Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Syracuse, NY

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   GreenDice

GreenDice

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:01 PM

Personally I hate calling DirecTv. Most, if not all, of the CSRs are only capable only wasting my valuable time.

Did anyone has the patience to call and let them know?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   KnordRW

KnordRW

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:45 PM

Personally I hate calling DirecTv. Most, if not all, of the CSRs are only capable only wasting my valuable time.

Did anyone has the patience to call and let them know?

There is a WSYT engineer that is on the Syracuse/Utica HD forum on AVS forum. I've been posting about this there and he was going to bring it up with D* on his end. I do believe it is related to the ongoing issues that the channel has had over the last year or so with their OTA signal on network shows, as the problem does NOT occur during local programming. They (WSYT) did something somewhat recently so that it doesn't break up OTA anymore, but I have a feeling that the problem is still there, and the D* reciever/retransmitter is choking on something in the bit stream. The engineer at AVS said that Fox tends to transmit their higher-profile shows at a much higher bitrate than some other things, and that may be why some shows (The Simpsons, House) seem to be a bit worse than others, and why live shows (the World Series, NFL) seem to be better.

Hopefully now that someone at WSYT is aware of the problem, they can work with D* to resolve it.

#23 OFFLINE   GreenDice

GreenDice

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:22 PM

...as the problem does NOT occur during local programming. They (WSYT) did something somewhat recently so that it doesn't break up OTA anymore...

Keep in mind that WSYT does not have hi-def local programming which might account for lower bit rates as well. Of course, I only watch their hi-def programming. I really have no idea whether local programming is OK.

The problem is not in the OTA signal. Only DirecTv's retransmission has problems. They probably pick up channel 68 with a coat hanger. I use a $4 radio Shack bow tie antenna and is always perfect. However I am getting sick of watching recorded shows on my phone and laptop.

In any case, thanks for the update. Good to hear someone is on it.

#24 OFFLINE   babzog

babzog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:10 PM

It was all broken up and stuttery last night through House and Fringe. Just horrible.

#25 OFFLINE   pjsauter

pjsauter

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:57 AM

It's gotten to the point where I no longer record anything on 68 anymore. I'll try and suffer through football games. Sometimes it's not too bad, but at other times the audio stuttering is maddening and I have to shut it off. Like greendice, I hate to call DTV, but I did send them an e-mail a while back telling them the the problem was not on the OTA signal and asking if they were aware of the issue. They didn't answer the question, but they suggested that I - you guessed it - reset the box. Since I was resetting the box every other day between 10/6 and the latest software update, I can verify that resetting didn't help.

#26 OFFLINE   babzog

babzog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 03:55 PM

God.... I was trying to watch Terminator and Prison Break last night.... holy cow, the breakups and stutters and dropouts are just awful! What is going on here?

#27 OFFLINE   billgrayny

billgrayny

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:43 PM

God.... I was trying to watch Terminator and Prison Break last night.... holy cow, the breakups and stutters and dropouts are just awful! What is going on here?

Yes, it is bad. And I just got the phone call that since I now had HD locals I would be loosing my waivered DNS Fox from NYC. (I live in a black hole for OTA so I do have waivers for several of the networks from NYC.) But that will be ending soon and it is not good since FOX Chan 68 from the satellite is definitely not ready for prime time.

I don't know what else we can do. Nothing seems to be happening as a result of our postings here.

AU9S SlimLine to SWM8
HR44-700 HDMI to VIZIO VW42LF, Native ON
1.5 TB WD15EARS eSATA HDD
DD5.1 Audio via optical to AV Rcvr
DECA, TVersity
H21-100 HDMI to VIZIO VX37L, Native ON

#28 OFFLINE   babzog

babzog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:00 PM

I emailed the station and they blamed DirecTV. I emailed DirecTV and they blamed my receiver.

Noone wants to acknowlege the problem.

So I emailed both of 'em pleading for sanity and a resolution (I described how sponsors must not be happy not receiving the exposure for which they're paying, etc). DirecTV was the only respondent... blaming my receiver.

Sigh.

What does it take to get an issue fixed?

#29 OFFLINE   billgrayny

billgrayny

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:04 PM

I emailed the station and they blamed DirecTV. I emailed DirecTV and they blamed my receiver.

Noone wants to acknowlege the problem.

