Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What to do in this situation? Apartment Install.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Brewhaha

Brewhaha

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 02:42 PM

I posted awhile back about my situation, my landlord didn't seem to care where a dish went as long as it wasn't on the roof. I tried a ground install but the installers wouldn't do it. Eventually I noticed that 3 other residents had dishes installed on the overhang above the front doors. I even noticed one that was on the roof (these are two stories) with the wires going all the way to ground, didn't look good at all.

So I went ahead and let them install on the overhang which happened to have a perfect view of the southern sky. 3 weeks go by and my landlord shows up and wants me to remove the dish within 5 days because he didn't say it could go there. Before the install I asked if he would write up a letter explaining where it could go, nowhere in the letter did he say it couldn't go in certain spots. All it said was that it needs to be done in a professional manner.

Should I fight this since other residents are allowed to have a dish in the same location, 1 even has one on the roof of the building?

If I have it removed I don't think I have another location for it, and i'm locked into a 2 year contract.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kevinm34232

kevinm34232

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:04 PM

You can fight it but you may be fighting an eviction too, so you'll have to decide what is more important.

#3 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:30 PM

I posted awhile back about my situation, my landlord didn't seem to care where a dish went as long as it wasn't on the roof. I tried a ground install but the installers wouldn't do it. Eventually I noticed that 3 other residents had dishes installed on the overhang above the front doors. I even noticed one that was on the roof (these are two stories) with the wires going all the way to ground, didn't look good at all.

So I went ahead and let them install on the overhang which happened to have a perfect view of the southern sky. 3 weeks go by and my landlord shows up and wants me to remove the dish within 5 days because he didn't say it could go there. Before the install I asked if he would write up a letter explaining where it could go, nowhere in the letter did he say it couldn't go in certain spots. All it said was that it needs to be done in a professional manner.

Should I fight this since other residents are allowed to have a dish in the same location, 1 even has one on the roof of the building?

If I have it removed I don't think I have another location for it, and i'm locked into a 2 year contract.

Sounds like your screwed. You knew what was allowed and what was not and went ahead and let them.....

Typical of apartment/condo installs is you can be restricted from installing a dish in a common area or doing any damage to the building, the owner could charge you for the cost of repair. The FCC has clear cut rules avail for what you can and cant do in cases like this.

Here is the fcc info.. http://www.fcc.gov/c...nsumerdish.html

#4 OFFLINE   Brewhaha

Brewhaha

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:36 PM

I understand I was told it can't be on the roof, but my question is basically is it unfair to me that he allows some to install on the awning and not me? It's the exact same location that others in the same complex have dishes installed.

#5 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:42 PM

I understand I was told it can't be on the roof, but my question is basically is it unfair to me that he allows some to install on the awning and not me? It's the exact same location that others in the same complex have dishes installed.

Unfair, sure, its not fair, but its their property. It could be there were extenuating circumstances when those dishes were installed, such as a different more lenient owner. You could ask why you're being treated differently but they arent obligate to answer. Perhaps you can talk to one of the other residents and leech off their dish with the proper installation of a multiswitch. Just make sure you get agreement in writing from both the other resident and the manager.

#6 OFFLINE   gnahc79

gnahc79

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:18 PM

Ask your landlord nicely exactly where you can install the dish and get it in writing. Something along the lines of "Can you put this in writing so that it'll be easier for both of us and any of your future tenants?"
Video: Panasonic 42" th42ph9uk (2 component blades, 1 hdmi blade)
HR21-200 connected with blue jeans cable component cables & optical cable
Audio: Denon AVR-1602, Energy Connisseur speakers
Remote: Harmony One and an 880
MediaShare: TVersity

#7 OFFLINE   jeast

jeast

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:46 PM

I was not allowed to drill anywhere and couldn't put the dish on the roof of my complex. I'm on the second floor and ended up securing a pole with quickdry cement in a large plastic bucket. This contraption sits on my balcony and has worked very well. I'd be happy to give you more info/pictures if you're interested.

#8 OFFLINE   Brewhaha

Brewhaha

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:20 PM

I was not allowed to drill anywhere and couldn't put the dish on the roof of my complex. I'm on the second floor and ended up securing a pole with quickdry cement in a large plastic bucket. This contraption sits on my balcony and has worked very well. I'd be happy to give you more info/pictures if you're interested.

I have thought about that but my balcony faces north and I don't think they are going to let me put that next to the front door.

Anyway Directv lets me out of the contract if this doesn't work out?

spam firewall