Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Tech Thread: Show your work and face the heat.

• Please log in to reply
264 replies to this topic

#76 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,430 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:29 PM

WHAT?????

NOt one single site uses Duct Tape??? :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#77 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:34 PM

lol, look closer. black duct tape as temp cable stay.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#78 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:18 PM

disregard cabling, this is temporary for next 2 days and will be fixed when my fastners come in. the ground block will be moved too, everything will be weatherproofed since snow will climb up 3/4 of way to mount. bottom of mount plate is 6 feet off ground.

I can't mount on roof due to snow, I drift 3+ feet every storm and can't always get to raking it immediately. this type of mounting has worked for 4 years on primestar and D* dishes. this location is new, but the type of mount was the same on other side of house. I had to move it due to some trees growing 12 feet this year.

I can hang off this without moving it, right now its gusting 35 and its not even vibrating. the top 2x4 for poles will be weatherproofed this weekend with paint and sealant.

It looks mechanically sound but when that rig comes off the building......if that is plastic siding it will be crunched.

Joe

#79 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:23 PM

It looks mechanically sound but when that rig comes off the building......if that is plastic siding it will be crunched.

Joe

if that comes of the building it will take the wall with it. total of ten 1/4 x 4 1/2 lag bolts holding the 2x4's onto the 2x6 wall studs. those are not just bolted to the siding. although not in studs, there are also the 8 lag bolts holding the mount plate and monopoles (3 inch lags) onto the supports.
it takes a 200 lbs fat man :) hanging on it without moving.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#80 OFFLINE   firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:03 PM

Try to mount the dish so you can ground to the rod at the electric meter.
You may get away with mounting an 18" dish mast in the 2 x 2 frame that goes around trailer windows but.......as others have mentioned..there is really nothing to mount a dish to on a trailer.

Often there is rubber moulding near the skirt and this can be used to run cable & hide wire. Otherwise run it underneath with quick ties.

There is a combo cable that has two RG6 lines and 2 Cat 5 lines that, while expensive, would be great for what you plan. You just have to get the dish near the phone NID and ground point.

Joe

Thanks for the tips joe!

well, my plans have changed a bit... 1st.. where i was planning to mount the dish was on a add on room that was built the correct way with 2 x 4's but, i decided that it may be better to construct a pole mounted setup.

2nd... my plan was to run 2 RG6 and 2 cat5 lines to every room in the house. After some thought i decided that im gonna get a WB68 and when the ports are all there all.. after all the kids don't really need DTV in there bedrooms.....

Just out of wondering where would you find that combo cable sold?:confused:

My Setup

Slimline 3-LNB Dish
WB68 Muti-Switch
Living Room: R16-300
Master Bedroom: D12-500
Kids Bedroom: D12-500

Proudly Non Comcastic since 2007

#81 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:31 AM

I forgot how a pre-made cable messes you at the end due to radius of bends, so drip loops are not as neat as I'd like. they'll have to do though.
the ground block mount is lagged to studs and will be enclosed in next week, need to get some paint first.
ground is 10 gauge stranded used to bond aircraft during maintenance and storms. house ground is around corner and I bonded to that.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#82 OFFLINE   bb37

bb37

Godfather

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:52 AM

ground is 10 gauge stranded used to bond aircraft during maintenance and storms. house ground is around corner and I bonded to that.

Am I seeing loops in the ground wires? That might be a bad idea.

I fear this will stir up a debate about the purpose of grounding (static discharge vs. lightning protection), but I believe ground wires should run as directly as possible from the ground block to the common grounding point. No loops, sags, or un-necessary bends. I have read in other grounding discussions that a high energy pulse, such as from a lightning strike, will tend to ride along the surface of a conductor and the pulse may try to find another path to ground rather than follow a sharp bend in the conductor.

#83 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:57 AM

there are small loop there just to give slack in case end needs to be trimmed. I debated about bringing both in to the same set screw/side of block, I can easily change that. my thinking was that due to amount of windblown snow I get its easy to get corrosion and using all 4 screws (each wire is set into both screws) would possibly alleviate that.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#84 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:03 AM

I forgot how a pre-made cable messes you at the end due to radius of bends, so drip loops are not as neat as I'd like.

Your drip loops should be below the ground block instead of above. The purpose is to cause water hitting the ground block to flow away from it instead of towards it. Same thing for wall penetrations; the cable needs to come out of the wall and go down, so runs that go UP a wall should have a little "j" at the bottom.

#85 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:07 AM

Your drip loops should be below the ground block instead of above. The purpose is to cause water hitting the ground block to flow away from it instead of towards it. Same thing for wall penetrations; the cable needs to come out of the wall and go down, so runs that go UP a wall should have a little "j" at the bottom.

would flipping that loop going up to dish accomplish this?
there is a J on other run, it goes into a 90 deg pvc that is pointed down. is a loop up top needed there?
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#86 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:49 AM

Thanks for the tips joe!

well, my plans have changed a bit... 1st.. where i was planning to mount the dish was on a add on room that was built the correct way with 2 x 4's but, i decided that it may be better to construct a pole mounted setup.

2nd... my plan was to run 2 RG6 and 2 cat5 lines to every room in the house. After some thought i decided that im gonna get a WB68 and when the ports are all there all.. after all the kids don't really need DTV in there bedrooms.....

Just out of wondering where would you find that combo cable sold?:confused:

Belden and Skywalker are two. The first is a manufacturer, I think, but if they don't have it you don't need it. You may need to find a lkocal rep to buy from.

The second is a wholesale supplier I have used. If they have it it will be priced right and shipped promptly.

Also the site advertisers may have the stuff.

Combo cable is thicker to work with, service loops have to be bigger and it requires larger conduit if you plan to use it......use liquid soap to get it to run in the pipe....I have seen regular gutter pipe used as conduit for the stuff.

