Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Monoprice RG6 Cable any good??

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bruinfever

bruinfever

Godfather

• Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:58 PM

I am in the process of doing a major remodeling in my house right now and have pretty much all my walls open, and I'll need roughly 900ft of cable for all the rooms and to the dish. I know that there are lots of opinions about the best cables. Look, I'm not running a space station here and I don't live below a cellphone tower, I just want something decent that will work well for the future. I don't want to spend $350 for a roll of 1000ft of cable. Is the monoprice cable sufficient, or can anyone recommend me something fairly decent? I would be willing to spend around $100-$120, if I can get something better than the $47 roll from Monoprice. I would appreciate some advice.
Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JeffTex42

JeffTex42

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 01:23 PM

I've bought plenty from Monoprice, and generally recommend them ... for exposed wires. Because they're cheap, and if its bad you can get another one. My 2 cents says spend the extra on good coax for inside your walls because replacing it could cost much more. Generally folks around here recommend a solid copper conductor instead of the copper clad steel stuff. Having said that, my house has a butt load of copper clad quad shield (not from Monoprice) and I haven't had any issues. Though if I had it to do over again, I'd probably run Belden 1694A all over the place.

HR44-500+AM21 :: HDMI » Sony DD Receiver » 70" Sharp LCD

C41-500 :: HDMI » 46" Samsung LCD
C41-500 :: HDMI » 32" Vizio LCD
C41-500 :: HDMI » 23" Samsung LCD

#3 OFFLINE   bruinfever

bruinfever

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:11 PM

Though if I had it to do over again, I'd probably run Belden 1694A all over the place.

The Belden 1694A is pecifically the cable that I was referring to that costs $350. :(
Isn't there anything in between that's reliable that I won't worry will fail when it's in my walls?

#4 OFFLINE   falz

falz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:19 PM

The Belden 1694A is pecifically the cable that I was referring to that costs $350. :(
Isn't there anything in between that's reliable that I won't worry will fail when it's in my walls?

Multiple runs of the cheap stuff? :)

#5 OFFLINE   2dogz

2dogz

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:55 PM

You may want to look at Belden 7915a Duobond Plus which is high quality and meets D* specs. If in high RF area, you might look at Belden 7916a quad. That 1694 is way over the top unless you're building a broadcast studio which is what it is designed for.

Never used Monoprice, but stay away from store brand cable which is usually imported. It may be fine but it is difficult to find the manufacturer's specs (which are easy to find on US manufacturer's web sites).

Directv since 1997
2x HR21-100 2x HR22-100 1x HR20-700R
Sony Sat T60 Tivo Still Truckin'
AU9 WB616 OTA: Channel Master CM4221

#6 OFFLINE   babzog

babzog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:24 PM

You may want to look at Belden 7915a Duobond Plus which is high quality and meets D* specs. If in high RF area, you might look at Belden 7916a quad. That 1694 is way over the top unless you're building a broadcast studio which is what it is designed for.

Never used Monoprice, but stay away from store brand cable which is usually imported. It may be fine but it is difficult to find the manufacturer's specs (which are easy to find on US manufacturer's web sites).

Check markertek.com for Belden 7916A. $128 plus change (and shipping) for 1k'.

#7 OFFLINE   ABQNM

ABQNM

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:24 PM

Check out Perfect Vision cable. This is what DirecTV uses as their own brand cable and meets all their specs including solid copper cc. From SolidSignal.com it is $97 for 1000'. http://www.solidsign...OD=ULPVRG6SCBLK

Also for a little more money, you can get the same thing with phone wire attached which may make it easier to run the wire since it is already attached to the cable. $122 http://www.solidsign...p?PROD=ULPVCX2W They no longer have that in black, but the white is the same price and as long as it is in the walls, or inside, it will hold up just fine.

#8 OFFLINE   bruinfever

bruinfever

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:33 PM

Thanks for the info. If I'm running these wire in-wall next to electrical will quad-sheild help protect from lighting and electrical interference or is it not needed?

#9 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:13 PM

Try your local craigslist.org, you may find an installer or two selling a box that fell off the truck.:D
I know I have in the past for $25 a 1000 ft box.:D

#10 OFFLINE   2dogz

2dogz

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:28 PM

Thanks for the info. If I'm running these wire in-wall next to electrical will quad-sheild help protect from lighting and electrical interference or is it not needed?

Try not to run coax in parallel with electrical wire (romex), keep it one or two feet away if at all possible. Even quad may have problems with a long parallel run.

Many folks here (installers) will argue that quad is overkill. It may be useful, i.e. insurance, if your house is near a ham/radio/tv tower, near high voltage transmission lines, near an airport, near a military base, etc. Most homes do not have RF interference problems like that and regular RG6 works just fine.

That being said, the costs to upgrade to RG6 quad is minimal when you are only wiring a single house. Your call.

Directv since 1997
2x HR21-100 2x HR22-100 1x HR20-700R
Sony Sat T60 Tivo Still Truckin'
AU9 WB616 OTA: Channel Master CM4221

#11 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:54 PM

Try your local electrical supply houses or big box store. I get 1k' reels @ the supply house for $80. That's for name-brand. Private label is much cheaper.

#12 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,763 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:29 PM

Just curious, has anyone used the dual RG6 runs? Like this.

Is there a cable that has 4 cables hooked together like that?

Thanks

#13 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:50 PM

Just curious, has anyone used the dual RG6 runs? Like this.

Is there a cable that has 4 cables hooked together like that?

In this thread http://www.dbstalk.c...ew house wiring

They discuss this http://www.broadband...mulcomcabu.html

and

http://www.broadband...mulcomcabu.html

Both seem incredibly cool. I havent seen any quad conductor rg6 though personally.

#14 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,763 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:03 PM

In this thread http://www.dbstalk.c...ew house wiring

They discuss this http://www.broadband...mulcomcabu.html

and

http://www.broadband...mulcomcabu.html

Both seem incredibly cool. I havent seen any quad conductor rg6 though personally.

Yeah I saw that, now thats pretty cool cable and should be used in all new house construction.

I thought for sure I saw a few installations around here that had 4 conductor RG6 cables coming out of the LNB's. Hmmmm.......

#15 OFFLINE   Git

Git

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 12:00 PM

I recently purchased 500 feet of Belden 7916A RG6 Quad Shield Cable from

Broadbandutopia.com

Total cost with shipping was $83, comes on a nice plastic spool - good stuff :)

#16 OFFLINE   bruinfever

bruinfever

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 12:42 PM

Yeah I saw that, now thats pretty cool cable and should be used in all new house construction.

I thought for sure I saw a few installations around here that had 4 conductor RG6 cables coming out of the LNB's. Hmmmm.......

It seems very appealing but what about if I want to change from cat5e to cat 6 in a few years? Or an RG6 cable fails? When you have everything bundled together than if one thing needs to be replaced it all needs to be replaced....

#17 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:35 PM

It seems very appealing but what about if I want to change from cat5e to cat 6 in a few years? Or an RG6 cable fails? When you have everything bundled together than if one thing needs to be replaced it all needs to be replaced....

Then futureproof and get the bundles with 2RG6, 2Cat5e and 2 fiber.

#18 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:51 PM

if you were involved with new house construction, you would know that's a bad idea.

#19 OFFLINE   bb37

bb37

Godfather

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:52 PM

Does anybody make a dual RG6 that is approved for D* HD or equivalent to Belden 7916? For runs where you need two cables, it seems like it would be easier to pull a dual cable.

#20 OFFLINE   babzog

babzog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:17 PM

if you were involved with new house construction, you would know that's a bad idea.

Why's that? Sounds good in theory.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...