Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

External Hard Drive with HR21-700?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   intershift

intershift

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 10:53 PM

Hi, nice to meet all of you guys here! :) I just got my HR21 but was surprised how fast the recordings fill up!

I've searched around the forum, but I am wondering what the working Hard Drives would be for HR21-700? I've seen some setups for HR21-100 but I don't know if it's compatible with mine also. I am currently looking at Cavalry 1TB Dual Interface USB 2.0 & eSATA External Hard Drive - CAXE3701T0

Would this work?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   STEVEN-H

STEVEN-H

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 615 posts
  • Location40241

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:33 AM

Hi, nice to meet all of you guys here! :) I just got my HR21 but was surprised how fast the recordings fill up!

I've searched around the forum, but I am wondering what the working Hard Drives would be for HR21-700? I've seen some setups for HR21-100 but I don't know if it's compatible with mine also. I am currently looking at Cavalry 1TB Dual Interface USB 2.0 & eSATA External Hard Drive - CAXE3701T0

Would this work?

Works fine on my HR21-100. No problems at all other than the light on the Cavalry being very bright. Mine now has a piece of electrical tape over it.
HR24-500 AM-21
HR24-200 AM-21
Direct TV Slimline-5S (SWM) DECA
Direct TV since 6/23/96.

#3 OFFLINE   CorkyMuldoon

CorkyMuldoon

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 288 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:47 AM

...I am currently looking at Cavalry 1TB Dual Interface USB 2.0 & eSATA External Hard Drive - CAXE3701T0

Would this work?

That's the eSATA drive I use. No problems to report, although that bright blue light can be a tad annoying.:lol:

Oh - and :welcome_s

#4 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,630 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:37 AM

Would this work?

I use the CAX 750s and I would think any of the Cavalrys with a prefix of CAX will work. Do NOT get one of the Cavalrys in the RAID enclosures. They will not work with the 21s. They do work well with the 20-700s tho. I have two 2TB Cavalrys in the RAID enclosures set to the "big" mode which gives me the full 2TBs of recording space. The 21s are really finicky about the eSATAs. I think the best eSATAs out there are the Seagates, but they won't work with the 21s either.

Rich

#5 OFFLINE   intershift

intershift

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:47 PM

Thanks for all of your feedbacks. I will order this today and report back here with results/findings. :)

#6 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 810 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:56 PM

WD 1T Green Power drive in an Antex MX-1 enclosure. Been running for about a month and I haven't had any issues.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#7 OFFLINE   ryno2292

ryno2292

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 12:21 PM

WD 1T Green Power drive in an Antex MX-1 enclosure. Been running for about a month and I haven't had any issues.

Same thing I have hooked up to my HR21-700, with no problems. I think the enclosure and drive cost me a little over $200 about two months ago.

#8 OFFLINE   intershift

intershift

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:22 PM

Thanks for all your feedbacks. I've just intalled it and it works right out of the box. :hurah: Total price? $150 including rebate at Buy.com for 1TB eSATA.

This will give some breathing room for sure. :D

#9 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,630 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:46 PM

Thanks for all your feedbacks. I've just intalled it and it works right out of the box. :hurah: Total price? $150 including rebate at Buy.com for 1TB eSATA.

This will give some breathing room for sure. :D

So you got the 1TB Cavalry?

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   outlineguy

outlineguy

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:52 PM

Would this work?

Hi.... I'm in the same boat. This is just the thread I was hoping to find.

Now I'm pretty low-tech, so bear with me.

I just got an HR21-700. A tech guy told me I can go ahead and buy a Sata external drive and hook it up and I'd be good to go. No formatting needed, correct?

I believe he told me that recordings would be stored on the external drive at first and if and when it fills up, recordings would then begin on the internal drive.

Now, I already have some recordings on the internal drive that I haven't watched yet. Can I go ahead and hook up the external drive now? Will I still have my previous recordings?

Do things just go on business as usual but with greatly expanded capacity?

How do I know how much recording capacity I have with the external drive attached? Does the progress bar take the external drive into account?

Sorry for all the questions.... I appreciate the help !!

#11 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:58 PM

A list of drives: http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=92029

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#12 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,630 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:28 AM

Hi.... I'm in the same boat. This is just the thread I was hoping to find.

Now I'm pretty low-tech, so bear with me.

I just got an HR21-700. A tech guy told me I can go ahead and buy a Sata external drive and hook it up and I'd be good to go. No formatting needed, correct?

Correct.

I believe he told me that recordings would be stored on the external drive at first and if and when it fills up, recordings would then begin on the internal drive.

Wrong. The internal drive doesn't do anything when an eSATA is hooked up. If you fill up the eSATA it will NOT start to record on the internal drive.

