Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Tech Thread: Show your work and face the heat.

• Please log in to reply
264 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   bb37

bb37

Godfather

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:15 PM

Some handywork from last winter.

A. Everyone take note of the supply of poles for pole mounts and the regulation size 28 foot ladder. Also note that the poles must have been well strapped down because they didn't come sliding out of the ladder rack.

B. What the heck is the pink thing hanging off the left end of your bumper? A piece of fiberglass insulation? The woman's scarf :eek2: ?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#202 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:20 PM

The "pink thing" is the amber turn signal lens, that's hanging on the light bulb wire.

#203 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:17 PM

A. Everyone take note of the supply of poles for pole mounts and the regulation size 28 foot ladder. Also note that the poles must have been well strapped down because they didn't come sliding out of the ladder rack.

B. What the heck is the pink thing hanging off the left end of your bumper? A piece of fiberglass insulation? The woman's scarf :eek2: ?

Ha!

A.
1.) There's always enough concrete in there to set all of those poles too!

Also, no writeup. [I'm a traveling tech] I was 2 hours from home, and my Sup [Lives in the same town as me] came all the way out at 8:30pm to pick me up and bring me home. I'd never work for any other Sup.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#204 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:04 AM

Nice to see a fellow Michigander on the board. Mid Michigan did my install and they were great. I need to dig out the paper work and see if the guy still works there.
Receiving Equipment: AU9 Slimline w/Zinwell WB68 & SWM 8 | Winegard MS-2000 w/PS-1503 Power Injector
Living Room: HR22-100 w/AM-21 | Samsung HL-S4266W (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV | Pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1 | Yamaha DV-S6160 (Component/Digital Coaxial)
Bedroom: H21-200 w/AM-21 | Westinghouse LVM-42w2 (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV
Home Theatre: HR20-100 | Sanyo PLV-Z60 (Component/Optical) | Flexio 16:9 100" Screen | Ethernet MRV |Yamaha YHT-690 | XBox 360 (Component) | Harmony 880

#205 OFFLINE   satguy-bmj

satguy-bmj

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:54 PM

needs a service loop

#206 OFFLINE   satguy-bmj

satguy-bmj

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:57 PM

I've never seen a mount like that!

needs a service loop, not sure how sturdy the under eaves mount is

#207 OFFLINE   satguy-bmj

satguy-bmj

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:04 PM

I'm not an installer by any means but here's my setup. It was done on August 30th.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I just added the Multiswitch last month so I was wondering if your signal strength suffers when adding it plus 2 more receivers? I used to be in the high 80's low 90's but now I'm in the 70's.

dosent seem to be grounded properly, service loops could be better

#208 OFFLINE   satguy-bmj

satguy-bmj

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:07 PM

My under eave mount isnt going anywhere... I removed the installers original oversized lag bolts and put in 4 5/8" bolts and nuts with a 1/8" thick steel plate on the back as a washer.

Also, the original installer just left the grounding wire hanging down the side of the wall. It was only secured by the electrical panel ground bracket. I tidied that up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think its sad when the customer has to tidy up the installers work.

#209 OFFLINE   satguy-bmj

satguy-bmj

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:08 PM

I usually find that the bottom part of the mount sways which then moves the whole dish.

thats what the monopoles are for

#210 OFFLINE   MrShowtime

MrShowtime

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 06:41 AM

How to peak an International 95 Like a PRO

Posted Image
My posts represent my opinions and do not represent the opinions of directv, any hsp, or anyone else (including the cookie monster)

#211 OFFLINE   thekobk

thekobk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:12 PM

Ok please share your secrets on the International dish that thing is imposable to tweak.

#212 OFFLINE   MrShowtime

MrShowtime

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:58 PM

Ok please share your secrets on the International dish that thing is imposable to tweak.

making sure the mast is 100% level and solid is the key. An extra minute or two there will save you 5-10 minutes later.

