecTV dealer and ask for a slimline3/HD upgrade,you will get what you need that way,since your already a DirecTV customer this upgrade will cost you.

Thank you for the quick reply!

This is the dish they gave me... 18 inche round I assume.

I might call a local DirecTV dealer and see what they quote me...

it shouldn't be hard to switch my R22 to HD, as an update will take care of that soon:
http://www.dbstalk.c...07&postcount=13

RobertE, thanks for the warning... I don't know what is worse:
no support ever, or no HD ever!

Attached Thumbnails

• dish.JPG

#178 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:06 PM

Yes that is the 18 " round dish,The phase III dish will mount to that same pole and point the very same direction.

Like I said I'm here to help you if needed :)

#179 OFFLINE   bort269

bort269

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:25 PM

Yes that is the 18 " round dish,The phase III dish will mount to that same pole and point the very same direction.

Like I said I'm here to help you if needed :)

thank you so much Matt!

#180 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:10 PM

Thank you for the quick reply!

This is the dish they gave me... 18 inche round I assume.

I might call a local DirecTV dealer and see what they quote me...

it shouldn't be hard to switch my R22 to HD, as an update will take care of that soon:
http://www.dbstalk.c...07&postcount=13

RobertE, thanks for the warning... I don't know what is worse:
no support ever, or no HD ever!

Would you mind posting some more pictures of your baclony and the pole that is supposedly interfering with the slimline dish?
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

spam firewall