Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Tech Thread: Show your work and face the heat.

• Please log in to reply
264 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:33 PM

Some old pictures of 2 dish install Wildblue & DTV.

Attached Thumbnails

• Willdblue & Directv2.jpg
  • Willdblue & Directv.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#242 OFFLINE   cwtech

cwtech

Mentor

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:42 PM

trying to help revive the old thread and I enjoy seeing others work

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image (3).jpeg

#243 OFFLINE   cwtech

cwtech

Mentor

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:55 PM

I enjoyed this one, cust had dishnetwork ( out of site about 30 ft to the right ) cables not attached to the house and if it was it was drooping with clamps about 15 ft apart, wasnt grounded, no weather seals, barrels outside with the old crimp connecters, your getting the pic. Ran 2 new lines to both locations properly attachted in the grooves of the brick, one that wrapped the house was hid nicely in the trim, took a little extra time an made a extremely happy cust, icing on the cake once i was done, general chit chat with the cust and explaining the system, they said they had just took a from home dtv tech support job and was starting training in the next few days. So needless to say we had quite a while talk from both sides,  Was very interesting.

Attached Thumbnails

• image (2).jpeg

#244 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 1,998 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:56 PM

I'm not an installer, so I apologize if this a stupid question, but why do you have the splitter outside and run four cables into the house, rather than running the single cable into the cable and have the splitter inside? I'd be kind of annoyed if I had an install done that way, cutting a bigger hole in my house and having the splitter outside for no apparent reason...

EDIT: this is referring to the second picture in the 10:42PM post.

Edited by slice1900, 16 April 2013 - 09:56 PM.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#245 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

Per DTV required grounding is to be done outside. A ground block could have been put outside but then you got more connectors, more materials, extra db loss of signal, etc....

#246 OFFLINE   Wolfmanjohn

Wolfmanjohn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

On the subject of grounding from an amateur: while I have always understood the code requirements for outside grounding, I've always grounded multiswitches, splitters, amplifiers, etc. in the attic (in the interest of eliminating extraneous connectors and environmental protection) and put a separate ground on the mast assemblies outside the house.  That has been done with the full knowledge that even though there isn't much in the way of lightning around here, that doesn't mean sh*t can't happen and I can't lose some or all of my equipment in the process.

"You gonna love it to death, baby!"

#247 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

I've always grounded multiswitches, splitters, amplifiers, etc. in the attic (in the interest of eliminating extraneous connectors and environmental protection) and put a separate ground on the mast assemblies outside the house.

SOOOO>>>if you are doing ALL your grounding in the attic, just WHAT ARE GROUNDING too?

All main grounding is to be done between the dish and any other equipment by the main electrical ground for the house.

I hate working on homes that people put all there equipment in the attic.   Even on service calls, if I go in the attic, that is a custom charge of min $75.00.

Always charged and have always been paid.  

#248 OFFLINE   cwtech

cwtech

Mentor

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

I'm not an installer, so I apologize if this a stupid question, but why do you have the splitter outside and run four cables into the house, rather than running the single cable into the cable and have the splitter inside? I'd be kind of annoyed if I had an install done that way, cutting a bigger hole in my house and having the splitter outside for no apparent reason...

EDIT: this is referring to the second picture in the 10:42PM post.

also note that this was a new home construction, with the 4 rooms pre-wired, and that is the place the builders had it coming out of the house.

#249 OFFLINE   Wolfmanjohn

Wolfmanjohn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

I've always grounded multiswitches, splitters, amplifiers, etc. in the attic (in the interest of eliminating extraneous connectors and environmental protection) and put a separate ground on the mast assemblies outside the house.

SOOOO>>>if you are doing ALL your grounding in the attic, just WHAT ARE GROUNDING too?

All main grounding is to be done between the dish and any other equipment by the main electrical ground for the house.

I hate working on homes that people put all there equipment in the attic.   Even on service calls, if I go in the attic, that is a custom charge of min $75.00.

Always charged and have always been paid.  

Equipment in the attic is grounded to the HVAC unit, also in the attic, which is grounded to electrical panel ground.  Separate exterior ground on masts (dish, OTA tv antenna, XM antenna, FM antenna) goes to electrical panel ground.  Attic equipment is mounted on a board that is <2 feet from the access hole, with a light above it, and everything, including cables, is labeled; that's not for my convenience, as I know what's what and where every cable comes from or goes to.  One can get to all that standing on a ladder without having to go in the attic.  In the event someone else will be working up there, I will set up a ladder and remove the attic access door for them in advance of their arrival, and I think they have appreciated that. 

#250 OFFLINE   satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

That's a WB68, right? If so, may we start with you?

Installing the WB68 (page 2)
2. Mount the WB68 in a protected environment where it is shielded from rain and other water (sprinklers, etc.).

