Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Do I receive the award for worst DTV install in the nation?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:28 AM

Yes it still works after 7 months :eek2:

Past performance does not necessarily represent future results. ;)

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,320 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:08 AM

Crap, pure crap! Unacceptable.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#23 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:57 AM

White does not always equal not good for outdoors, most of the cable companies around here use outdoor rated white cable.

White actually is better many times as it does not absorb as much heat/uv radiation as black does. The problem is that the composition of the cable to make it white many times makes it not UV stable, and thus you have to be careful when ordering and such to make sure it is UV rated.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#24 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:01 AM

At least he didn't put the switch in the vent.

Hmm, that might not have been a bad idea.:)
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#25 OFFLINE   Supervolcano

Supervolcano

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:33 AM

And no one so far asked the 64 million dollar question.

Why did it take you 7 months to first mention this?
:D
Click Here to See my Equipment and SWM8 Configuration.
Click Here for My Theories on why we have no shouldn't have DLB yet.
Click Here to Review cbaker's "Long Term (Multiple CE) Bug List".

#26 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:38 AM

I look at this and see the mess like everyone else. I have stopped judging these things. Where had the tech been before this job? Was the sun still up? Snowing? Raining? What else was he expected to do that day?

I still see the ads for "traveling road crews" that are invited into an area to run up the numbers for an HSP. "If they are watching DTV when you leave you will be paid."

Who is dedicated to quality to the extent that they will go to this job and fix it for FREE? Do you think the "tech" who did this is still working?

Joe

#27 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:31 AM

After seeing the mess that the OP received, I had to show you what a quality install I received. The Mastec installer was very neat and mounted the dish on the back roof of my house with access to the Southwest over the peak of my roof. He also ran the cable under the lip of the overhang, so you can hardly see the cable. From the street, you would never know there is a dish on the roof. Of course having the SWM LNB, makes for a neater installation as well.

[Click on thumbnail to enlarge image]
[ATTACH]15651[/ATTACH][ATTACH]15650[/ATTACH]

#28 OFFLINE   charlesml3

charlesml3

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:42 PM

This is exactly why I do all of my own installs. I can't help myself when I drive around neighborhoods. I always look at installs to see how they did it. I'm firmly convinced that DirecTV and DishNetwork installers are told to put the dish in a VERY prominant location where it can be easily seen from the street.

There's one about a block away from me with the dish right on the front garage roof peak with the cables just stretched across the roof. That dish could EASILY have been mounted on the side of the house beside the A/C and still had clear LOS. And been a lot easier to service if necessary.

I hardly ever mount a dish on the roof. A pole mount out in the corner of the lot or a tripod mount on the side of the house down low is much preferred.

Clean, tidy installs are all I do....

-Charles

#29 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 02:34 PM

I'm firmly convinced that DirecTV and DishNetwork installers are told to put the dish in a VERY prominant location where it can be easily seen from the street.

No, they are taught to install the dish near the house's ground source, which is where the service entrance for the utilities, including cable, is located. This allows the dish to be properly grounded and provides the shortest cable path, meaning less visible cable on the outside of the house and the best possible signal.

Mounting the dish elsewhere may also require custom mounts that customers don't want to pay for.

#30 OFFLINE   charlesml3

charlesml3

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:00 PM

No, they are taught to install the dish near the house's ground source

I'm sure you're right but I just don't see it. I see installs all over my neighborhood that look like they were done by an 7th grader.

#31 OFFLINE   ironwood

ironwood

Icon

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:23 PM

Its not the worst install. The worst is when your dish is pointing between the trees and every time you get wind you lose signal. In other words something that prevents you from watching TV in your living room. If you been watching TV for 7 months without a problem then you are much better off than many others. If you lose signal basically all you will need is realignment and addition of 2 monopoles. Put tar or silicone around lag bolts.
Job was done bad but once again as long as your TV watching experience is trouble free you are in good shape.

#32 OFFLINE   ironwood

ironwood

Icon

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:26 PM

This is exactly why I do all of my own installs. I can't help myself when I drive around neighborhoods. I always look at installs to see how they did it. I'm firmly convinced that DirecTV and DishNetwork installers are told to put the dish in a VERY prominant location where it can be easily seen from the street.

There's one about a block away from me with the dish right on the front garage roof peak with the cables just stretched across the roof. That dish could EASILY have been mounted on the side of the house beside the A/C and still had clear LOS. And been a lot easier to service if necessary.

I hardly ever mount a dish on the roof. A pole mount out in the corner of the lot or a tripod mount on the side of the house down low is much preferred.

Clean, tidy installs are all I do....

