Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Tech Thread: Show your work and face the heat.

• Please log in to reply
264 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   bb37

bb37

Godfather

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:51 PM

Coax entering house. Sealed.

Looks like an awfully tight bend on that coax where it enters the house. Minimum bend radius should be about 2 inches, shouldn't it?
Air, water, food, and shelter are needs.
Television and your favorite channels are wants.
Don't confuse the two.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:51 PM

Good fittings but not directv approved.

Neither are diplexers, but then again I'm pretty sure he's showing us a 1000.x dishnet dish.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#223 OFFLINE   MrShowtime

MrShowtime

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:50 PM

Well,

I had a 96 % completion rate and no service calls ever.
I called each installation customer and asked how things were going.

However, I have a court judgment against one of their subcontractors...Emerald Cabling & Satellite and DirectSatUSA says sorry about your luck.

Did you get paid?

Joe

I'm a service tech so its almost impossible for me to check up on the 6-8 customer houses I visit so some slip through the cracks. I'm well ahead of their "metrics". As for your install completion percentage, it is absolutely insane. In our area 85% is considered good, and if you get close to 90% you are a superstar. We have alot of apartment complexes and associations to deal with. I'm getting a $500 (after taxes) bonus check on thursday as a reward and I'm not sure if I can publicly state how much I'll be getting per service call on the forum, but its more than a fair amount. If you are interested in the exact amount, you can PM me. Oh and they seem to have a habbit of hiring the absolute worst subcontractors ever. I run on jobs they did and I just scratch my head at what I see.
My posts represent my opinions and do not represent the opinions of directv, any hsp, or anyone else (including the cookie monster)

#224 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:32 AM

The fittings are PPC CMP series Which are just a slightly better version of the EX6 series. I have seen them on plenty of D* systems installed around here. The TV is a SD TV.

Actually, the CMP line is the "bargain" line from PPC, and are definitely not as good (but not as expensive) as the EX6 line.

#225 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:55 AM

I'm a service tech so its almost impossible for me to check up on the 6-8 customer houses I visit so some slip through the cracks. I'm well ahead of their "metrics". As for your install completion percentage, it is absolutely insane. . . . Oh and they seem to have a habit of hiring the absolute worst subcontractors ever. I run on jobs they did and I just scratch my head at what I see.

I know what you are saying about the 96% = insane. But DirectSatUSA was sending their techs from Philly + the subcontractor from Baltimore was double booking things and or sending me completed routes ( ride around discovering installed customers all day). So the only jobs I claimed in court were the ones I completed less a few NLOS deals.

They sent me some jobs because the WOs said "DO NOT SEND SAME TECH" and the customers reported creepy guys looking in every room etc.

And you are right about the scumbag subs...I had passed on dealing with these guys at least a year earlier and only contacted them because DirectSatUSA was replacing MASTEC (so they said) in the area and referred me to them.

Everyone has different experiences.

Joe

Edited by joe diamond, 07 October 2009 - 08:58 AM.
typo

#226 OFFLINE   Rocko62580

Rocko62580

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:56 PM

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but this is one of my favorites, and I had to add my install pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG00091.jpg
  • IMG00101.jpg

#227 OFFLINE   avmaster

avmaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:02 AM

Actually, the CMP line is the "bargain" line from PPC, and are definitely not as good (but not as expensive) as the EX6 line.

Brainwashed opinion. They are less than $1 cheaper per bag of 50.

IMO the CMP > EX6. They tighten easier, crimp easier, and make a better connection. Direct TV tries to brainwash everyone into thinking that the EX6 fitting is so much better than everything else, it will most likely be another fitting next year, just like it was PPG fittings 2 years ago, those CMP's were actually the ones that were direct tv approved and supplied by Ironwood and other subs in the area for a long time. Im sure next year it will be something different.

The whole point is so that they 'force' you to cut off whatever old fittings are on the line and put new ones on.

#228 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:33 AM

Brainwashed opinion.

Hardly. I did my own evaluations of connectors in 2005, LONG before DirecTV adopted the PPC EX6-XL. If you'd read my posts here, you'd know I'm not the type of person to let my thinking be done for me.

The CMP line uses a hard plastic sealing ring inside of a thin brass wall on the back of the connector. It doesn't seal particuarly well and will allow moisture migration, proven with dye testing. It is also very prone to the plastic sealing ring misaligning during compression, causing, at best, an incomplete seal, and at worst rupturing the brass side wall. Finally, you must carry separate parts for standard dual-shield and quad-shield.

The EX6 is a considerably better design, seals far better, maintains compression alignment much better, and will work equally well on dual or quad-shield cable, allowing you to stock a single connector for both uses.

