Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MGM HD - Commercials

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 618 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:21 AM

DISH Network is now inserting commercials on MGM HD. At least one case where a commercial ended up in a middle of a movie (obviously a miscue). Isn't this a non-commercial HD channel? Something similar to a premium channel?

As for the commercials, they were standard definition.

A way to make revenue on channels that normally don't run commercials. It is bad enough that they stick in the fill in commercials on the cable channels (Enzyte, Maxaderm, Super Claening Cloth, etc.), but doing so on non-commercial channels is going to far. No wonder they are losing subscribers.

And yes, no new HD for over six weeks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:33 PM

I haven't seen what you are talking about... but I don't believe Dish could insert commercials to a non-commercial channel without permission of that channel... which would then make that channel a commercial channel. IF there are commercials here, like UniversalHD started doing, then blame the channel for it.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:38 PM

I think you can blame the channel because there are commercials on this channel from DirecTV, also.

I've only seen them between movies, however.

#4 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:48 PM

DISH Network is now inserting commercials on MGM HD. At least one case where a commercial ended up in a middle of a movie (obviously a miscue). Isn't this a non-commercial HD channel? Something similar to a premium channel?

As for the commercials, they were standard definition.

A way to make revenue on channels that normally don't run commercials. It is bad enough that they stick in the fill in commercials on the cable channels (Enzyte, Maxaderm, Super Claening Cloth, etc.), but doing so on non-commercial channels is going to far. No wonder they are losing subscribers.

And yes, no new HD for over six weeks.

Another reason why I don't subscribe to that tier. it's not worth $10.. Dish must be hurting since the VOOM days.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#5 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:57 PM

I haven't seen what you are talking about... but I don't believe Dish could insert commercials to a non-commercial channel without permission of that channel... which would then make that channel a commercial channel. IF there are commercials here, like UniversalHD started doing, then blame the channel for it.

Those ads are from the Google partnership from two years ago.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#6 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:39 PM

DANG! I keep forgetting that TCM isn"t in AT 100. I'm dumping Comcast for Internet next month for DSL $19 VS $60 Comcast.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#7 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 824 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:53 AM

I watched a concert on Palladia the other day and was amazed at all the commercials. At first it was one about every 20 minutes. Later on it was one every 3 songs.

#8 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:28 AM

I want RAVE!! ;)
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#9 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:29 PM

I want RAVE!! ;)

Hey, don't bring that up or the moderators will close the thread since there is another........oh, never mind. :P

P.S. I miss it too!

#10 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:49 PM

No questioning moderation!!! ;)
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#11 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:52 PM

I watched a concert on Palladia the other day and was amazed at all the commercials. At first it was one about every 20 minutes. Later on it was one every 3 songs.

About the only good thing about Palladia and all of its commercials are:

(1) they haven't sold anywhere near enough to fill the hour so most commercials are just short promos, and

(2) as opposed to when it was MHD, the breaks are a lot quieter than the program. I often just listen to a concert off of Palladia/MHD - the Dave Matthews one running now is excellent - only sitting down ocassionally to watch the songs I really like, and this way I can easily ignore the promo breaks.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#12 OFFLINE   Terry740

Terry740

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:56 PM

That's about right for the music channels. That why I pause it for about 30 or 40 minutes while I do something around the house then I watch and listen.

#13 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:59 PM

No questioning moderation!!! ;)

Remember...

All things in moderation... including moderation.

;)

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#14 OFFLINE   dbconsultant

dbconsultant

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

Posted 19 September 2008 - 07:27 AM

Remember...

All things in moderation... including moderation.

;)

Moderately speaking?:lol:

Debi

Hopper and one Joey
Sony KDL-40W5100 HDTV
Pioneer VSX-41 A/V Receiver
Magnavox DVD Recorder
Sony DVP-NC665P CD/DVD Player

Sony BlueRay Player

#15 OFFLINE   grog

grog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 396 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 07:34 AM

:)

I want RAVE!! ;)

Philips 47" 1080p LCD HDTV 47pfl7422d/37
Philips 42" 1080p LCD HDTV 42pfl3704D
Magnavox 32" 720p LCD HDTV 32MF338B/27
Magnavox 720p 19" LCD
2x DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR (HR24-200 with 1TB ESATA via Thermaltake BlacX external dock), 2x DIRECTV® HD Receiver (H24-200), 1 DIRECTV® Slimline Dish, MRV with Deca CINEMAplus

Protected By... spam firewall...And...