Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Best 3rd party remote for VIP 722?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   swissy

swissy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:12 PM

The newest MX-900 can be had for about the same price as a Harmony 890 and it has USB and PC programming capabilities.

The feature I like the most on the URC remotes is the "pause" for making a macro only fire if the button is held down. Perhaps the Harmony has this, but I find that feature invaluable. It makes the WAF much higher because she can see the label and hold down the button and everything switches for her. And I can still switch between components without the macro getting in the way.

I am a URC fan, but I can see why so many people like the Harmony 880. It is a nice remote.

BTW, I loved the JP1 and the ability to enter hex codes for customizing the remote! However, I must admit, USB is easier for most people.
Peter

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   leemathre

leemathre

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 10:07 AM

The MX series would be my second choice. Had one for so long, it was sent in for repairs twice! Kids kept dropping it. The advantage the Harmony has, and why I changed to them after the last drop/break, is the USB programming and web based storage of settings. Made restoring the many customizations much easier. Not sure if MX has one with something better than the JP1 connection now, but at that time it didn't. I really liked my MX-500 though! It had the 3 specific power buttons at the bottom to solve the issue I described above. ;)

I think you can solve the issue you describe about your DVD player not remembering the last location when you pause it and switch to a different activity. Logitech, for some reason, defaults to sending an extra stop command to the DVD player when you exit the activity. I have fixed this on at least three different brands of DVD players by changing a setting in the Logitech setup. Login to your account, select activities and on the activity you want to fix, select 'settings". On the settings page, select "change options". The last box on that page is "Stop on Exit" and it defaults to "Send Stop Command". Change that to "Don't Send Stop Command". I do not guarantee that this will work depending upon your brand of DVD, but it is a change that is easy to try and has worked for me. I cannot claim this as my fix, because I found it in the Harmony One support forum on avsforums. Hope it works for you.
4 Dish ViP 622's; Dish1000+ =110/118.7/119/129; DPP44 X 2; Four DPP Separators

#23 OFFLINE   msf676

msf676

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 12:11 PM

I use the URC R7... $29.99 from Best Buy

#24 OFFLINE   ibglowin

ibglowin

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:02 AM

Hey,

Late to the party here but just picked up a refurbed Harmony 880 from Amazon for $69 with free shipping (Prime) ! Looks brand new. Set up went well but I have a couple of questions for anyone with a Dish 622 or 722 DVR.

I have a 58" Panny Plasma
Onkyo AV Receiver
Toshiba HD-DVD A20
AppleTV
Dish 722

I was flabbergasted by the lack of any sort of hard DVR button on the 880. I got around it by teaching the command and using the + button on the lower left of the 880. I added a DVR button to the menu but could not get it to the top screen in "activities" - Watch TV. You had to hit devices then PVR then it would show up on the menu. I didn't want to have to hit 3 buttons just to get to the DVR button so I used the + button.

Is anyone else doing something different or perhaps more novel/better to get the DVR button programmed in to an easier to find area?

The lack of a hard DVR button is really puzzling for such an advanced remote. Other than that its a pretty darn cool remote. I may finally have the one remote to "rule them all"!

The seamless integration of the Onkyo for audio is perfect. I am all HDMI with 4HDMI in (PS3 as well) and only one HDMI out to the TV.

I need to check out a couple more things like how it handles (or if) the Zone 2 speakers etc but very pleased out of the box! :P
Mike

"I always wanted to be a scientist, and now I are one."

#25 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 568 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:51 PM

I programmed the hard "Menu" button to be the "DVR" button, since it is really a "menu" of your DVR recordings. I added a "VIP722 Setup" button to the #7 upper button as the 722 menu button. You can move any of the programmable buttons to any page and change the order on each page. 880 remote is great.

Hey,

Late to the party here but just picked up a refurbed Harmony 880 from Amazon for $69 with free shipping (Prime) ! Looks brand new. Set up went well but I have a couple of questions for anyone with a Dish 622 or 722 DVR.

I have a 58" Panny Plasma
Onkyo AV Receiver
Toshiba HD-DVD A20
AppleTV
Dish 722

I was flabbergasted by the lack of any sort of hard DVR button on the 880. I got around it by teaching the command and using the + button on the lower left of the 880. I added a DVR button to the menu but could not get it to the top screen in "activities" - Watch TV. You had to hit devices then PVR then it would show up on the menu. I didn't want to have to hit 3 buttons just to get to the DVR button so I used the + button.

Is anyone else doing something different or perhaps more novel/better to get the DVR button programmed in to an easier to find area?

The lack of a hard DVR button is really puzzling for such an advanced remote. Other than that its a pretty darn cool remote. I may finally have the one remote to "rule them all"!

The seamless integration of the Onkyo for audio is perfect. I am all HDMI with 4HDMI in (PS3 as well) and only one HDMI out to the TV.

I need to check out a couple more things like how it handles (or if) the Zone 2 speakers etc but very pleased out of the box! :P

#26 OFFLINE   FastNOC

FastNOC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:56 PM

I'm using the Harmony '1' and i love it. It's not cheap. I had a harmony 1000 advanced and hated it.

