Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Tech Thread: Show your work and face the heat.

• Please log in to reply
264 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Malibu13

Malibu13

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:56 AM

Very nice! :)

While I’m not an installer, I still take pride in my own work. So here is my self-install:D This was done back in may.

[ATTACH]15671[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15672[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15673[/ATTACH] This pic still shows the ground wire from pole. I did remove this and put another ground rod at pole instead. And yes, both ground rods are bonded to my main ground.

[ATTACH]15674[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15675[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15677[/ATTACH]

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:09 PM

This is one of least intrusive ways to mount a dish. All you need is 4 wood screws and maybe couple of self tappers.

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1221967536

Nice SWMLine! :grin:
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

#63 OFFLINE   cweave02

cweave02

W4SKO

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:55 PM

Not my best work, but the job has to go in. :lol:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1222002209

Isn't that the dish from the James Bond movie?
HR21-100, Samsung HLT-5076S (HDMI)
HR21-100, Samsung LN-S4096
H20-700 (x2 in Virginia)

Go TRIBE!

#64 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 01:56 PM

Isn't that the dish from the James Bond movie?

Aricebo, it is a spy satellite dish.
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#65 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:29 PM

My under eave mount isnt going anywhere... I removed the installers original oversized lag bolts and put in 4 5/8" bolts and nuts with a 1/8" thick steel plate on the back as a washer.

Also, the original installer just left the grounding wire hanging down the side of the wall. It was only secured by the electrical panel ground bracket. I tidied that up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks good but I would not use the hangers on the ground wire. IF the parging (mortar coat) comes off the wall or breaks iny time in the next few centuries there would be one of those phone calls. Your house and you did it. Looks good.

Joe

#66 OFFLINE   kevinm34232

kevinm34232

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:19 AM

Looks good but I would not use the hangers on the ground wire. IF the parging (mortar coat) comes off the wall or breaks iny time in the next few centuries there would be one of those phone calls. Your house and you did it. Looks good.

Joe

Are you talking about the flex clips for the ground wire? What else would you use?

#67 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:16 PM

Haven't been around for a while but good to see this one is still going strong.
Did a up to spec job yesterday but no pic since the house was just to gross to stick around too long. brrr
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#68 OFFLINE   firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 06:14 PM

Just wondering everyones thoughts........

Plan on doing a future install in a mobile home.. I was thinking that i would mount the dish to an outside wall on the house where ever i can get the best line of sight, run PVC piping from the dish to a small junction box (where the grounding block will be) and the PVC from there to inside the house to a closet where my mutiswicth will be... My question is do u think it be worth the effort to run PVC from the closet to each box in the wall where my TV's will be? Just wondered how well they would hold up under the mobile home... I don't plan on having any splices in the line under there, it would be a straight unbroken run from the closet to the boxes.

also i plan on running Cat5 lines with my sat feeds to each box... thats part of the reason why i thought of running PVC from the closet to the wall boxes.....:rolleyes:

My Setup

Slimline 3-LNB Dish
WB68 Muti-Switch
Living Room: R16-300
Master Bedroom: D12-500
Kids Bedroom: D12-500

Proudly Non Comcastic since 2007

#69 OFFLINE   erict

erict

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 06:51 PM

Plan on doing a future install in a mobile home.. I was thinking that i would mount the dish to an outside wall on the house where ever i can get the best line of sight, run PVC piping from the dish to a small junction box (where the grounding block will be) and the PVC from there to inside the house to a closet where my mutiswicth will be... My question is do u think it be worth the effort to run PVC from the closet to each box in the wall where my TV's will be? Just wondered how well they would hold up under the mobile home... I don't plan on having any splices in the line under there, it would be a straight unbroken run from the closet to the boxes.

also i plan on running Cat5 lines with my sat feeds to each box... thats part of the reason why i thought of running PVC from the closet to the wall boxes.....:rolleyes:

No I don’t think it’s worth the effort. Just use a good quality cable and you’ll be good to go. Not sure how good your access is underneath but the only advantage it would be is if you had to replace one of the runs for some reason. That way you wouldn’t have to crawl back under your crawl space.
Panasonic 50PZ85U
Vizio VO32L
Sony HT-CT100
D* 5LNB Slimline
HR21-100
H23-600
ALL CONTROLLED BY A HARMONY ONE

#70 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:12 PM

The outside wall of a mobile home isn't a very solid location for a satellite dish. You might consider a pole.

#71 ONLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,473 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:31 PM

I'm not a tech,installer or anything like that.
But,I have enjoyed this thread since it was created.
Thought I would give it a bump to see if anyone else has any new/recent work they would like to post/discuss. :)

Steve

#72 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:18 PM

Are you talking about the flex clips for the ground wire? What else would you use?

Nothing,

Show the customer and let them glue it or give them some flex clips. When these systems come down the holes left by clips make folks want to sue somebody.

I have been sent on service calls where the customer wanted me to replace a whole wall of siding because another tech used ROKA clips every 18" down the middle of a wall to connect a dish to a ground block.

