Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

rv conundrum

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   1olbigjohn

1olbigjohn

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:33 PM

Hi folks, I'm new here and am not savy w/sat. lingo. But I need some answers. I have hd dvr and normal receivers (4 room service). I was given a dishnet dish (Older,but w/2 lnb's) that was on a friends place. I would like to have satelite on my rv up north. I put the dish up, ran rg6 to the sat feed on the exterier of the rv, dialed in the 119 satelite to 68 on the scale (more than at home) I get the tv guide but no audio or video, just accurate info and I can change channels but again no audio or video. I have the regular receiver up there. Do I need both cables on the dish hooked up? It is a dish pro I believe, and can I get the pic in pic then ? can I use a splitter and run into 1 cable? Any help would be greatly appreciated. It was real easy on my friends rv in bristol. ( though that was direct tv, I'm a little disappointed at the trouble w/ trying to get dishnet to come in.) Thanks again for any help. The receiver is a 322, the dish has 2 LNB's 119 degree and 110 degree ( don't know model but it's upright oval not horizontal oval like new ones) The cable I bought was cheap but still RG6 (cheap menards).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,968 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:38 PM

We can't be guessing what kind of hardware you have or we'll waste all our time guessing and not giving you the answers you need. We depend on you to help us out with the easy part.

You CANNOT use anything called a splitter.

#3 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:03 PM

Look on the back of your receiver and tell us the model number. Also, is it fair to assume that this is an active receiver that you received programming on when it was at your house?

#4 OFFLINE   1olbigjohn

1olbigjohn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:24 PM

Look on the back of your receiver and tell us the model number. Also, is it fair to assume that this is an active receiver that you received programming on when it was at your house?

322 and yes, I'm planning on bringing it back and forth. ( house and camper)

#5 OFFLINE   1olbigjohn

1olbigjohn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:26 PM

322 and yes, I'm planning on bringing it back and forth. ( house and camper)

model #.. DE07, De08

#6 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 671 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:41 PM

Even though we should'nt be guessing.........I will: It sounds like you've got an old Dish 500 w/ individual LNBs. My best guess is your going to need a SW21 switch to combine 119 w/ 110. And most important, you will need to go into the menu on the 322 an re-run 'Check switch' everytime you move from the RV to the house and back again.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,968 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:44 AM

My best guess is your going to need a SW21 switch to combine 119 w/ 110.

The 322 is not my choice for use in an RV, but if your guess is correct, I'd refit the dish with a DPP Twin LNB. Legacy equipment just isn't worth the continued hassle.

#8 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:59 AM

The 322 is not my choice for use in an RV, but if your guess is correct, I'd refit the dish with a DPP Twin LNB. Legacy equipment just isn't worth the continued hassle.

I disagree on the Legacy equipment but I agree with the suggestion that you shop for a DPP Twin LNB to replace what you have. With a DPP Twin you can use a DPP Separator to allow 1 cable to supply signal to the 322. You probably have a separator on the receiver when used at home.:)

You post no audio or video but you are getting the guide, that is impossible if you are getting the guide you must be getting video. How is the camper TV connected to the satellite receiver? Coaxial cable with the TV set to CH3?

#9 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:58 PM

For a 322, you need:

- Dish 500
- Dish Pro Plus "Twin" LNB
- 1 line from one of the two outputs on the LNB (there is also an input on the far side; don't use that)
- A DishProPlus Separator (looks like a 1-to-2 splitter) to "separate" the line from the dish to feed both tuners.
- The green "1" remote control.

Once you have this, if you need further help, let us know.

#10 OFFLINE   ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:15 PM

For a 322, you need:

- Dish 500
- Dish Pro Plus "Twin" LNB
- 1 line from one of the two outputs on the LNB (there is also an input on the far side; don't use that)
- A DishProPlus Separator (looks like a 1-to-2 splitter) to "separate" the line from the dish to feed both tuners.
- The green "1" remote control.

Once you have this, if you need further help, let us know.

This is very close to my current setup in the motorhome (except I have a 722) so it can be made to work. There may be other issues depending on your RV wiring, and how you have things hooked up. I've been through a lot of it, so I may be able to help.

But first things first, I think the LNB is the biggest issue. Once we are sure it's a Dish 500 dish with a "Dish Pro Plus" LNB, then I think we will have something to work with.

AT250, Locals, Platinum HD
Dish 500 (110 & 119) plus wing dish (61.5)
Living room: ViP612 to Yamaha receiver and JVC 42" 1080i 16:9 plasma
Bedroom: ViP612 to JVC 32" 1080i 16:9 CRT
Motorhome: ViP722, to Sharp 32" 1080i 16:9 LCD (TV1) and SD 4:3 CRT (TV2)

#11 OFFLINE   1olbigjohn

1olbigjohn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:11 PM

I disagree on the Legacy equipment but I agree with the suggestion that you shop for a DPP Twin LNB to replace what you have. With a DPP Twin you can use a DPP Separator to allow 1 cable to supply signal to the 322. You probably have a separator on the receiver when used at home.:)

You post no audio or video but you are getting the guide, that is impossible if you are getting the guide you must be getting video. How is the camper TV connected to the satellite receiver? Coaxial cable with the TV set to CH3?

