Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need help realigning dish in Houston area

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   monetnj

monetnj

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:47 PM

Post-Ike, my transponder readings on 99© and 103© range from 29 to about 50. My other sat readings are mid-80s all the way up to 100 on the odd transponder or two. I assume this means that my dish was blown only slightly out of alignment. I would fix this myself except that my 16 foot ladder is not nearly tall enough to get up to the edge of my second story roof where my dish sits. I called D* and their system can't give me a date to send anybody out. I still get channels, so I am better off than most, but I'm afraid that the slightest bit of bad weather will knock them out. D* says call them back in a week. Besides sitting tight and waiting for dates to open up at D*, does anybody have any advice on alternatives?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   2dogz

2dogz

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:29 PM

You could try calling around your area for home theater shops and see if they have anyone available. Probably dish mount foot is loose due to high winds. Just tightening things up might help a lot as temporary fix. But you'll need more for a permanent fix (monopoles or reinforced mount point). Could be roof damage, too, and this you want to know.

Other than that, buy a taller ladder.:)

Directv since 1997
2x HR21-100 2x HR22-100 1x HR20-700R
Sony Sat T60 Tivo Still Truckin'
AU9 WB616 OTA: Channel Master CM4221

#3 OFFLINE   Johnnie5000

Johnnie5000

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:31 PM

Can you get to your dish? If so take a 1/2" wrench and go DIY on it. Just do a quick search of this site for slimline allignment.
EDIT: nevermind, you said you can't get to the dish. Borrow a tall ladder from a friend maybe?

#4 OFFLINE   Supervolcano

Supervolcano

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:33 PM

Maybe try borrowing a taller ladder from a neighbor?

Maybe PRAY that an installer in Houston reads this thread and offers you their services?

Maybe check the telephone book for an installer (but you'll probably have to pay for it)?
http://www.yellowboo...here=houston tx

Who knows, if you find a 3rd party to fix it for you, maybe (BIG MAYBE) DirecTV can help offset the cost if you VERY NICELY discuss it with the install department. Once you find someone to do it and get an estimated price, immediately call DirecTV and see what they say.
Click Here to See my Equipment and SWM8 Configuration.
Click Here for My Theories on why we have no shouldn't have DLB yet.
Click Here to Review cbaker's "Long Term (Multiple CE) Bug List".

#5 OFFLINE   monetnj

monetnj

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 10:16 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. My dish does have monopoles and I don't see any roof damage. It also seems a ladder tall enough to reach would cost more than paying someone. I think I might just sit tight and pray for good weather.

#6 OFFLINE   monetnj

monetnj

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:04 PM

Thought some of you might be interested in how I resolved my problem, especially if you live in the Houston area. Walked into the offices of All-Tech, a certified D* dealer in Sugar Land, and to my surprise they informed me that they could send a tech out either same day or next day for the standard $80 trip charge. Called D* and they agreed to credit me the $80 considering they would have to pay a tech that amount to realign my dish anyway. Tech came out today in the promised time frame and now my signal strength is actually higher than it was before Ike. Very impressive customer service, both by All-Tech and by D*. I'm a happy customer.

#7 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:06 AM

Thought some of you might be interested in how I resolved my problem, especially if you live in the Houston area. Walked into the offices of All-Tech, a certified D* dealer in Sugar Land, and to my surprise they informed me that they could send a tech out either same day or next day for the standard $80 trip charge. Called D* and they agreed to credit me the $80 considering they would have to pay a tech that amount to realign my dish anyway. Tech came out today in the promised time frame and now my signal strength is actually higher than it was before Ike. Very impressive customer service, both by All-Tech and by D*. I'm a happy customer.

Nice!! Congrats!

spam firewall