Now, I already have some recordings on the internal drive that I haven't watched yet. Can I go ahead and hook up the external drive now? Will I still have my previous recordings?

Yes, but you will have to disconnect or turn off the eSATA and reboot the HR to access the internal drive's recordings.

Do things just go on business as usual but with greatly expanded capacity?

Aside from having to set up new Series Links, yes.

How do I know how much recording capacity I have with the external drive attached? Does the progress bar take the external drive into account?

The Progress Bar will monitor the usage of the eSATA drive when it is active, just as it does with the internal when the eSATA is inactive.

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   boxster99t

boxster99t

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:48 AM

Works fine on my HR21-100. No problems at all other than the light on the Cavalry being very bright. Mine now has a piece of electrical tape over it.

+1, and I also put electrical tape over the blue light.

Buy.com has a pretty good price on the antec MX-1 enclosure ($29 last week if it hasn't gone back up), if you want to pick your own SATA hard drive. I bought one for future use--waiting until I need the capacity or 1 TB drives go below the $100 mark whichever comes first.

#14 OFFLINE   CooperTwo

CooperTwo

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:40 PM

So if I buy this:

Cavalry 1TB Dual Interface USB 2.0 & eSATA External Hard Drive - CAXE3701T0

and I have the HR21-700, I'll be ok?

#15 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,630 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:03 PM

So if I buy this:

Cavalry 1TB Dual Interface USB 2.0 & eSATA External Hard Drive - CAXE3701T0

and I have the HR21-700, I'll be ok?

Just make sure you purchase it from a retailer that has a decent return policy. You have the "good" HR and I have had no problems with the new crop of eSATAs starting with the CAX prefix in the model number. I have never tried the 1TB, but I do have several 750 Cavs and two 2TB Cavs that are all working perfectly. And you get an eSATA jumper cable with each Cav.

Rich

#16 OFFLINE   CooperTwo

CooperTwo

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:14 PM

Thanks Rich.

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets

#17 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,630 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 October 2008 - 12:30 PM

Thanks Rich.

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets

You're very welcome. You know, I pick the Jets to win the Super Bowl every year and I appreciate your vote of confidence.

Rich

#18 OFFLINE   outlineguy

outlineguy

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 05:00 PM

Okay, I am so frustrated I'm ready to throw the whole thing out my window.

I have a Direct HR21-700. I bought a Western Digital 1 TB External Hard Drive to hook up. I plugged it in to the USB port with the included cable and it does not work.

From reading these boards and trying to understand as best I can, I thought I needed a USB to sata cable to connect the external drive to the DVR through the esata port on the DVR. I went to four different stores and nobody ever heard of such a cable.

The guy at Fry's sold me an enclosure case which he said is what I need. I understand the concept but I can't get the external drive out of its case to get it into the enclosure case. The external drive case appears to be sealed.

Where am I going wrong????

Please bear in mind that I am NOT an engineer. Please keep it simple.

#19 OFFLINE   russdog

russdog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 08:04 PM

Okay, I am so frustrated I'm ready to throw the whole thing out my window.

I have a Direct HR21-700. I bought a Western Digital 1 TB External Hard Drive to hook up. I plugged it in to the USB port with the included cable and it does not work.

From reading these boards and trying to understand as best I can, I thought I needed a USB to sata cable to connect the external drive to the DVR through the esata port on the DVR. I went to four different stores and nobody ever heard of such a cable.

The guy at Fry's sold me an enclosure case which he said is what I need. I understand the concept but I can't get the external drive out of its case to get it into the enclosure case. The external drive case appears to be sealed.

Where am I going wrong????

Please bear in mind that I am NOT an engineer. Please keep it simple.

I don't know what you read, but nobody around here said to use the USB port.
That won't work. You need to use an eSATA cable to connect the HR to an eSATA drive.

I don't know what WD drive you got, but you want a "bare" drive, one that does not come inside a case.
The enclosure you want to put the drive in is an Antec MX-1, which comes with the necessary cable.

There is detailed info about HR21's an external drives here:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=142735

#20 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,630 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:57 AM

I don't know what you read, but nobody around here said to use the USB port.
That won't work. You need to use an eSATA cable to connect the HR to an eSATA drive.

I don't know what WD drive you got, but you want a "bare" drive, one that does not come inside a case.
The enclosure you want to put the drive in is an Antec MX-1, which comes with the necessary cable.

There is detailed info about HR21's an external drives here:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=142735

Russ, if that eSATA he bought is a MyBook, it is not gonna work with ANY DVR. And I've seen some reviews about the WD DVR Expander and they don't seem to work with TiVos. Haven't seen any reviews about them working or not working with HRs, tho. Disappointing.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...