Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Monoprice RG6 Cable any good??

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Terry Kennedy

Terry Kennedy

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 01:55 AM

Just curious, has anyone used the dual RG6 runs? Like this.

Yes. I'm using that exact cable for a pair of HR21-700's fed by a 5-LNB slimline dish. One run is pretty short (30 feet or so) while the other is around 125 feet.

Is there a cable that has 4 cables hooked together like that?

Things get rather funky with the geometry on that type of cable. It has to be 4-flat and not 2-over-2, or it wouldn't be able to make reasonable bends. I've used other 4-flat coax cables (in non-DirecTV applications) and the stuff is so wide, you need to make huge holes to run it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 09:29 AM

Why's that? Sounds good in theory.

Cost.

There's no labor savings when pulling this stuff. If one of my customers wants two TV's in a location, I grab two boxes of RG6 and pull them at the same time; and for about half the price of that banana peel cable.

#23 OFFLINE   HaRrrgh20!

HaRrrgh20!

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:58 PM

I've bought a bunch of cable from Monoprice and been very happy. I have some 15' and 25' HDMI cables and a couple of 75' component plus audio. No problems and picture quality is no different over the long cable runs. I pretty much created a single equipment cabinet that serves 3 rooms, with 3 HR20s selectable from multiple rooms. So, each person programs their own DVR and watches from either room.

#24 OFFLINE   Thaedron

Thaedron

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:09 PM

I've used Commscope 5781 QS RG6 throughout the house that we built.

Here is the first link that google pulled up: http://www.mjsales.n...D=270&Cat2ID=89

I bought mine from a local electric supply house for ~$65/500ft box.
Main viewing system HR20-100 via SWM-8, using HDMI, networked, using DirecTV on Demand and MRV!
Samsung HLT-5689S | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-4306 | QNAP TS-219P NAS and Media Server

Full Setup

Proud supporter of the HR20 Wish List Survey

#25 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,699 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:25 PM

So the rolls of cable they sell at Home Depot and Lowes aren't any good then?

#26 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:45 PM

So the rolls of cable they sell at Home Depot and Lowes aren't any good then?

They're just fine.

#27 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,699 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:28 AM

They're just fine.

Are they solid copper?

#28 OFFLINE   mickcris

mickcris

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:03 AM

i used the monoprice cable in my house and it works fine.

#29 OFFLINE   2dogz

2dogz

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:42 PM

Doesn't make any difference where you buy it, the D* requirement is that the RG6 has a solid copper center conductor. Even if the cheaper copper coated steel works today, there is no telling what the next generation of dish/receivers will need in the future. Small extra investment compared to having to repull cable inside walls four or five years from now.

Directv since 1997
2x HR21-100 2x HR22-100 1x HR20-700R
Sony Sat T60 Tivo Still Truckin'
AU9 WB616 OTA: Channel Master CM4221

#30 OFFLINE   Thaedron

Thaedron

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:54 PM

Doesn't make any difference where you buy it, the D* requirement is that the RG6 has a solid copper center conductor. Even if the cheaper copper coated steel works today, there is no telling what the next generation of dish/receivers will need in the future. Small extra investment compared to having to repull cable inside walls four or five years from now.

The RG6 at Lowe's or Home Depot may be good.

As 2dogz states, the specs state that the cable should be a solid center conductor. Will copper clad steel work, probably. However, if you read these boards over time and pay attention to the very knowledgeable installers, you will note that you're better off not cutting corners if you don't have to.

For me, I went with higher end cable for a couple reasons....

-I wanted to get cable that was a color of my choosing (white). Have you ever tried to write with a sharpie on a black piece of coax?
-We were spending several hundred thousand dollars on our new house, I spent an entire weekend running Cat5e and RG6 for our various entertainment and telecommunications needs. The extra $200 that I spent on coax by buying high-quality stuff was a relatively small investment for future piece of mind.
-Quality issues are usually not the result of a single issue, but often are the sum of small signal degredations in a variety of areas. Lesser cable may work, but leave you on the fringe of working, only taking some other small factor to push you across the poor signal quality line. Also, Every cable splice causes some degredation. Again as 2dogz states, it's better to put high quality stuff in the areas that aren't accessible (your walls) than to have to rip things apart to fix an issue later.
Main viewing system HR20-100 via SWM-8, using HDMI, networked, using DirecTV on Demand and MRV!
Samsung HLT-5689S | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-4306 | QNAP TS-219P NAS and Media Server

Full Setup

Proud supporter of the HR20 Wish List Survey

#31 OFFLINE   bb37

bb37

Godfather

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:59 PM

Doesn't make any difference where you buy it, the D* requirement is that the RG6 has a solid copper center conductor.

That's the D* requirement today. Who's to say that future dishes won't require some other technology? I don't disagree that following D*'s requirements is a good idea, but I don't think anybody can say that it's a "future-proof" solution.

#32 OFFLINE   bb37

bb37

Godfather

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:01 PM

-I wanted to get cable that was a color of my choosing (white). Have you ever tried to write with a sharpie on a black piece of coax?

You can get silver-colored Sharpies that show quite nicely on black surfaces. Never tried one on black insulated coax, though.

#33 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:11 PM

You can get silver-colored Sharpies that show quite nicely on black surfaces. Never tried one on black insulated coax, though.

that is what cable tags are for
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#34 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:50 PM

Duct tape and a sharpie, works great.

spam firewall