Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DoD Bandwidth ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bllreed

bllreed

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:12 PM

Does anyone have any idea what kind of bandwidth this content is being sent to
requestors? From the posts I've seen so far it must be a pretty good pipe. Just
wondering how it may be when they start making significant volumes of HD available....

If you immediately know the candle light is fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.....ODS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gregjones

gregjones

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:27 AM

This has been discussed a number of times in a number of different threads. DirecTV is using a content hosting service for these items and seems prepared. Your mileage may vary according to your ISP.

#3 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:30 AM

I have never seen it exceed 3mbps, some have reported faster speeds. It varies.

#4 OFFLINE   gregjones

gregjones

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:36 AM

I have never seen it exceed 3mbps, some have reported faster speeds. It varies.

I have seen transfer rates above 5 Mbps, but keep in mind that depends on a lot more than DirecTV's bandwidth. Bandwidth end-to-end is dependent on the segment between DirecTV's content and you with the lowest available bandwidth. For instance, if your ISP has lousy connections out to different parts of the internet, you could have a 20Mbps downstream connection and not see anything close to even 2 Mbps. If your ISP has a number of effective links, you might be able to max out a 5 Mbps connection.

#5 OFFLINE   nino2469

nino2469

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 03:28 PM

I have seen transfer rates above 5 Mbps, but keep in mind that depends on a lot more than DirecTV's bandwidth. Bandwidth end-to-end is dependent on the segment between DirecTV's content and you with the lowest available bandwidth. For instance, if your ISP has lousy connections out to different parts of the internet, you could have a 20Mbps downstream connection and not see anything close to even 2 Mbps. If your ISP has a number of effective links, you might be able to max out a 5 Mbps connection.

how are you seeing the speeds your dvr gets?

#6 OFFLINE   gregjones

gregjones

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:15 AM

how are you seeing the speeds your dvr gets?

I have a bandwidth prioritizer that sits between my router and dsl modem. Since it sees all traffic, it can count it. Unplug everything else aside from the DVR and see the numbers fly.

#7 OFFLINE   MountainMan10

MountainMan10

Icon

• Registered
  • 606 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:00 PM

I am using dd-wrt on a Linksys 310N router to display the download speeds. I have seen the DVR peek as high as 10 megabit, but mostly it averages around 4-5 with peaks around 7 and valleys around 2.

#8 OFFLINE   mephisto

mephisto

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:56 PM

I am using dd-wrt on a Linksys 310N router to display the download speeds. I have seen the DVR peek as high as 10 megabit, but mostly it averages around 4-5 with peaks around 7 and valleys around 2.

I'm also using DD-WRT which displays a realtime bandwidth graph. Mine mostly averages around 5-6 Mbit.

#9 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:49 PM

What software do you recommend to see the network stats coming thru the router? I have a Linksys 54g router. Does that one have something on it that I can track the traffic?
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

Protected By... spam firewall...And...