Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Possibly stupid questions from a newbie

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tyler6521

tyler6521

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 07:59 AM

I am brand new to the world of Satellite TV and I'm feeling a little lost. I just had E* installed this week, but I don't have a lot of confidence that the installer did everything he should have to get the best signal.

I have a 1000.4 dish, a ViP 612 and 222 recievers. For the most part the picture seems fine, but occasionally the picture will fade in and out.

I checked the System Info screen and there are two satellites configured, 72 and 61.5. 72. The status on this screen says error and when I check details, I have multiple signal losses every day. The signal box under 72 is red with a white x through it. 61.5 is green.

If I check the signal strength I am getting between 20 and 30 for both 72 and 61.5on a clear day.

I'm not sure if this is a real problem that I need to call support about or if this all is just normal.

Thanks for any help

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Todd Nicholson

Todd Nicholson

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:09 AM

Yes, it sounds like your dish is not aligned correctly. You should call and get someone out to realign your dish for better signal strength.

#3 OFFLINE   tyler6521

tyler6521

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:47 AM

Thank you for the reply. According to the Help on screen, they changed the way signal strength is displayed but there is no indication as to what a good signal would be.

#4 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:54 AM

Thank you for the reply. According to the Help on screen, they changed the way signal strength is displayed but there is no indication as to what a good signal would be.

Good signal should be over 50, but you should want 60's - 70's (note: don't expect these numbers as not all transponders, especially spot beams will have a usable if any signal). This only matters to you if you have a problem viewing channels from it's specific transponder.

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:07 AM

I am brand new to the world of Satellite TV and I'm feeling a little lost. I just had E* installed this week, but I don't have a lot of confidence that the installer did everything he should have to get the best signal.

I have a 1000.4 dish, a ViP 612 and 222 recievers. For the most part the picture seems fine, but occasionally the picture will fade in and out.

I checked the System Info screen and there are two satellites configured, 72 and 61.5. 72. The status on this screen says error and when I check details, I have multiple signal losses every day. The signal box under 72 is red with a white x through it. 61.5 is green.

If I check the signal strength I am getting between 20 and 30 for both 72 and 61.5on a clear day.

I'm not sure if this is a real problem that I need to call support about or if this all is just normal.

Thanks for any help

You experienced an inexperienced installer. This may only be because you have the new 1000.4 on the Eastern Arc, but harass them until you see lots of 50+ numbers on various transponders. Go to this chart and see what transponders you need a strong signal on to have good service. Insist that the field tech show you the signal strength reading on several of them on both satellites. For instance, scroll down the chart to Channel # 5160, you'll see the Green Bay locals are on 61.5° transponder 13 spotbeam 4. Scroll down to Channel # 9419 and 9420. You'll see that A&E is on 61.5° transponder 22 and TNT is on 72.7° transponder 13. These satellite transponder signals most certainly should be well over 40 and given the fact that this is supposedly "the system" you should be seeing numbers near 60. Don't let the installer key in on one transponder giving him a really high number and not check the others.

Yeah, he should have a supervisor with him until they have put in a number of these but many, many of us here know what you'll be going through. I had two troubleshooting techs leave me with a 129° dish install that every time a bird sneezed, a tree blocked the signal. I relocated it myself, but don't let them leave without a strong signal. Unlike those of us depending on 129°, your satellites are now nice and strong.

Oh, and be demanding but nice.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#6 OFFLINE   tyler6521

tyler6521

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:21 AM

Thanks Phrelin, that's really helpful. I think I should also have 77 in my list of satellites. Right now it only shows 61.5 and 72.

#7 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:32 AM

It's my understanding that nothing is being transmitted in the U.S. from there yet, although someone smarter than me may be able to tell you if there is at least something to check the dish alignment for it. You may want to follow this new thread Eastern Arc Problems and Answers as well as Explain Eastern Arc please.

#8 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:34 AM

Oh, and there is the Eastern Arc dish info.

#9 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:08 PM

There won't be anything at 77° until E-VIII makes its way over from 110° though you might be able to get signal on tp 1 from E-IV. If not, just wait for E-VIII. A dish peaked for 72.7° is supposed to also be properly aligned for 77°.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#10 OFFLINE   tyler6521

tyler6521

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 09:41 PM

Should I be able to see 77 in system info? All I can see are 61.5 and 72

#11 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:00 AM

Yes, but not now. Once 77 is 'operational', you will see it.

spam firewall