Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No RG6 output on HR21 ...

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HDinMA

HDinMA

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:40 PM

I was wondering if anyone has had a dilemma I've come across recently...

I upgraded from an old SD D* receiver and SD TiVo to an HR21-200.

My old setup was as follows:

Sat In > SD Receiver > SD TiVo > Splitter > two TVs.

So basically, I was splitting my output between two TVs with cable.

As I'm sure most of you already know, the new HR21-200 has no cable out port.

So my question is this:

Is there anything out there that can convert component output (or similar) to cable?

I'd really like to avoid having to rewire this setup and don't really want to upgrade the second TV at the moment either.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :)

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   eakes

eakes

Godfather

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:48 PM

TV modulator - available at WalMart, Target, Radio Shack and a whole lot more. Accepts composite input (yellow, white, red) and outputs analog channels 3 or 4 (switch selectable).

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:58 PM

Note that the RF modulator can only be used to carry an SD rendition of any content. An HDMI cable can be used for up to one HD display and a component cable will mostly work for another HD display. I hope you didn't outsmart yourself.

Note that if you want to use more than one modulated signal, you may need to use an agile modulator that will output on other than just the basic channel 3/4 options.

#4 OFFLINE   HDinMA

HDinMA

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:30 PM

Thanks for the advice.

I picked up a basic Phillips RF modulator at WalMart on the way home from work for about $16. This should work. For some reason I was thinking that I needed a component cable, but it's only SD so the AV should be fine. At some point I will probably replace the small TV in my wife's office with an LCD and then I think I will need to run a new line for HD.

Thanks again! :)

#5 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:34 PM

Thanks for the advice.

I picked up a basic Phillips RF modulator at WalMart on the way home from work for about $16. This should work. For some reason I was thinking that I needed a component cable, but it's only SD so the AV should be fine. At some point I will probably replace the small TV in my wife's office with an LCD and then I think I will need to run a new line for HD.

Thanks again! :)

Either that or get another hd receiver for $5/month. It's worth it. BTW, do you know Jack Breen the physical therapist/Studebaker nut?

#6 OFFLINE   HDinMA

HDinMA

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:58 PM

Either that or get another hd receiver for $5/month. It's worth it. BTW, do you know Jack Breen the physical therapist/Studebaker nut?

I thought about that too and that's probably what I will do when I get the new TV.

Never heard of Jack Breen. Why do you ask?

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:48 PM

At some point I will probably replace the small TV in my wife's office with an LCD and then I think I will need to run a new line for HD.

I'm concerned about what you're proposing. Do you mean run a new component or HDMI cable, or another coax? You cannot get HD without something that looks either like a long component or long HDMI cable. An SD TV will likely look better than an HD TV when fed by your modulator.

#8 OFFLINE   HDinMA

HDinMA

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:37 AM

I'm concerned about what you're proposing. Do you mean run a new component or HDMI cable, or another coax? You cannot get HD without something that looks either like a long component or long HDMI cable. An SD TV will likely look better than an HD TV when fed by your modulator.

I was thinking of splitting the HDMI output or running a long component cable for a potentially new HDTV in the office. But, because it's quite a distance, the simpler solution seems to be just getting another set top box as I am only using five of my available eight tuners at the moment and the RG6 line is already in place.

I just hate the thought of my monthly bill going up ... yet again. I've tried to cut costs in this area, but until SD goes away (if ever) I suppose it's in the cable and satellite company's best interest to nickle and dime us as much as possible.

#9 OFFLINE   kevinm34232

kevinm34232

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:46 AM

I was in a new house that had been prewired by an AV company. They had planned for the living room and bedroom HD receiver's to be 'hidden' in different rooms (closets) and operated by RF remotes, so the main RG6 went to the closets for those TV's. To make a long story short I had to set up the boxes at the actual TV location because they had no other equipment in the house yet. What was interesting is they had these wires from the closet to the TV location: a very long HDMI, misc. audio wires, and 3 other RG6 cables. One RG6 was labeled red, one green, one blue.