The 1 is very nice, has touch screen and the buttons are all in the right places and match up well with Dish

#27 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:06 PM

I'll cast another vote for the Harmony 880. Love ours, got it as a housewarming gift. What a great gift!!

Plusses: It does everything, literally
Minuses: Buttons are a little small for us older types to see. Wife won't use it for that very reason.

Vip722, Yamaha-661, Oppo 980, Ipod, Mits 65732
The Cable and Satellite TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating its customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it, garnering them the distinction of "Most Universally Despised" of all PAY-TV providers in the industry.

#28 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 416 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:49 PM

I programmed the hard "Menu" button to be the "DVR" button, since it is really a "menu" of your DVR recordings. I added a "VIP722 Setup" button to the #7 upper button as the 722 menu button. You can move any of the programmable buttons to any page and change the order on each page. 880 remote is great.

OK I am pulling what little hair I have left out over this one. We had a Dish DVR 510 and we upgraded today to VIP722. OK the transition is unbelievable, but I am having trouble programming my Harmony 880 for the 722. I deleted the 510 and started over. No DVR button just like the 510I tried making the remote learn the DVR button, which it did. It put it on the 1st page of soft keys as number 8 and if you go to device and DVR the DVR button is on the bottom right of the display and pushing the button brings up the DVR menu no problem. OK well I tried mapping the DVR button to both the + and enter keys to no avail. I changed it in the setup, but the remote will not bring up the DVR menu when I push either of those buttons. Also when in activity mode the only key on the LCD screen for the DVR is the * STAR key. Is this the default? I can't seem to figure out a way to add the DVR button to that screen. Any help would be appreciated.

#29 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:42 PM

David, are you using the Harmony software? If so, in the Additional Buttons page of the Customize Buttons section you should be able to move the soft buttons up or down on the page using the yellow arrows. And I have one soft button on the first page of each activity that uses the 622 labeled DVR that uses the DVR button I taught my Harmony One. I have another soft button labeled List that sends 2 clicks of the DVR button because I'm lazy :) I also have one labeled Cskip that has 4 clicks of the 30 second skip. I very rarely use the individual device buttons outside of an activity so I didn't bother customizing the buttons for the device.

#30 OFFLINE   fsquid

fsquid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:11 AM

I believe that I'm getting the one for Xmas so I'm glad to read that many people are having an easy time using it with the 722. I just need to find a website that has those icons.

#31 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 416 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:11 PM

David, are you using the Harmony software? If so, in the Additional Buttons page of the Customize Buttons section you should be able to move the soft buttons up or down on the page using the yellow arrows. And I have one soft button on the first page of each activity that uses the 622 labeled DVR that uses the DVR button I taught my Harmony One. I have another soft button labeled List that sends 2 clicks of the DVR button because I'm lazy :) I also have one labeled Cskip that has 4 clicks of the 30 second skip. I very rarely use the individual device buttons outside of an activity so I didn't bother customizing the buttons for the device.

Yes I am using the harmony software. So if I move DVR from 8 to 1 it will then show up on the first page? Is there a reason why it won't map to the + key? Thanks for the help!

#32 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:14 PM

Yes I am using the harmony software. So if I move DVR from 8 to 1 it will then show up on the first page? Is there a reason why it won't map to the + key? Thanks for the help!

1) You do not need to Learn DVR. It is already in the 722 device. You need to simply map that command to a button.
2) A suggestion is to map the DVR to each of the two tiny hard buttons immediately below the <, >, up, down, select group. Those buttons are so tiny as to be nearly unusable. By mapping both of them to DVR it allows you to push them as if they are one button, also the location becomes intuitive because after selecting DVR you will be using that cluster of buttons to navigate and select you viewing choice.

EDIT: I have the 890 PRO, not the 880, but as far as button arrangement they are identical.

#33 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:14 PM

Yes, you can move it up to the first page. I don't have the 880 but the software is the same. I have the Harmony One. I don't know why you can't map the DVR to the + button. You might get help with that on the Logitech forum at http://forums.logite...remote_controls or the Remote Central Harmony forum at http://www.remotecen...armony/list.cgi

#34 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:17 PM

I believe that I'm getting the one for Xmas so I'm glad to read that many people are having an easy time using it with the 722. I just need to find a website that has those icons.

Try this one http://www.iconharmo....page.IndexPage There may be others but I found this one on the Remote Central forum at http://www.remotecen...armony/list.cgi. The fellow that put this together is a frequent poster there.

#35 OFFLINE   FastNOC

FastNOC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:27 PM

iconharmony is where I got my icons for the Harmony One. It's by far the best I found on the web and the icons are superb. So is the developer who wrote the site. you select the icons you want, keep going through them and when you're done it generates a zip file and gives you the icons you chose.

I wish there was a 'view all' option, but other than the author did a great job.

#36 OFFLINE   PanamaMike

PanamaMike

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:57 PM

Which of these remotes is most Tivo Like? Meaning there are key buttons in DVR operation, such as the 30 sec. skip and menu buttons.

Also, how durable are these remotes? I'm sure it will get dropped a few times.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...