Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Scores Continuous at Bottom of Screen for ESPN and ESPN 2 Games

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 02:10 PM

Is anyone else tired of These Continuous scores being shown at the Bottom of the screen by ESPN? With any game broadcast now by ESPN they have scores of other games continuous at the bottom. I also noticed that During Atlanta Braves games on TBS they show scores of other games at the start of EVERY half Inning. I am getting so Tired of this. I don't mind if the screen gets smaller every once in a while during a game to show scores of other games like they used to do. But God PLEASE Stop doing this ESPN. I don't like it I like the way the Fox Sports Net Regionals air games better. The Score at the top of the screen of that game going on is fine. But Do we continuosly have to know the scores of other contests? ESPN 2 Started this Coninuous Score Showing with there "Bottom Line" and now I noticed recently ESPN's regular channel is doing this more and more. What Gives with this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   John Corn

John Corn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 05:59 PM

It's supposed to be for the sports fan 'on the go' or for the fantasy sports fan.

I like it though, because I'm just a big baseball fan and I like seeing the scores for other teams.
Have a Great Day! :) :flag:

#3 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 10:13 PM

Originally posted by John Corn
It's supposed to be for the sports fan 'on the go' or for the fantasy sports fan.

I like it though, because I'm just a big baseball fan and I like seeing the scores for other teams.

As well as checking the score during those E* Cleveland Indian Blackout games......:D
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#4 OFFLINE   John Corn

John Corn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 04:49 AM

:lol:......I really didn't want to mention that, but your right.
Have a Great Day! :) :flag:

#5 OFFLINE   shy007

shy007

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 05:26 AM

I thought the scores at the bottom were kinda tacky myself. You can turn it to ESPNEWS anytime you want or go to computer. I guess if one does it, they all will do it. I guess we have no say in the matter.

#6 OFFLINE   Ryan

Ryan

Icon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 06:54 AM

These things should be part of a closed captioning-like capability of the broadcasts and receiving equipment. That way, you can turn it on if you want, or leave it off.

It seems that a move to digital technology would allow for such capabilities. This is why TV is behind the curve technologically, and fears advances like PVRs. We're all supposed to be grateful with whatever they beam to us, and have no control over it. They control the horizontal, they control the vertical, they control the bottom line.

#7 OFFLINE   bills976

bills976

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 11:28 AM

Ryan-

Current technology does allow for the "bottom line" scoreboard to be hidden. ESPN and Wink interactive have a software application which runs on all D* wink enabled receivers that allows users to look at updated scores, news, etc WITHOUT leaving ESPN(2). Unlike Dish's pitiful excuse for an interactive app, this one is actually up to date.
Living Room: HR20-700 connected to a 52" Sony KDL-52Z5100
OTA: Radio Shack 15-2187 diplexed over SWM with Channel Master diplexers
Dish: CalAmp Slimline w/ WNC SWMline LNB
Spare receiver gathering dust: Phillips DSR-704

Protected By... spam firewall...And...