:)

That's baloney...   Those switches are designed to be installed outside hence the weather seals....     That looks like a good install

#251 OFFLINE   satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

Some old pictures of 2 dish install Wildblue & DTV.

You don't have to run 2 separate ground wires to the bond...   You can run a jumper ground from one ground block to the other then from the 2nd ground block run a ground wire to the bond...........   at least in Ohio we do...    maybe that's code in your state.

#252 OFFLINE   satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

Here's a couple older ones     I did not use siding plate because it didn't fit for his siding design,  Hence the direct attachment....

100_1375.JPG

100_1376.JPG

100_1377.JPG

100_1378.JPG

#253 OFFLINE   satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:37 AM

]I didn't do the original install but I did the REINSTALL........   I can't believe this got past the QC............  LOL

Photo0029.jpg  Photo0030.jpg  Photo0031.jpg  Photo0032.jpg  Photo0033.jpg  Photo0034.jpg

Photo0035.jpg  Photo0037.jpg  Photo0038.jpg

Photo0040.jpg  Photo0041.jpg  Photo0042.jpg

Photo0043.jpg  Photo0044.jpg  Photo0045.jpg

Photo0046.jpg  Photo0047.jpg

Took awhile to reinstall this...   Had to yank out all the crap the original installer put in and rerun all new cable........     I've seen some bad ones but this is a doosy.

#254 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

NEC states a separate attachment for each bond made.(that can be read to mean many ways). Wildblue would also fail if it were done that way. It was a specific clause in the contract that stated not to do that.

#255 OFFLINE   satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

NEC states a separate attachment for each bond made.(that can be read to mean many ways). Wildblue would also fail if it were done that way. It was a specific clause in the contract that stated not to do that.

Gotcha I didn't realize Wild Blue makes ya do that.....   I don't do WB but installing Dish if we drop 3 or more lines down from the same dish to 2 ground blocks we were instructed to use a jumper like that.   However if we had to use 2 dishes we were instructed to run a jumper messenger wire from one dish ground lug to the other dish ground lug and then from that run the messenger down to the ground.

#256 OFFLINE   cwtech

cwtech

Mentor

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:08 PM

Does Dish allow grounding to the HVAC unit breaker? You do know if lighting hits it, it stands a good chance at blowing the whole HVAC unit. I know technically that is supposed to be grounded, but the lighting and the surge still stands a very good chance at going through the HVAC unit,

#257 OFFLINE   Wolfmanjohn

Wolfmanjohn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

I would think that if a lightning strike is strong enough to take out a HVAC unit, the dish won't be there when one goes looking for it, either.

#258 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 1,998 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

Interesting thought about the HVAC unit. A few years ago in early spring a transformer a few blocks away from my house took a direct lightning hit. Loud bang, power out for a few hours. Everything sensitive in my house is on UPS or surge suppressor, so I thought I had no problems. A few weeks later when I went to turn on my AC for the first time, it didn't work. I had someone out and he said the capacitor had failed, and based on how it looked he said it was lightning and I told him about the recent strike. He suggested I use the on/off breaker switch next to it to turn it off during the cooler months, had I done that it would have survived the strike.

The point being, if a lightning strike blocks away was able to take out my AC, anything that gets enough power running through your dish to fry the AC through the ground wire probably gets enough power running through the AC to fry it anyway!

I recently learned I've had an ungrounded dish and OTA antenna at my business for the past eight years or so, which I plan to have addressed soon. I had an installer out to replace my LNB recently and had him check out the grounding situation based on what I'd learned on dbstalk.com. He didn't have time to take care of it on that visit, but he said it would be easy to do because my dish is fairly near a couple big HVAC units mounted on the roof. I figure at least in my case, those giant pieces of metal, being on the roof, are far more attractive to lightning that my puny dish and OTA antenna. If he runs ground wires to them I'm not too worried about a strike taking one out via the ground wire that wouldn't already have taken it out anyway :)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#259 OFFLINE   satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

Does Dish allow grounding to the HVAC unit breaker? You do know if lighting hits it, it stands a good chance at blowing the whole HVAC unit. I know technically that is supposed to be grounded, but the lighting and the surge still stands a very good chance at going through the HVAC unit,

Yeah, they allowed us to ground like that in Ohio............

#260 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

OK, here is a funny one:

yes, it is indoors.  It is also below grade. (technically, but it is a walk out basement on the non-street side).  Yes, it is shooting through a window, and believe it or not, it works great.  Home owner did not want an antenna on the roof or exterior wall.  I noted house was on a hilltop and basement was not finished, there was a window in the right place and the client was happy.

I did not bother with lightning protection on the coax this occasion, LOL!

Attached Thumbnails

• GetAttachment.aspx.jpg

spam firewall