Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Signal from HD Dish, but no channels come in

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   eddieb

eddieb

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:39 PM

I switched one of my HD boxes from a standard 3 lnb dish to the new Slimline HD dish. Signal strength shows around 94%, but I get NO CHANNELS!!! Get the good old 771 error on everything. Yes, I have the B Filter thingy between the box and the cable and yes I changed the box setup to look for a 5 lnb dish.

Now although I do get a signal, it's only on Sat 101. No 110, 119 or any of the others. And I only get the signal on the odd # transponders on that Sat 101.

This dish works OK with other boxes. I reset the receiver and did the thing online that sends a signal to the box to re-validate the channels it should get.

Any clues as to what my problem might be? The Slimline dish has 4 possible lines going into it and I'm using the third. Any way the lines going into it are configured wrong somehow?

This is very frustrating! Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:50 PM

with only 101 odd TPs, this means that receiver is only sending 13 volts to the disk. The even TPs need 18 volts and the 110 & 119 need 13/18 volts and a 22 KHz tone.
"Sounds like" the cable may be bad.
Next would be to try one of the other outputs on the dish. They're all the same, so it shouldn't matter which you use, unless one is bad.
You can also remove the BBC(s) for the 101/110/119 SAT tests as they aren't needed except for the 99/103
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   eddieb

eddieb

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:03 PM

with only 101 odd TPs, this means that receiver is only sending 13 volts to the disk. The even TPs need 18 volts and the 110 & 119 need 13/18 volts and a 22 KHz tone.
"Sounds like" the cable may be bad.
Next would be to try one of the other outputs on the dish. They're all the same, so it shouldn't matter which you use, unless one is bad.
You can also remove the BBC(s) for the 101/110/119 SAT tests as they aren't needed except for the 99/103

But I get the even TPs on the 101 Sat with the 3 lnb dish. Is the 18 volt requirement for the even TPs only needed if it's going to the Slimline dish?

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:29 PM

But I get the even TPs on the 101 Sat with the 3 lnb dish. Is the 18 volt requirement for the even TPs only needed if it's going to the Slimline dish?

Both the Phase III and Slimline dishes use the same "control" voltages/tones.
If you've swapped back to the Phase III and have good TPs, then it sounds like the Slimline/or output, but if it "worked before" and doesn't now, then cable end you connected may now be bad.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:34 PM

on the old 3 lnb dish; did you have a 4x4 or other multiswitch in line?

If you did the old switch is the cause of your issue. remove the old switch and run a line straight from the LNB outputs on the new KA/KU dish to the new satellite receiver.

If you need more outputs then the 4 incorporated in the LNB itself; you will need to add the up-to-date released zinwell 6x8 multiswitch (which as indicated by the description gives you 8 outputs in lue of the origional 4)....

#6 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,981 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:36 PM

If you are only seeing 101 transponders, I wonder if the dish is pointed correctly. The 3 LNB dish points at 110 and the 5 LNB should point to 101, so it will be looking further to the east.

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:56 PM

I do would bet that he's pointing the dish at 110 instead of 101.

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:46 PM

I do would bet that he's pointing the dish at 110 instead of 101.

While it is easy to do, the TPs would be the even ones and not the odd ones that the op is getting.
A.K.A VOS

#9 ONLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,109 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:06 PM

While it is easy to do, the TPs would be the even ones and not the odd ones that the op is getting.

I think there's one of the other satellites, a non-DirecTV one, that gives you all the odd TPs as I remember.

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 01:05 AM

I think there's one of the other satellites, a non-DirecTV one, that gives you all the odd TPs as I remember.

Well at 110 is Dish, but the last time I had my dish pointed at 110 and "set for 101", I just got the three even TPs showing up on 101.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...