It is a form or function thing. I have been led around by the nose by customers who did not care how stuff works...they want it invisible.

Your job is neat and correctly done but...those holes!

Joe

#73 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:23 PM

I'm not a tech,intaller or anything like that.
But,I have enjoyed this thread since it was created.
Thought I would give it a bump to see if anyone else has any new/recent work they would like to post/discuss. :)

if you promise to disregard the temp cable runs tomorrow I'll post my mounting to vinyl on mobile home that you can hang off.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#74 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:27 PM

Try to mount the dish so you can ground to the rod at the electric meter.
You may get away with mounting an 18" dish mast in the 2 x 2 frame that goes around trailer windows but.......as others have mentioned..there is really nothing to mount a dish to on a trailer.

Often there is rubber moulding near the skirt and this can be used to run cable & hide wire. Otherwise run it underneath with quick ties.

There is a combo cable that has two RG6 lines and 2 Cat 5 lines that, while expensive, would be great for what you plan. You just have to get the dish near the phone NID and ground point.

Joe

#75 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:46 PM

edited 11-1-08 to combine posts.
disregard cabling om 1-3, this was temp and is corrected in other pics. everything will be weatherproofed since snow will climb up 3/4 of way to mount. bottom of mount plate is 6 feet off ground.

I can't mount on roof due to snow, I drift 3+ feet every storm and can't always get to raking it immediately. this type of mounting has worked for 4 years on DirecWay and D* dishes. this location is new, but the type of mount was the same on other side of house. I had to move it due to some trees growing 12 feet this year.

I can hang off this without moving it, right now its gusting 35 and its not even vibrating. the top 2x4 for poles will be weatherproofed this weekend with paint and sealant.
total of ten 1/4 x 4 1/2 lag bolts holding the 2x4's onto the 2x6 wall studs. those are not just bolted to the siding. although not in studs, there are also the 8 lag bolts holding the mount plate and monopoles (3 inch lags) onto the supports.
it takes a 200 lbs fat man hanging on it without moving.
ground block is weatherproofed and enclosed now.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6.JPG
  • 5.JPG
  • 4.JPG
  • 3.JPG
  • 2.JPG
  • 1.JPG

Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#76 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,044 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:29 PM

WHAT?????

NOt one single site uses Duct Tape??? :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#77 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:34 PM

lol, look closer. black duct tape as temp cable stay.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#78 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:18 PM

disregard cabling, this is temporary for next 2 days and will be fixed when my fastners come in. the ground block will be moved too, everything will be weatherproofed since snow will climb up 3/4 of way to mount. bottom of mount plate is 6 feet off ground.

I can't mount on roof due to snow, I drift 3+ feet every storm and can't always get to raking it immediately. this type of mounting has worked for 4 years on primestar and D* dishes. this location is new, but the type of mount was the same on other side of house. I had to move it due to some trees growing 12 feet this year.

I can hang off this without moving it, right now its gusting 35 and its not even vibrating. the top 2x4 for poles will be weatherproofed this weekend with paint and sealant.

It looks mechanically sound but when that rig comes off the building......if that is plastic siding it will be crunched.

Joe

#79 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:23 PM

It looks mechanically sound but when that rig comes off the building......if that is plastic siding it will be crunched.

Joe

if that comes of the building it will take the wall with it. total of ten 1/4 x 4 1/2 lag bolts holding the 2x4's onto the 2x6 wall studs. those are not just bolted to the siding. although not in studs, there are also the 8 lag bolts holding the mount plate and monopoles (3 inch lags) onto the supports.
it takes a 200 lbs fat man :) hanging on it without moving.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#80 OFFLINE   firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:03 PM

Try to mount the dish so you can ground to the rod at the electric meter.
You may get away with mounting an 18" dish mast in the 2 x 2 frame that goes around trailer windows but.......as others have mentioned..there is really nothing to mount a dish to on a trailer.

Often there is rubber moulding near the skirt and this can be used to run cable & hide wire. Otherwise run it underneath with quick ties.

There is a combo cable that has two RG6 lines and 2 Cat 5 lines that, while expensive, would be great for what you plan. You just have to get the dish near the phone NID and ground point.

Joe

Thanks for the tips joe!

well, my plans have changed a bit... 1st.. where i was planning to mount the dish was on a add on room that was built the correct way with 2 x 4's but, i decided that it may be better to construct a pole mounted setup.

2nd... my plan was to run 2 RG6 and 2 cat5 lines to every room in the house. After some thought i decided that im gonna get a WB68 and when the ports are all there all.. after all the kids don't really need DTV in there bedrooms.....

Just out of wondering where would you find that combo cable sold?:confused:

My Setup

Slimline 3-LNB Dish
WB68 Muti-Switch
Living Room: R16-300
Master Bedroom: D12-500
Kids Bedroom: D12-500

Proudly Non Comcastic since 2007

Protected By... spam firewall...And...