Can you use RG6 as component wires?

#10 OFFLINE   HDinMA

HDinMA

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:56 AM

I was in a new house that had been prewired by an AV company. They had planned for the living room and bedroom HD receiver's to be 'hidden' in different rooms (closets) and operated by RF remotes, so the main RG6 went to the closets for those TV's. To make a long story short I had to set up the boxes at the actual TV location because they had no other equipment in the house yet. What was interesting is they had these wires from the closet to the TV location: a very long HDMI, misc. audio wires, and 3 other RG6 cables. One RG6 was labeled red, one green, one blue.

I researched this earlier and found that there really is no way to go from component to RG6 but I figured I'd ask myself just in case something had materialized since then. The solutions proposed were multiple RG6 lines for each component, and I think some company ("rapid" something other?) sells a cable that combines these into a slimmer "cable" (more precisely a conduit) for a longer run.

I was looking for something that would combine the components to run through one RG6 line and I do not think this exists.

Sticking with SD on the analog TV will be fine for me for now...

#11 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:58 AM

I thought about that too and that's probably what I will do when I get the new TV.

Never heard of Jack Breen. Why do you ask?

If you check my avatar, you will see the car I bought from him. Like I said, he is a pt and also on one of the local town boards in Kingston.

#12 OFFLINE   HDinMA

HDinMA

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:01 AM

If you check my avatar, you will see the car I bought from him. Like I said, he is a pt and also on one of the local town boards in Kingston.

Cool beans! :)

(How's that for antiquated New England speak? :D)

I'm actually from NY originally.

Thanks for clarifying, I had suspected something similar.

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:23 AM

What was interesting is they had these wires from the closet to the TV location: a very long HDMI, misc. audio wires, and 3 other RG6 cables. One RG6 was labeled red, one green, one blue.

Yes!

#14 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:16 AM

You can use RG6 for component video, but you need one for each color plus two for audio - 5 coax total. Works very well and allows much longer runs than regular component video cables.

Carl

#15 OFFLINE   HDinMA

HDinMA

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:55 AM

So far this hasn't worked for me. I hooked everything up and I get a blue screen (with a line amplifier) or a severely snowy screen, i.e. major noise/interference.

I'm going to test this by hooking the TV up much closer. The line I am running in very long and part of it is RG59, but that shouldn't matter for SD.

#16 OFFLINE   kevinm34232

kevinm34232

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:12 AM

You can use RG6 for component video, but you need one for each color plus two for audio - 5 coax total. Works very well and allows much longer runs than regular component video cables.

Carl

Is there a fitting that converters the coax to component connection then?

#17 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:24 AM

So far this hasn't worked for me. I hooked everything up and I get a blue screen (with a line amplifier) or a severely snowy screen, i.e. major noise/interference.

Remove the amplifier and see if things don't improve.

You might also test with a device like a VCR.

#18 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:27 AM

Is there a fitting that converters the coax to component connection then?

Coax termination in RCA is available. They are a lot more work to install, but much better connection than F to RCA adapters across the board.

http://www.monoprice...102&cp_id=10235

#19 OFFLINE   HDinMA

HDinMA

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:48 AM

Remove the amplifier and see if things don't improve.

You might also test with a device like a VCR.

I tried removing the amplifier, to no avail. I'll test with a VCR if the signal isn't good from close range.

Thx again

#20 OFFLINE   HDinMA

HDinMA

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 05:26 AM

Update:

I tested the modulator with a short line last night and it works fine. I then went to the halfway point (about 30') and see serious interference already. I think I may have damaged the cable while I was installing by yanking a kink through a small hole. I probably should have straightened the cable better before running it, but I was rushing the job.

I'll need to get more cable and see if the length is the issue, but I suspect this will be fine once I replace the cable...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...