Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Easy EHD question: FAT32 or NTFS?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   shortspark

shortspark

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:17 AM

I have a 500gb WD Essentials EHD that is currently formatted to NTFS. It came as FAT32 but I reformatted it to NTFS because I was thinking of using it as a PC backup. Can someone tell me what my 622 will format this drive to if I decide to use it as a program archive and about how long it takes for the 622 to reformat if it needs to go back to FAT32? The EHD is currently empty.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:36 AM

I have a 500gb WD Essentials EHD that is currently formatted to NTFS. It came as FAT32 but I reformatted it to NTFS because I was thinking of using it as a PC backup. Can someone tell me what my 622 will format this drive to if I decide to use it as a program archive and about how long it takes for the 622 to reformat if it needs to go back to FAT32? The EHD is currently empty.

It will reformat it. I don't think anyone officially has said what the format is but it is not FAT32 or NTFS.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#3 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:06 AM

It will reformat it. I don't think anyone officially has said what the format is but it is not FAT32 or NTFS.

And, it's pretty quick.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#4 OFFLINE   EXTACAMO

EXTACAMO

Godfather

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:09 AM

It will be formatted with some flavor of Linux. I believe.

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,553 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:24 AM

It is formatted using Linux ext3. It normally takes a few minutes for the drive to be formatted and the encryption info to be put in place. If you're seeking more information you can read the posts on this Yahoo Group.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#6 OFFLINE   shortspark

shortspark

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:59 PM

Thanks to all for the responses. The reason I asked was that perhaps I could reformat the thing faster on my PC if I knew what format was used by DISH. On second thought, maybe not since it took nearly three hours to reformat it the first time from Fat32 to NTFS.

#7 OFFLINE   TheGrove

TheGrove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:16 PM

Thanks to all for the responses. The reason I asked was that perhaps I could reformat the thing faster on my PC if I knew what format was used by DISH. On second thought, maybe not since it took nearly three hours to reformat it the first time from Fat32 to NTFS.

Fortunatly/unfortunatly it won't matter if you format it or not. As soon as you hook it up to DISH it will format it no matter what.
2 Hoppers (2 - 2TB EHD)
1 Joey

#8 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,553 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:35 PM

On second thought, maybe not since it took nearly three hours to reformat it the first time from Fat32 to NTFS.

Yeah, I had to do that to four drives last Christmas. What a drag.

#9 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 08:34 AM

Yeah, I had to do that to four drives last Christmas. What a drag.

Reformatting shouldn't really be slow. Conversion (saving the data) is slow. The more data the slower it is.

As stated the reformat to DISH to whatever format it is (linux ext3 apparently) is fairly fast and always done the first time a drive is attached to one of your receivers. Assuming household key you can then switch it between your various receivers.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#10 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,553 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 11:40 AM

Reformatting shouldn't really be slow. Conversion (saving the data) is slow. The more data the slower it is.

As stated the reformat to DISH to whatever format it is (linux ext3 apparently) is fairly fast and always done the first time a drive is attached to one of your receivers. Assuming household key you can then switch it between your various receivers.

The Dish reformat isn't slow. But I reformatted four empty USB drives from FAT32 to NTFS to put family pictures and movies on to give to family members at Christmas. Man was that reformatting a slow process.:eek2:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#11 OFFLINE   shortspark

shortspark

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 02:49 PM

Does anyone know what will happen regarding this reformatting by the dish dvr with partitions on the EHD? Will the whole drive be reformated?

#12 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,553 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 02:59 PM

DWill the whole drive be reformated?

Yes.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...