Be careful to protect it.One cut will ding your phones AND DTV.

Go for it

Joe

#87 OFFLINE   mjtville

mjtville

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 02:13 PM

A neighbors tree fell on our house after a day of heavy rainfall back in March of this year. Caused a lot of damage to the entire left side of the house (photo 3) and to the roof. I had an 18" dish mounted to the fascia board using an eave mount bracket (Perfect-10) with 6 lag screws. The dish was still intact as you can see in the first photo. It and the fascia is being held up by the coax that I had tucked behind vinyl trim. Bucket mount to the rescue (photo 2) first thing in the morning but sorry to say, no ground wire.

#88 OFFLINE   eandras

eandras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:05 PM

I think we know, from a previous post by the poster that that arraignment did not work, it cracked the rafters.

I would have mounted a 2X10 between where the dish is now, and the side of the roof.
put another on the inside and then use lag bolts to secure the dish.

I would have put a metal plate on the opposite side of the mount and used bolts going through the mount plate than the rafter and through the metal plate with all holes being predrilled as to not crack the rafters. Than double nut the bolt. With a constant low wind lag screw will have a tendency to loosen.

Edit: Did not see your next post of this mount with the metal plate. Good Job Fixing it Kornbln
"If to be right is to be different by all means be different"

#89 OFFLINE   eandras

eandras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:14 PM

This was my original 'exclusive-use' patio dish tree install,
reduced to two 'branches' since the demise of VOOM. Used
a10' corner fence post, put 4' into ground, w/6' ground rod.

Your dish tree has a nice patio to use. Looks real good.
"If to be right is to be different by all means be different"

#90 OFFLINE   mluntz

mluntz

Icon

• Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 09:09 AM

My old 3lnb was mounted to the window trim. When I had the windows replaced I put up a new Slimline with a pole mount so I didn't mess up the window trim. The dish is grounded to an 8ft. grounding rod in the ground.

000_0501.JPG

000_0502.JPG
DirecTV Customer since 1995
Directv/ HD-DVR HR20-700
Directv/ HD-DVR HR24-500 (2)
H24-700
Slimline 5 Dish
Premiere package holder
NFL Sunday Ticket Subscriber

#91 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,451 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Georgia

Posted 11 October 2008 - 09:17 AM

Your dish tree has a nice patio to use. Looks real good.

Thanks.

I moved to my new house last month, but the new occupant of the apartment, a lady cop, liked my dish tree so well, she decided to get Dish and utilize my setup instead of going with Comcast.

~ 13 Years on DBSTalk ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#92 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 11:54 AM

My old 3lnb was mounted to the window trim. When I had the windows replaced I put up a new Slimline with a pole mount so I didn't mess up the window trim. The dish is grounded to an 8ft. grounding rod in the ground.

[ATTACH]15942[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15943[/ATTACH]

a few comments (and do not take them too serious)
The jacket color on the ground wire should be green, not brown, brown is usually the neutral wire in wiring, not ground.
IS the ground rod tied by large diameter wire to the electrical ground?
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#93 OFFLINE   mjtville

mjtville

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:23 AM

Three oldies but goodies for your viewing and discussion pleasure. I personally hate to see wires on a home and thankfully so do my customers! I am one that does not mount on the roof unless I absolutely have to. Sorry about picture quality, these are photos of photos. Wanna see how my competition was trying to copy me?

#94 OFFLINE   mjtville

mjtville

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 01:24 PM

All I can say about these installs is that they are not mine.......:nono2: ........These were also taken during the same time period as my previous post. And once again, photos of photos. Photo #1- spend the time to install the ground block with no ground from dish and then he wrapped his ground wire from block around insulated gnd. wire. Photo #2- lines coming out of home connected straight to LNB along with dish mounted on vinyl with sheet rock screws. At the time, antenna mounting instructions specifically stated "do not mount on vinyl siding".

#95 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 03:01 PM

mjtville,

That's a very unusual soffit mount you've got there.

Nice "split bolt" they used on that ground wire too... :lol:

#96 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 03:18 PM

I like how you ran the wires up under, wish I could do that but that would be broken by december up here. 3 feet of wet snow sliding off thumps things pretty loudly :)
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#97 OFFLINE   ironwood

ironwood

Icon

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 03:19 PM

Three oldies but goodies for your viewing and discussion pleasure. I personally hate to see wires on a home and thankfully so do my customers! I am one that does not mount on the roof unless I absolutely have to. Sorry about picture quality, these are photos of photos. Wanna see how my competition was trying to copy me?

What a pain. Probably works for basic dish but for HD you need monopoles and there is no place to attach them to.

#98 OFFLINE   mjtville

mjtville

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 03:55 PM

What a pain. Probably works for basic dish but for HD you need monopoles and there is no place to attach them to.

These particular mounts were built and installed in 2003. For upgrades I normally slip a 2" OD adapter on the upright portion of the mast (sometimes I replace the entire mast, depends on soffit depth) and for monopoles, i use 4" stainless screws with washers through the back wall of the gutter into the rafter ends.

#99 OFFLINE   asjamias

asjamias

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:53 PM

I'm not a tech but like erict, I chose to do my own, so here's my half done pole mount...will finish it up by friday or weekend at the very least.

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 017_copy.jpg
  • Picture 019_copy.jpg

#100 OFFLINE   MONSTERMAN

MONSTERMAN

Godfather

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:51 PM

Posted Image

Very nice install. I wouldn't change a thing. The bushings sealing the cable through the wall is what I use as well.

What size grounding wire is that? Most say that the minimum should be #10 AWG. But I think #12 AWG is fine especially if it is stranded copper. After all grounding, like said before is mainly for static discharge from the LNB's and cabling.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...