Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP622/ViP722 - L6.14 Software Experiences/Bugs Discussion

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:06 AM

Are you saying don't do a check switch during bad weather, or rather after bad weather has come through?

During. If rain fade hits at the point that it is checking for signal for a satellite, it might think you don't have a lnb for that satellite. And the net result you will lose all the channels from that satellite until you have another check switch run.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   Dr. Cool

Dr. Cool

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:57 AM

That's odd? I get the dropouts on toslink (optical) and coax, but NOT on the RCA analog audio jacks!?!?! I just tried it to be sure. Phrelin and Cool, are you sure about this?

Yes, it's very slight on RCA analog, but they were clearly there once you focus your attention. A very brief muting of the audio, almost to the limit of not being heard, but the hiccups were there. Same frequency as with TOSLINK, same random nature, not reproducible by rewinding.

#103 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Legend

• Registered
  • 222 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:03 AM

I think I have found a repeatable bug (at least for my receiver).

I have an antenna connected to my receiver to receive OTA channels. I also subscribe to my locals so I can get the guide date. When I first add the OTA channels, everything works fine for about a week. After that, my receiver starts acting flaky. I start getting signal losses on both OTA and satellite channels. Then, I get a black screen. Finally, the system spontaneously reboots. The reboot doesn't fix the problem however. The only way to fix it is to disconnect my antenna and delete my OTA locals. After that is done everything works fine.

This has happened on both my old 622 and my new 622.

#104 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:21 AM

Problems like this are known to occur when you have OTA channels that do not have good signal strengths. Weak OTA channels seem to cause problems for the receivers even when you don't watch the channel. After you add the OTA channels go back and check the signal strength of each one you added. Remove the weak ones (and any you don't really watch) and see if that makes the receiver more stable.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#105 OFFLINE   nostalgiaguru

nostalgiaguru

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:38 AM

Problems like this are known to occur when you have OTA channels that do not have good signal strengths. Weak OTA channels seem to cause problems for the receivers even when you don't watch the channel. After you add the OTA channels go back and check the signal strength of each one you added. Remove the weak ones (and any you don't really watch) and see if that makes the receiver more stable.

what % strength would you consider weak?

#106 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:22 AM

I'm not sure where problems start to occur. What is the strength on most of your channels? I would start eliminating ones that are obviously lower than the others.

Last night I was getting some signal loss errors on channels with 80+ % but I suspect something else was going on.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#107 OFFLINE   nostalgiaguru

nostalgiaguru

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:42 AM

I'm not sure where problems start to occur. What is the strength on most of your channels? I would start eliminating ones that are obviously lower than the others.

Last night I was getting some signal loss errors on channels with 80+ % but I suspect something else was going on.

The only channel that's on the antenna side of my house comes in at 95-100%. All the rest hover around 70%. All of the corresponding subscribed channels get the video drops and black screens; in fact, if I recall correctly, the strongest OTA channel ironically shows the most drops in its subscribed version.

#108 OFFLINE   langlin

langlin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 369 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:18 PM

I have a broadband setup on both a VIP622 and a VIP612 and it has been stable for about 8 months until L614 on my 622. The 622 now will lose the connection and when I add it back the 622 will spontaneously reboot over and over until the broadband connection is lost then it runs reliable again until I add the broadband back at which time the reboot starts again. I haven't seen this posted so it may be just my receiver but it is repeatable so I am reporting it. The VIP612 stays solid.
Sending pictures through the air is impossible, Television will never work!

Leon
Dish VIP722K
SW L6.62 Sat 1000 and 500 61.5/110/119/129
AbsoluteHD
Monitor Toshiba TW65x81 Component and Samsung HL-T7288W
Other Dish VIP612 SW L6.09

#109 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:17 PM

Chuck,

Is this a "Known Issue" that's verified by tech support as being a KPI (known product issue or defect), or one that's just been reported or seen by other posters to this group? It would be helpful to know what the official KPI list contains (maybe help some of us stop pulling our hair out).
Thanks!!!!
The Cable and Satellite TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating its customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it, garnering them the distinction of "Most Universally Despised" of all PAY-TV providers in the industry.

#110 OFFLINE   gemdc

gemdc

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:28 PM

I have a 622 and a 722 which have both been running fine for several months. On 8 Oct I started having recording problems with the 722. It would show correct time recorded, but when you start the program it jumps directly to "done".

Also, in this failure mode it would not record live TV (could not backspace live TV).

Running 6.14 software. Reboot seemed to fix it. Failed again next day.

So, I assumed a failing 722 and moved all my recordings to the 622 (also on 6.14 software) in the next room. Tonight, started to watch a program recorded last night and the 622 did exactly the same thing. Not actually recording, no live TV being recorded, jump directly to "done" when you start one of the recent recordings. Older programs play fine.

Since this problem is on two systems, it looks like a strange bug in the software rather than a dual hardware failure. Guess I will phone Dish and devote an hour to see if the CSR's have an idea about this.

Anyone having anything like this?

#111 OFFLINE   cspinelive

cspinelive

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:58 PM

I've been having a lot of problems with this new version (6.14) as well as 6.13 . I've had a 622 for at least 2 years now and I am certain all these problems are new.
In not particular order:

-OTA conflicts don't seem to be resolved correctly, for example today my dvr claims it is going to record Bones and Knight Rider at the same exact time using the OTA which unless something changed, can only record one show.

Is anyone else seeing these problems?

--Carlos

I can confirm this one...