Thanks to all for replies. I'm getting semi educated fast here guys. What I did was hook my cable on 119 degree LNB only, ran that to my "satelite in" connection on the outside of the rv, inside rv I hooked from sat. coax outlet, direct to tuner 1 on back of receiver. Do I need both LNB's hooked up for just one tv. (By the way, I did get time, channel, and guide. I could switch channels too but no pic and no audio)I'm assuming now that I need both LNB's hooked to both tuner inputs on back of receiver (thru seperater or 2 coax cables) to get all info. Where does someone get a seperater or LNB's? Would Dishnet be more than happy to set me up for receiver swapping, home to rv?:) Can I run just 2 coax cables in thru the rv somewhere, direct to tuner 1 and tuner 2 on receiver and have success? Radio Shack has squat for dishnet stuff. Is a seperater the same as a combiner? Thanks again to all. I know, I'm bad at this. By the way the dish has 110 degree and 119 degree LNB's. I don't know if that's what makes it a dpp twin or not. Unfortunately the dish is 100 miles north so I don't have model #'s etc.

#12 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 671 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:02 PM

This is really all you need: http://www.sadoun.co...dish_switch.htm

Connect 2 coax 'jumper' cables, 1 from each LNB (the 119 & the 110) into this SW21 switch an the single line that goes into your RV hooks up to the other side. You'll need to go into the menu of the 322 (press menu 6, 1, 1) Look for 'check switch', select it an run check. It should work just fine after that. No need to hook up the other tuner as I don't expect you'd need to view programing on TWO tvs inside your RV?!?!?

You said you could see no video or hear audio, but I'm assuming you could use/see the menu system?

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,968 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:20 PM

Do I need both LNB's hooked up for just one tv.

As each LNB receives a different satellite, yes.

(By the way, I did get time, channel, and guide. I could switch channels too but no pic and no audio)I'm assuming now that I need both LNB's hooked to both tuner inputs on back of receiver (thru seperater or 2 coax cables) to get all info.

No. You need to connect both LNBs to one tuner. It doesn't work with one satellite on one tuner and the other satellites on the other tuner.

Where does someone get a seperater or LNB's?

You can buy them online, from eBay or through a local DISH dealer.

Would Dishnet be more than happy to set me up for receiver swapping, home to rv?:)

No.

Can I run just 2 coax cables in thru the rv somewhere, direct to tuner 1 and tuner 2 on receiver and have success?

No as above.

Is a seperater the same as a combiner?

No, a splitter is the same thing as a combiner and you cannot use either of those.

BTW, the dish has 110 degree and 119 degree LNB's.

They are all marked that way. You need to know specifically what you have. If it is a DishPro Twin or a DishPro Plus twin, it will work without any extra switchgear. As I said earlier, if it is just a Twin, replace it with a DPP Twin.

Look here: http://dishuser.net/swconfig.php

#14 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,968 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:24 PM

I disagree on the Legacy equipment but I agree with the suggestion that you shop for a DPP Twin LNB to replace what you have.

Please enlighten me: what is the fascination with legacy switchgear?

#15 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:53 AM

Please enlighten me: what is the fascination with legacy switchgear?

There is no fascination with Legacy switch gear I don't think much about the Sw21 or SW64 it was the weak link . But Legacy LNBs have been much much much more reliable than DP or DPP LNBs. Especially when you look at the age of Legacy LNBs exposed to the weather.:) There was no mass recall as there was with the China built Channel Master DP Twins. There hasn't been the heat related failures or drift problems with the old reliable Legacy LNBs but age is catching up with them.

#16 OFFLINE   1olbigjohn

1olbigjohn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:32 PM

Well, this web site won't let me thank you folks individually, so I thank you all very much collectively. Rainy days and evenings in the camper are going to be much better thanks to you. Thanks again, 1olbigjohn in Minnesota. P.S. I have a VIP 722 at home. Great unit. But it seems I have to reboot (hold power button in) about once a week or so. Just mine or is this a common occurance? Also remote 2 upstairs in bedroom is real quirky for signal recognition on downstairs receiver. They sent me an atennuator, made no difference. Ideas? Oh, rabbit ears didn't work either. Anyhow going up tomarrow to attemp satelite install again. thanks again all.

#17 OFFLINE   1olbigjohn

1olbigjohn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:42 PM

This is really all you need: http://www.sadoun.co...dish_switch.htm

Connect 2 coax 'jumper' cables, 1 from each LNB (the 119 & the 110) into this SW21 switch an the single line that goes into your RV hooks up to the other side. You'll need to go into the menu of the 322 (press menu 6, 1, 1) Look for 'check switch', select it an run check. It should work just fine after that. No need to hook up the other tuner as I don't expect you'd need to view programing on TWO tvs inside your RV?!?!?

You said you could see no video or hear audio, but I'm assuming you could use/see the menu system?

yes that's correct, how does a person know what kind of LNB's are on the dish(it's definitly a dish 500 dish, unsure of LNB's)

#18 OFFLINE   1olbigjohn

1olbigjohn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:59 PM

I was just digging around in various threads and found the guy (kstuart?) that claims to have the first dishnet dish (w/pic), that's what my dish looks like. Will that old dish work w/my 322 receiver?

#19 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:57 PM

Your 322 needs both tuners connected to work correctly with the same configuration on both tuners. It won't work correctly with one tuner seeing 119 and the other seeing 110 or one side connected with a SW21 and the other with a SW21X.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...