Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

501 Issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dsloan

dsloan

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:16 AM

I have a 501 with a super dish. My old receiver would lock up each time the channel was changed. Would reboot and go to step 5 of 5 when acquiring signal, then power off and reboot again - would take about 2 hours to get back up again, then fail when channel was changed. I thought it was the receiver so I bought another 501 - this is a new 501. Everything seemed OK, but I only am receiving sat 119 - needed to do a check switch - First time check switch seemed to progress normally then it powered off and rebooted - now this does the same thing as the previous receiver - goes to step 5 of 5 then reboots itself - it only takes about 10 minutes and it comes back up, but each time I try to go to check switch, it locks up as soon as I hit the check switch button and start the process again. Suggestions??

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:14 AM

Well you may have bought a refurbished 501 seeing they haven't been made in 5 years. A refurb could have come with problems but the fact the same problem is showing up you need to look elsewhere for the problem. Check out your cables seeing the superdish is also old and discontinued. The switch is probably your problem but seeing you didn't give much information about what you have that is only a guess. What are the results of a check switch test if it will run it?

#3 OFFLINE   dsloan

dsloan

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:26 AM

Thanks for the reply - I can't even get to the results - it locks up, then reboots .

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,691 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:46 AM

Thanks for the reply - I can't even get to the results - it locks up, then reboots .

I'm guessing that you have some bad switchgear or cabling. You might want to buy/build a long chunk of cable and go direct from the receiver to the LNB to rule out damaged cable or a bad switch.

Do you have more than just the 501 connected?

#5 OFFLINE   dsloan

dsloan

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:59 AM

Just the 501 - I am thinking I will do what you suggested - My general thought now is it might be the switch - thanks for replying

Protected By... spam firewall...And...