So I emailed both of 'em pleading for sanity and a resolution (I described how sponsors must not be happy not receiving the exposure for which they're paying, etc). DirecTV was the only respondent... blaming my receiver.

Sigh.

What does it take to get an issue fixed?

Yes - this is really BAD. How can DTV be so silly as to suggest it is the receiver when it is only a single channel out of the multitude we receive that has the problem??

And I suspect the station may be correct that it is DTV. I can't receive WSYT OTA but earlier posts here lead me to believe that the OTA signal is not messed up like the satellite signal is.

The moderators put this thread out here, but I wonder if anyone from DTV looks at this - seems not likely. I will be screaming bloody murder when DTV switches off my DNS FOX. Retention will definitely hear from me then!

AU9S SlimLine to SWM8
DECA, TVersity

#30 OFFLINE   GreenDice

GreenDice

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:16 PM

The moderators put this thread out here, but I wonder if anyone from DTV looks at this - seems not likely.

I now think these threads are just for the purpose of us ranting and stress release.

#31 OFFLINE   billgrayny

billgrayny

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:05 AM

The channel 68 disease seems to be spreading. Last night, in addition to WSYT stinking as usual, both WTVH and WSTM were exhibiting video freezes and audio drop outs.

Anybody else see this?

AU9S SlimLine to SWM8
DECA, TVersity

#32 OFFLINE   GreenDice

GreenDice

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 08:04 AM

I don't recall seeing that but I have not watching TV the last few days. Weather related?

#33 OFFLINE   KnordRW

KnordRW

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:31 AM

I don't recall seeing that but I have not watching TV the last few days. Weather related?

On Thursday I tried watching Survivor. It froze up about 2 minutes in and didn't recover, so I switched over to ota and it came right on. So yeah, looking like D* is having issues with their uplink in Syracuse. I don't think it's limited to HD either, because I was at my in-laws for dinner and we were watching the Titans-Lions game, they do not have HD so it was on the SD channel, and the picture dropped out several times for several minutes during the game.

#34 OFFLINE   inflames72

inflames72

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:42 AM

phew, i thought it was just me having these horrid problem with fox. like most said, it is impossible to watch sarah connor and house (my favorite show) and with the upcoming skins/giants game, im afraid it's not gonna get any better.

#35 OFFLINE   sulfuric

sulfuric

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:09 PM

Not only is Fox still not fixed, but NBC was out for the last 10 minutes of Chuck and first 10 minutes of Heroes. Just perfect. I have called twice on this already, but its looking like they just don't care.

#36 OFFLINE   babzog

babzog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:12 AM

Fox is still not fixed... trying to watch 24 was horrible. My god... what are these folks not doing that's causing this problem? You'd think it would be fixable...

#37 OFFLINE   billgrayny

billgrayny

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:44 AM

Fox is still not fixed... trying to watch 24 was horrible. My god... what are these folks not doing that's causing this problem? You'd think it would be fixable...

Yes, I have to agree. Chan 68 FOX continues to be terrible with audio stutters and drops and video freezes. I too had extreme difficulty watching 24 last Sunday and Monday.

I was out of town for a long time over the holidays and noticed no activity on this thread, so I got my hopes up that the FOX 68 issues were solved. But much to my dismay when I returned home I discovered it was as bad as ever.

AU9S SlimLine to SWM8
DECA, TVersity

#38 OFFLINE   pjsauter

pjsauter

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:42 AM

I've been able to watch the past few NFL games on 68 without too much trouble, but the evening programming has been unwatchable. I've pretty much given up any hope of watching (much as I've given up on contacting Customer Support; I've tried a few times, just to see if they were even aware of the problem. No answer to that, but I should try resetting the receiver). The people I know who get it OTA haven't seen any problems. Unfortunately, I have a big hill in the way, and would need about a 100 foot tower on my roof to get it OTA.

#39 OFFLINE   bman542

bman542

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:09 PM

Fox 68 has been bad since the roll out of HD locals. I've had to resort to using a TivoHD and OTA to record Fox68. :mad:

Bill

#40 OFFLINE   KnordRW

KnordRW

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:39 AM

I don't know if this was just a fluke, or a sign that they have fixed the issue, but Fringe last night was absolutely perfect, not a single audio dropout or hesitation. I was shocked because I hadn't watched anything on Fox since December and it was absolutely horrible back then.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...