Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Indy 500

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   John Corn

John Corn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 06:06 AM

Besides the cycling of leaders during pit stops, were there any outright passes for the lead? I can't remember any but I may be wrong. It was follow the leader most of the way. I nodded off a few times and finally ended up putting the race in my picture in picture and watched the Trans Am race from mosport on speed on one screen with the 500 on the main screen. Anyhow, good for Gil and at least it was a safe month.

Thank goodness for Tony George
The best thing that could have happened to the Indy500 and open-wheel racing in general was for Tony George to take control of the sport and HIS race. Before the IRL was formed, the Indy500 was in danger of losing its prestige and popularity. Foreign drivers, especially from Brazil, were threatening to dominate the field. Big-dollar teams with big-dollar sponsorship were diluting competition. Japanese engine manufacturers were poised to push aside American engine manufacturers. And American drivers, especially those with short-track backgrounds, were either relegated to inferior teams or were given no rides at all. Thank God Tony George stepped in to save the Indy 500 and Indycar racing from all of these ailments.
Have a Great Day! :) :flag:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   markh

markh

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 10:04 AM

Gil de Ferran made the final pass for the lead when Castroneves had to lift for traffic.

John, I think your Tony comments may be a little tongue in cheek, but I'll bite. I do agree with you.

Looks like a lot of the teams that have been with the IRL from the start won't be competetive with the big dollar teams. The exception might be the Pennzoil Panther team with Sam Hornish. He was near the front at the end until his (underpowered) Chevy engine blew. If GM gets it's act together, they will be able to win against the Toyotas and Hondas.

I wonder how teams like Hemelgarn feel about all this? They kept Tony's race alive while Tony was was negotiating with former CART teams to come back to Tony's race on Tony's terms. Now that the big dollar teams are back, is Tony doing anything to help the teams that helped him?

The whole American driver thing was a joke from the beginning. AJ Foyt was one of the biggest proponents of the whole IRL deal and then went out and hired Kenny Brack.

Tony George's only goal was to give himself more control over Indy and his own series. Thank God he has made the racing world safe for Roger Penske again. :)

spam firewall