#229 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:17 AM

Hardly. I did my own evaluations of connectors in 2005, LONG before DirecTV adopted the PPC EX6-XL. If you'd read my posts here, you'd know I'm not the type of person to let my thinking be done for me.

The CMP line uses a hard plastic sealing ring inside of a thin brass wall on the back of the connector. It doesn't seal particuarly well and will allow moisture migration, proven with dye testing. It is also very prone to the plastic sealing ring misaligning during compression, causing, at best, an incomplete seal, and at worst rupturing the brass side wall. Finally, you must carry separate parts for standard dual-shield and quad-shield.

The EX6 is a considerably better design, seals far better, maintains compression alignment much better, and will work equally well on dual or quad-shield cable, allowing you to stock a single connector for both uses.

Agreed, while the CMP line may be good indoors, overall it's not a very good connector. While we were still being issued them, I can't count the number where the blue plastic piece would crack or shatter in cold temps when trying to compress them.

Yet it's always the techs fault for failing connections. :rolleyes:
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#230 OFFLINE   Mark40930

Mark40930

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:13 AM

Over 2 years and nothing new?

Would love to see some new good installs. Will be moving soon and need some good ideas for wherever I end up.;)

D* Setup:
1 x HR24-500 DVR

FTA Setup (in storage):
HotDish 90cm dish
Invacom Linear/Circular LNBF
Openbox S16 HD receiver

Another circumstance, too, worried me in those days: that there was no on like me and I was unlike anyone else. - Dostoyevsky

#231 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 378 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

I am not a tech but, here are some pics of my personal install before my neighbors moved in below and a tech decided to "share" my dish with them:mad:

Not 100% happy with the dish location but, its the only place the landlord would allow.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#232 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

I am not a tech but, here are some pics of my personal install before my neighbors moved in below and a tech decided to "share" my dish with them:mad:]

You should have a talk with the neighbors and let them know you don't want to share the dish. It's yours, and the installer had no right to use it without your permission. Besides, it could cause electrical safety issues. A call to Directv is in order.

#233 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 378 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

You should have a talk with the neighbors and let them know you don't want to share the dish. It's yours, and the installer had no right to use it without your permission. Besides, it could cause electrical safety issues. A call to Directv is in order.

I guess i should have included the link to my thread about it...

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=213371

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#234 OFFLINE   Wolfmanjohn

Wolfmanjohn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

Referencing the connector discussion above: what is the general opinion of the Digicon connectors? I am using the DS6 on Belden 1841C and love 'em to death.
"You gonna love it to death, baby!"

#235 OFFLINE   cwtech

cwtech

Mentor

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

here is you guys a couple to critique on.

Part you dont see. this is a garage area, triple sat dish on roof. cable goes into house right at the bottom of the ground block to a central location right inside the garage

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2122.jpg

Edited by cwtech, 09 April 2013 - 08:48 PM.

#236 OFFLINE   cwtech

cwtech

Mentor

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

not letting me upload any more right now, will edit and try again later

#237 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

LOL, not really a sat install, but

we've had a long term drought and it finally rained quite a bit last night and I noticed we had a considerable water standing in the back yard this morning. Wasn't sure what was going on so, when it rained more this afternoon, I went and looked. Turns out I have a plugged down spout. Poked around a bit, and realized problem was further down the down spout than I could finger.

Remembered my new Fiberglas fish tape and grabbed it. Unlike metal one, this ain't gonna get rusty!

Worked fine, poked and wiggled a bit and it was like flushing a toilet, away went all the water down the chute!

Love the fish tape, old one was metal and it was worrisome about getting electrocuted using it. This new one I have used up to 60 feet in conduit and it works fine. It seems slipperier than the metal one and seems to push better.

I will probably be chastised for using a perfectly good fish tape for mucking out a gutter, LOL. right tool for the right job.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20130409_175040_256.jpg

#238 OFFLINE   cwtech

cwtech

Mentor

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

so this was like one of them jobs you roll up to that is a qc fail when you pull up, when you leave it is a "passing" qc lol.

#239 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,113 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

Referencing the connector discussion above: what is the general opinion of the Digicon connectors? I am using the DS6 on Belden 1841C and love 'em to death.

I have used those connectors for years and have no issues with them whatsoever. That said, I do not work for DirecTV so i dont have to deal with passing QC. I am just talking custom work or fixing bad installs.
My Setup

#240 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

At one point in time, the Digicon DS6 series connerters where the perfered connecter then DTV tryed the LRC connecters, then they went back to the digicon.

I have used the Digicon sence they first came out in 1994 and have never had any problems with the install or passing a QC.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...