I've got a 622. I get HD locals via OTA. I get SD locals via DISH. I set up several dishpasses to record all new showings of my favorite primetime shows with a preference for HD. I do this so that if three shows are all showing in the same time slot, they will all be recorded with the highest priority one being recorded in HD via OTA and the other two being recorded in SD on TV1 and TV2. My problem is that the schedule routinely shows two OTA shows on different channels are scheduled to be recording at the same time on OTA. When it comes time for them to be recorded, one will be recorded and the other will show lots of signal loss errors in the schedule history. I also got 30 1 minute recordings of the failed show in my DVR library. Anyone else seeing anything like this? If there's no solution for this maybe ditching dishpass and seting up two timers for each show will acomplish the same result? One in HD and one in SD with all the HD timers having a higher priority than the SD timers.

#112 OFFLINE   gemdc

gemdc

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:31 PM

After a bit more research, I find that it is only my local HD (NBC, Channel 4, Oklahoma City) that is failing on both recorders. Can't record from it. Does not record on live TV. Programs are just empty but log correct amount of time.

Works fine on ABC and CBS.

Also works fine when I go to my OTA of NBC. Same station will record but not the satellite feed.

Both the 722 and 622 show same problem so must be the HD feed. Have they invented a "can't record" method?

#113 OFFLINE   Superabound

Superabound

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:20 AM

After a bit more research, I find that it is only my local HD (NBC, Channel 4, Oklahoma City) that is failing on both recorders. Can't record from it. Does not record on live TV. Programs are just empty but log correct amount of time.

Works fine on ABC and CBS.

Also works fine when I go to my OTA of NBC. Same station will record but not the satellite feed.

Both the 722 and 622 show same problem so must be the HD feed. Have they invented a "can't record" method?

I posted about this in another thread <it won't let me post the link because I'm too new, it's the "722 won't record two HD channels " thread>

I am in Stillwater and I am having the same problem, but for me it is only HD NBC and Fox (just in time for the playoffs) that are not recording or pausing. Please post if you figure out the problem. I'll do the same.

#114 OFFLINE   snappingturtle

snappingturtle

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:21 AM

I have a broadband setup on both a VIP622 and a VIP612 and it has been stable for about 8 months until L614 on my 622. The 622 now will lose the connection and when I add it back the 622 will spontaneously reboot over and over until the broadband connection is lost then it runs reliable again until I add the broadband back at which time the reboot starts again. I haven't seen this posted so it may be just my receiver but it is repeatable so I am reporting it. The VIP612 stays solid.

I just saw a popup on my 722 screen this morning warning me about possible charges if I don't connect a phone line or broadband connection. As I have no phone line, I use broadband. It has worked flawlessly until L614 on my 722. I went to diagnostics and it says "Broadband Connection FAILURE". I can ping the 722 from other computers on my network. I went to configuration, reset the network connection and it gets an ip address but it says "Status: Not Connected". I just rebooted the 722, but that didn't help. My ISP is working fine. No problems.

I am not seeing continuous reboots though. "Broadband" just seems to be broken.

More bugs. What a pain.

#115 OFFLINE   casolorz

casolorz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:28 AM

When will a new version come out?

I just found another recording problem with OTA.

I had The Office set to record yesterday, and the SNL Thursday update. Thankfully I setup two timers for SNL, one as OTA and one not as OTA (OTA always as a higher priority). The OTA one refused to record because of The Office. I have The Office set to run long but the shows are on the same channel. I could swear my dvr didn't use to have a problem with that! am I just crazy?

I also had "How I met your mother" fail to record for the second week straight even though the timer claimed it was going to record.

I am really getting sick of this, I've had this dvr for almost 2 years and never had problems until 6.13 and 6.14.

--Carlos

#116 OFFLINE   bbomar

bbomar

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:00 AM

When will a new version come out?

I just found another recording problem with OTA.

I had The Office set to record yesterday, and the SNL Thursday update. Thankfully I setup two timers for SNL, one as OTA and one not as OTA (OTA always as a higher priority). The OTA one refused to record because of The Office. I have The Office set to run long but the shows are on the same channel. I could swear my dvr didn't use to have a problem with that! am I just crazy?

I also had "How I met your mother" fail to record for the second week straight even though the timer claimed it was going to record.

I am really getting sick of this, I've had this dvr for almost 2 years and never had problems until 6.13 and 6.14.

--Carlos

L614 has OTA timer issues with 622 and 722 receivers. They have been discussed in the following 612 thread since they are similar to 612 timer issues:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=139720

#117 OFFLINE   snappingturtle

snappingturtle

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:41 AM

I just saw a popup on my 722 screen this morning warning me about possible charges if I don't connect a phone line or broadband connection. As I have no phone line, I use broadband. It has worked flawlessly until L614 on my 722. I went to diagnostics and it says "Broadband Connection FAILURE". I can ping the 722 from other computers on my network. I went to configuration, reset the network connection and it gets an ip address but it says "Status: Not Connected". I just rebooted the 722, but that didn't help. My ISP is working fine. No problems.

I am not seeing continuous reboots though. "Broadband" just seems to be broken.

More bugs. What a pain.

I reported the problem with Dish and they confirmed a problem. The said a fix would come soon.

#118 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 03:40 PM

I reported the problem with Dish and they confirmed a problem. The said a fix would come soon.

Now if they would just tell the CRS.

#119 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:20 AM

I was for a while getting brief black flashes and it seems to have gone away recently (Have not seen it for at least two weeks). Others reported similar issues. Is anyone still having them with some frequency?
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#120 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:15 PM

I was for a while getting brief black flashes and it seems to have gone away recently (Have not seen it for at least two weeks). Others reported similar issues. Is anyone still having them with some frequency?

I'm getting them but I think they're related to the station and not the 622.
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...