Its more of a joke picture as it is some weird fluke on that guys receiver. No matter how many times I refreshed it always showed every transponder at 100 (99% on my birdog). Depending on the receiver I normally get them all between 88-98. Never seen them all like that though so I just had to share.
My posts represent my opinions and do not represent the opinions of directv, any hsp, or anyone else (including the cookie monster)

#213 OFFLINE   MrShowtime

MrShowtime

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:46 PM

/start brag

No pictures here, just wanted to share my "stats" for the 3rd quarter of 2009. My personal best quarter ever and the 2nd highest score ever on the DirectSat scorecard achieved by someone in my office. I also became the first tech in my site to make "level 4" so I'll be getting compensated nicely for the next 3 months. For those that are unfamiliar, DirectSat uses a scorecard to rate its techs on everything from completion percentage to Service calls in XX days. Your pay changes for the next quarter based on your score.
Level 1 - 0-64, Level 2 65-85, Level 3 86-100. There are bonus points and what not you can get too. They also have a special level 4 for service techs that have a level 3 score, sin7 < 1.5%, sin30 < 2%, 65% of their jobs are service calls. Only like 25 out of 1600 techs nationwide made it.

My final stats for the quarter were
Score: 111
Completion Percentage: 92.2% (I want to get this over 95% as we get paid per job)
Service in 7 Days: 0.28%
Service in 30 Days: 1.10%
Service in 90 Days: 3.7%

/end brag

#214 OFFLINE   MadMac

MadMac

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:12 PM

Well, I am not an installer, but if you would like to check out my self installed attic pictures, check my sig.

As you showed me yours, I'll show you mine....

http://www.dbstalk.c...85&d=1253943685

http://www.dbstalk.c...86&d=1253943685

#215 OFFLINE   scoobyxj

scoobyxj

Godfather

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:58 PM

Here are some before, and after pics of a job I came across. I was sent out to set the pole, and bury the cable after the utilities where marked. The sad part about this is is there was a perfectly good LOS from the upper roof but the existing D* installed cable was to short to work with our dish so he set it up as a ground mount due to laziness. You'll have to excuse some of the fuzzy pictures. My Cell sometimes won't focus correctly when taking pictures.

Posted Image

Existing cable entering house not sealed in any way.

Posted Image

The ground block complete with crimp fittings.

Posted Image

The ground messenger, and wire still attached to the D* multi switch.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Push on, and crimp fittings on back of VCR, and TV.

Posted Image
Posted Image

My work cleaning up this mess.

Dish set. (It is grounded. The ground lug is just behind the SVC loop.)

Posted Image

Coax entering house. Sealed.

Posted Image

Ground block with diplexers.

Posted Image

Good compression fitting on back of TV.

http://img.photobuck...090912-1551.jpg
http://img.photobuck...090912-1600.jpg

#216 OFFLINE   thekobk

thekobk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:04 PM

Good fittings but not directv approved.

#217 OFFLINE   MrShowtime

MrShowtime

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:07 PM

Good fittings but not directv approved.

i think he works for that other satellite company, maybe they are approved by them?

#218 OFFLINE   my1423

my1423

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:51 PM

Lol hd dish with rf coax feeding the tv witch has component and svideo inputs.

#219 OFFLINE   scoobyxj

scoobyxj

Godfather

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:54 PM

The fittings are PPC CMP series Which are just a slightly better version of the EX6 series. I have seen them on plenty of D* systems installed around here. The TV is a SD TV.

#220 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:16 PM

/start brag

No pictures here, just wanted to share my "stats" for the 3rd quarter of 2009. My personal best quarter ever and the 2nd highest score ever on the DirectSat scorecard achieved by someone in my office. I also became the first tech in my site to make "level 4" so I'll be getting compensated nicely for the next 3 months. For those that are unfamiliar, DirectSat uses a scorecard to rate its techs on everything from completion percentage to Service calls in XX days. Your pay changes for the next quarter based on your score.
Level 1 - 0-64, Level 2 65-85, Level 3 86-100. There are bonus points and what not you can get too. They also have a special level 4 for service techs that have a level 3 score, sin7 < 1.5%, sin30 < 2%, 65% of their jobs are service calls. Only like 25 out of 1600 techs nationwide made it.

My final stats for the quarter were
Score: 111
Completion Percentage: 92.2% (I want to get this over 95% as we get paid per job)
Service in 7 Days: 0.28%
Service in 30 Days: 1.10%
Service in 90 Days: 3.7%

/end brag

Well,

I had a 96 % completion rate and no service calls ever.
I called each installation customer and asked how things were going.

However, I have a court judgment against one of their subcontractors...Emerald Cabling & Satellite and DirectSatUSA says sorry about your luck.

Did you get paid?

Joe

Protected By... spam firewall...And...