Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Tri Cities, TN-VA

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   BSGman

BSGman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:52 PM

I didn't see SatRacer's posting earlier about it being settled. I did call D* support and the CSR said that WCYB or anything else was on a list to not be carried. WCYB has removed the link from their site too. The banner is still there, but it directs to a holiday troop greeting. Hopefully Case Closed.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   uga009

uga009

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:50 PM

So.... Should we expect to see locals in HD in the near future ???

#23 OFFLINE   vfr781rider

vfr781rider

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:41 AM

Looks like our HD DNS feeds will continue until Jan. 16 now http://customerinfo....bvJL3kEADsjsgUU. I suppose that's now a good target date for having the rest of the Tri-Cities stations available in HD.

Well, according to the Web page, today is still D-day, yet HD DNS is still available. Good thing since local HD is still not in place.

#24 OFFLINE   rebel7254

rebel7254

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:37 AM

Still no HD for anything besides WJHL.

#25 OFFLINE   tonypitt

tonypitt

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:38 AM

I applied for DNS Waivers awhile back. Received a post card saying my request was denied.

I don't know that it will do any good, but I sent an email to station management at WCYB and WKPT asking what their plans were for HD transmission on DirecTV and telling them that lack of HD signal has caused me to not watch their stations as much as I typically might. If I hear anything back, I'll post back.

#26 OFFLINE   uga009

uga009

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:56 PM

I don't know that it will do any good, but I sent an email to station management at WCYB and WKPT asking what their plans were for HD transmission on DirecTV and telling them that lack of HD signal has caused me to not watch their stations as much as I typically might. If I hear anything back, I'll post back.

I sent an email to station management of WCYB as well... Will keep you posted on what I hear as well.

#27 OFFLINE   vfr781rider

vfr781rider

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:29 AM

Been there, done that. Multiple times and when I honestly had a crappy CD signal from them. Let me strike down any hope you may have right now :nono: Those guys are a-holes and won't have any part of it. Fortunately, my HD signal is acceptable.

#28 OFFLINE   tonypitt

tonypitt

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:58 PM

I applied for DNS Waivers awhile back. Received a post card saying my request was denied.

Well, it's been over a week. No reply. Nice to know the local stations are so responsive to viewer email. :(

#29 OFFLINE   tonypitt

tonypitt

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:52 AM

I flipped on the TV this morning and unless I'm crazy it looks like WCYB NBC is in HD. The ABC affiliate WKPT is not in HD. I cannot tell about WEMT Fox since their currently running an infomercial which was shot in SD.

A SuperBowl treat?

#30 OFFLINE   tonypitt

tonypitt

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:57 AM

I was right, everything except ABC is now in HD!

http://dtv.client.sh...eleaseID=362058

#31 OFFLINE   BSGman

BSGman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:33 AM

Sweet!. I didn't check it this morning. Hopefully WKPT will follow soon. I sent the emails to the stations too. Never heard from WCYB, but WKPT wrote back stating they were "We are in negotiations with DirecTV and are awaiting Direct's response to our latest proposal." Also, does anybody know if CW & MyNetwork is even available in HD? Does Charter or BVU offer them? I don't think Comcast did when I was on them.

#32 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:36 AM

Added NBC - WCYB (5), FOX - WEMT (39) and PBS - WSBN (47) to the lineup
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#33 OFFLINE   battery

battery

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:15 PM

Here is an email that I got back from WKPT 19 about HD transmission.

We contacted DirecTv's negotiator shortly after they launched WJHL in HD back in late summer. They showed little or no interest in even talking to us until the end of last year. At that time they rejected all of our requests including carriage of WAPK in HD and carriage of our Retro Network Channel. We also asked for a modest increase on our current per subscriber payment that would get us back to what they used to pay us for WAPK when it was a UPN affiliate. They said no. They said that since they have the standard def version under contract, they do not feel they have to have the HD. We feel we should be fairly compensated.