-Charles

Dish on front of the house is a failed QC. We required to install on the back of side of the house. If your service panel is on the side where it can be seen from the street then thats where the dish is going. Ask your builder to put service panel on the back of the home next time.

#33 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,490 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:36 PM

Problems:

- Mounted over the living space (BIG NO-NO!)

What does this mean? Every part of my roof is over living space.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#34 OFFLINE   ironwood

ironwood

Icon

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:58 PM

Overhangs are safe. We want to prevent water leaking in your room or attic. If it leaks at least it should leak outside.

You need pole mount or under eave mount.

#35 OFFLINE   ironwood

ironwood

Icon

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:06 PM

I look at this and see the mess like everyone else. I have stopped judging these things. Where had the tech been before this job? Was the sun still up? Snowing? Raining? What else was he expected to do that day?

I still see the ads for "traveling road crews" that are invited into an area to run up the numbers for an HSP. "If they are watching DTV when you leave you will be paid."

Who is dedicated to quality to the extent that they will go to this job and fix it for FREE? Do you think the "tech" who did this is still working?

Joe

Same here. In this particular case the old dish probably was installed on the same spot (look where the old cable goes) so tech took it off the roof and mounted the new one using same existing holes. Maybe thats why no monopoles.

If I see an existing hole in the wall thats 2 inches in diameter? What do I do? Drill a new one? No. I use that hole that already there then cover it with a plate or find some solution. Somebody can look and say that technician did it, he was a moron and caused major damage.

#36 OFFLINE   Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth

Icon

• Administrators
  • 564 posts
  • LocationAlabaster, AL

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:21 PM

Problems:
- AT9 dish should NOT have been installed 7 months ago; should have been Slimline

They could hav!e at least given you the Slimline

I agree with all of the responses calling this a poor install except for these. I realize that the Slimline is the standard dish now, but what if all they had left at the time were the sidecar dishes? Most customers would rather have their service installed now than to have to wait for them to get a Slimline. There are enough delayed installs as it is. Obviously I don't know if this was the case or not, but it is a possibility. My tech had to call around and find a dish to do my install...and I was the first of the day. He didn't think he was going to find one.

Why all the hate for the sidecar dish anyway? I know there were some back in the day with bad LNBs, but my experience with the sidecar dish on my old house was better than with my current Slimline. I just seem to have more rain fade issues with the Slimline (and yes the alignment is good on the Slimline). I must be the only person around here that preferred the sidecar dish. I almost took that sidecar dish down and brought it with me when I moved...

DBSTalk Site Administrator

U-Verse U450 w/Whole Home DVR

Cisco ISB7500 (upgraded to 1TB) >> 32" LG LCD
Cisco ISB7000 >> 60" LG Plasma
Cisco IPN330HD 46" Sharp Aquos LCD
Cisco ISB7005 (Wireless) >> 42" Philips LCD
2Wire/Pace 3801HGV Gateway

LIVESTRONG_logo_small.png - 2 Time Cancer Survivor

#37 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:49 AM

The sidecar AT-9 dish, with it's exposed jumpers, is a recipe for signal disaster. Those cables aren't very UV stable and get brittle and crack, and aren't well moisture-sealed. It was just a bad design all around. Not to mention, there are no spare parts, so WHEN it breaks, it must be replaced with a Slimline.

#38 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:51 AM

If you don't have any overhang area, it means the dish does not go on the roof. No penetrations, including lag bolts, are allowed over the living space of the house. On an overhang, if the roof leaks despite measures taken against it, the leak is already outside, and won't damage anything. If the dish is mounted over the living space, who knows what could get damaged due to a leak?

There are several custom mounting options available to prevent such a bad choice from having to be made.

#39 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:00 AM

If you don't have any overhang area, it means the dish does not go on the roof. No penetrations, including lag bolts, are allowed over the living space of the house. On an overhang, if the roof leaks despite measures taken against it, the leak is already outside, and won't damage anything. If the dish is mounted over the living space, who knows what could get damaged due to a leak?

There are several custom mounting options available to prevent such a bad choice from having to be made.

Even if the dish is mounted on the overhang you get service calls as in:

"Ever since that satellite thing went on my roof I get water in my basement when it rains. My son called them and wants insurance money to fix it right!"

So I met with the son and we went into the basement to look at the water. While in the basement the dishwasher went on and the water flowed. There was an unglued PVC joint and it leaked rain or shine on the opposite of the building from the DTV dish.

So it cost me an hour to explain that there would be no insurance money to fix anything. If I had been with an HSP this would have also cost me $100.00.

Ya do what ya can.

Joe

Protected By... spam firewall...And...