Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Syracuse, NY

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   BGummy

BGummy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:17 PM

The Syracuse HD Stations are terrible. Channel 3 promised over a year and a half ago that the "My9" Yankee Games would be shown in HD. Well, it still hasn't be done. Looks like I'll be waiting until 2010 to see if they're still not on the job. Plus, on my guide, I'll see something listed in HD on Channel 14 and it's not. Why do they even bother?:mad:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   BGummy

BGummy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:18 PM

Yankees playoff game ...horible picture and sound breakups

Tell me about it. It's one reason why I hate seeing FOX broadcast the World Series.:mad:

#63 OFFLINE   TequilaMockingbird

TequilaMockingbird

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:17 AM

I found this forum while searching online for answers to our persistent problems with our local HD channels through DirecTV. I was quite surprised to learn how many people are having similar issues to ours.

The worst channel by far is the local Fox HD. This has been going on since we "upgraded" to HD receivers and subscribed to the local HD channels about a year ago. We don't really watch a lot of shows on Fox, but one of our favorites is American Idol. Last year, we noticed a lot of sound drop-outs, brrrrrppps, and pixelly issues, but didn't pursue it once the AI season was over. But when the season started up again in January, the issues were all still there. A couple of times it's gone so far as to have absolutely NO SOUND for an extended period - in one case for two whole segments of the show, then last night, for almost the entire duration of the show.

We've had DirecTV out to check out the system, they make some tweaks to our dish pointing, but it's had absolutely no effect on the problems. They tell us it's an uplink issue, and the problem is with the channel, not DirecTV, or our equipment.

We are fortunately able to test the issue because we have two HD DVR's. We've recorded the same broadcast on both simultaneously, and both recordings will have the exact same brrrrrppppps or drop-outs in exactly the same place in the recording. We've also experimented with recording the national non-hd channel at the same time, and on the West Coast feed, both on the same DVR, and on the 2nd DVR. In either case, the national non-HD feeds do NOT have the same issues as the HD channel.

Our other HD locals also have had some issues - sound drop-outs (I especially recall one episode of Numbers that was entirely without sound); but the Fox channel is the worst.

#64 OFFLINE   sulfuric

sulfuric

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:02 PM

Has anyone else been experiencing issues with abc/wsyr? Setting aside the fact they still refuse to broadcast in 5.1 and the audio is extremely low... For the past few months on all three of my boxes the video has been off. Its almost as if its dropping frames. Playing back recorded shows going frame by frame there are times when it will go 4 or 5 frames before I get a new one. Something is really wrong.

#65 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:22 PM

So how are the Syracuse locals on D* these days? Still lots of problems with Fox, or have they all been resolved? Any other problems/issues?
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#66 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:57 AM

Coming in September: WSYR Channel 9(RF17) will be adding MeTV as a new subchannel. It is supposed to be premiering on September 10th. Enjoy!

#67 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:58 PM

I see that MeTV's startup, on WSYR has been moved back until October 15th. Here is their press release:

Syracuse (WSYR-TV) - Many NewsChannel 9 viewers anticipated being able to watch Me-TV on our digital channel 9.2 this month, but the change has not happened.

Viewers who were looking forward to the new programming shouldn’t worry. According to NewsChannel 9 personnel, Me-TV will be available on Oct. 15.

There have been a few delays in bringing over some of the equipment needed to make the transition.

For those who are wondering, Me-TV stands for “Memorable Entertainment Television.”

The network showcases old-time favorite shows from the 1950s through the 1980s including “MASH,” “Cheers,” “Star Trek,” and “I Love Lucy.”

#68 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

I see that WSYR has finally added MeTV to their subchannel after a number of delays. It looks like they need to work on the bit rate, because it looks fuzzy, compared to the MeTV subchannel on Rochester's WHEC. One other item, on the Syracuse MeTV affiliate, is that it doesn't show the whole MeTV lineup and has blocks of repeat newscasts of WSYR's ABC news.

Edited by PrinceLH, 17 October 2012 - 01:30 PM.

#69 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 294 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

Is ther any other way of Getting METV off of Dave ? I love ther Line up of shows :(

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#70 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

I wish they would too. I hate the slash and cut approach over the air. WSYR needs to ditch some of the news repeats and infomercials and run the MeTV lineup mostly intact.

spam firewall