Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

COMCAST BLACKS OUT TBS BRAVES GAMES

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   miknis

miknis

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 12:56 PM

Ive noticed this past weekend, when I was trying to watch the Braves-Mets games on WTBS, my cable company (Comcast) has blacked these games out, I was always able to watch the Braves games, even if the Phillies were playing at the same time, I must admit, I was watching it to see the Mets, but does anyone know anything about this new Comcast Cable blackout of Braves games? I live in the Philadelphia area, and I'm really PISSED!!!!
On the highway of life, there is nobody driving along with you, to tell you, you are making a wrong turn.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 01:36 PM

Do you have the MLB Extra Innings package on Comcast Digital Cable? If you do they might have shown the game on the New York Regional Sports Channel where Mets games are broadcast. They are on either MSG Network, Fox Sports Net New York, or on WB 11 which you would only be able to see if you lived in New York. This is strange that they would Black Out TBS because that channel is supposed to be National. I have Direc TV and I am in the Braves Home Market for Broadcasts. I Will receive every Braves game on TBS, Turner South, Or on Wednsday Nights Fox Sports Net South. I would not however be able to receive the New York Television Feed of the game because of this. Only Atlanta's Feed.

#3 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 11:10 AM

All Mets Saturday and Sunday games are on WB11 not on an RSN.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#4 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 02:25 PM

This is true. WB 11 Is not a Regional sports network. The only way you'd be able to see a game broadcasted on this channel would be if you lived in New York. Most Mets Games through the week are on either Fox Sports Net New York, or MSG Network.

#5 OFFLINE   Pete K.

Pete K.

Icon

• Registered
  • 776 posts

Posted 29 May 2003 - 06:50 AM

If you are an E* Superstation subscriber
you can watch the Mets on WB 11 anywhere
in the country. I've never seen a Mets
game blacked out, even when they play
the Braves and I live a one hour drive
from Turner Field.
It is strange that TBS would be blacked out
in Philly.

#6 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 29 May 2003 - 07:53 AM

This happened to me here in Baltimore.

Because I live within the protected range of the Orioles, DirecTV was forced to blackout the game when the Braves played at Oriole Park.

It is the only time a superstation blackout works. If you live within some distance (I believe it is 35 miles) from the park, and a superstation will be televising a game, the superstation can be blacked out.

Hence, the Phillies are blacked out on TBS only when

a) the Braves are playing at the Phillies
B) you live within the 35 mile radius
c) the Phillies request the blackout

#7 OFFLINE   jrbdmb

jrbdmb

Icon

• Registered
  • 731 posts

Posted 29 May 2003 - 11:25 AM

Originally posted by Greg Bimson

Hence, the Phillies are blacked out on TBS only when

a) the Braves are playing at the Phillies
B) you live within the 35 mile radius
c) the Phillies request the blackout

And of course they request the backout since the local Philly RSN (Comcast Sportsnet) is not available on satellite and Comcast wants you to get their cable service to watch the Phillies. Phooey.

#8 OFFLINE   miknis

miknis

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 May 2003 - 01:26 PM

Now I found out, the Braves were playing the Mets on this particular occasion, the Superstation (TBS) use to black out if the Braves were playing any team that was within a 90 mile radius or less, I use to get the Braves-Mets, because I live in the Philly area. As of a few weeks ago the blackout mileage was extended to 100 miles, thus that extra 10 miles, is now my source of aggravation, because I follow the Mets, and the games that are not on my MLBEI
On the highway of life, there is nobody driving along with you, to tell you, you are making a wrong turn.

#9 OFFLINE   shy007

shy007

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 29 May 2003 - 02:13 PM

My closest team is the Braves (220 miles)...... I guess I don't have that problem.....

Go Braves!!!!!!!!

#10 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 29 May 2003 - 11:13 PM

Braves are my favorite team as well. They have done very well the last several years. They seem to be the league leader quite often.

#11 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,360 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 05 June 2003 - 06:57 PM

Hard to believe that the Braves have had a longer run than the Big Red Machine of years gone by.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

Protected By... spam firewall...And...