The only thing that will get them back to the table will be the demands of their subscribers for ABC-HD.

ABC 19 WKPT & MY Tri-Cities WAPK
& RTN Tri-Cities
222 Commerce Street
Kingsport, TN 37660

I just hope that they can work out something soon, since ABC is the only major network that isn't carried in the Tri-Cities DMA.

#34 OFFLINE   tonypitt

tonypitt

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:42 AM

Here is an email that I got back from WKPT 19 about HD transmission.

We contacted DirecTv's negotiator shortly after they launched WJHL in HD back in late summer. They showed little or no interest in even talking to us until the end of last year. At that time they rejected all of our requests including carriage of WAPK in HD and carriage of our Retro Network Channel. We also asked for a modest increase on our current per subscriber payment that would get us back to what they used to pay us for WAPK when it was a UPN affiliate. They said no. They said that since they have the standard def version under contract, they do not feel they have to have the HD. We feel we should be fairly compensated.

The only thing that will get them back to the table will be the demands of their subscribers for ABC-HD.

ABC 19 WKPT & MY Tri-Cities WAPK
& RTN Tri-Cities
222 Commerce Street
Kingsport, TN 37660

I just hope that they can work out something soon, since ABC is the only major network that isn't carried in the Tri-Cities DMA.

Wow, you got a much more detailed reply than I did. What follows is the reply I received in its entirety:

We are currently in negotiations with DirecTV regarding our HD signal.

#35 OFFLINE   JLester

JLester

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:41 PM

I got basically the same response as "battery". I for one do not really care if DirecTV carries the other two channels. I can see why they would not agree to pay for those two channels in order to get WKPT in HD. I think as a small company, they probably do not really have much negotiating power.

#36 OFFLINE   battery

battery

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:18 PM

This is the thing that kills me about these TV stations. They broadcast this HD signal over the air for FREE! but they want D*, Dish, Cable companies to pay to RE-TRANSMIT it. I know I know.... it's their copyrighted material, but if they transmit it over the air for FREE i just dont get it. As long as D* doesn't change the commericals then the TV station isn't losing any money from the ads, but thats just my thinking. I think i'll email them back stating that i'm going to stop watching WKPT if it's not in HD.

#37 OFFLINE   wakeup360

wakeup360

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:48 AM

At that time they rejected all of our requests including carriage of WAPK in HD and carriage of our Retro Network Channel.

Is WAPK even in HD? I get it over the air and I've never seen any HD programming on it.

#38 OFFLINE   battery

battery

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:16 PM

Ok, I talked to one of my friends at work and he said that they have ABC in HD!! I told him that he shouldnt have it, to make sure that it was HD not SD. He came back a few days later and said that it was HD. I then asked him if he got the DNS ABC or something. He said no, it was channel 19 and it was HD!! He told me that his wife called D* and told them they didnt have it and they turned it on. I know he knows the differance in SD and HD. But this just makes me mad if he's got ABC HD and I don't with us both being in the same DMA. Something just isnt right. Every one in the Tri-Cities DMA needs to call D* and get them on the ball about getting WKPT ABC in HD.

#39 OFFLINE   BSGman

BSGman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:22 PM

Anybody else experience a signal loss & extreme pixels last night around 11:00? It started right before the news and by the end, everything was gone. just wanted to know if it's my prob or something in the area.

#40 OFFLINE   BSGman

BSGman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:55 AM

Here are 2 emails that I received from WKPT & CW4 about having their signal in HD on DirectTV. One may be encouraging, the other, not so much.

We started negotiations with DirecTV, but they haven't responded to any of our recent communications. Dish Network has our dignal in hi def. Perhaps if you let DirecTV know, you'd like to have us in HD, it would help.

Thanks for your inquiry.

George DeVault
President
HOLSTON VALLEY BROADCASTING

---------------------------------------

We don't have plans to provide our HD CW4 to DirecTV at this time.

Doug Chaulk
Assistant Chief Engineer

spam firewall