Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Burlington, VT-Plattsburgh, NY

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,910 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:06 PM

DMA: Burlington, VT-Plattsburgh, NY
Established: 9/24/2008

DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   zeekchic

zeekchic

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:50 AM

Has anyone been able to confirm WCAX is broadcasting in HD today?? Directv database has been updated showing channel 3 HD but others could only confirm 480i broadcasting this morning!!

#3 OFFLINE   layzer

layzer

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:23 AM

WCAX IS NOW BROADCASTING IN 1080i

#4 OFFLINE   HDinVT

HDinVT

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 217 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:26 AM

I've noted several occurances of audio drop out on this local HD channel(3 - WCAX - CBS). Video signal is fine, but audio will drop for several seconds. Rewind/replay and it still occurs. Noticed on CSI, 11th Hr, Unit, and NCIS.

Anyone else observing this symptom ?
Subscriber Since: June 1998
HR20-700 [eSATA - 1TB WD in an Thermaltake Max 5 enclosure] & HR21-100 [1TB internal HD]
AU9S with SL3-SWM -> PI -> SWS-4 splitter

#5 OFFLINE   toadleyb

toadleyb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:26 PM

I've noted several occurances of audio drop out on this local HD channel(3 - WCAX - CBS). Video signal is fine, but audio will drop for several seconds. Rewind/replay and it still occurs. Noticed on CSI, 11th Hr, Unit, and NCIS.

Anyone else observing this symptom ?

I just searched this site to see if anyone had posted any problems with this. The audio on WCAX is awful. I have yet to watch a complete prime time show without several audio dropouts or it keeps changing between DD 5.1 and DD 2.0 causing my receiver to lose sync. It is very annoying.

#6 OFFLINE   HDinVT

HDinVT

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 217 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:38 PM

I just searched this site to see if anyone had posted any problems with this. The audio on WCAX is awful. I have yet to watch a complete prime time show without several audio dropouts or it keeps changing between DD 5.1 and DD 2.0 causing my receiver to lose sync. It is very annoying.

Do the changes between DD 5.1 and DD 2.0 seem to be coinicident with banner messages or the local network overlays? It seems like our locals don't have or maybe don't use the technology to display 16:9 banners and logos.

The audio drop outs seem to happen most on WCAX, but I have noticed them on Fox44. One of these days I a going to record WCAX HD via D* and via OTA and see if the dropouts are simultaneous..
HR20-700 [eSATA - 1TB WD in an Thermaltake Max 5 enclosure] & HR21-100 [1TB internal HD]

#7 OFFLINE   HDinVT

HDinVT

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 217 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:40 PM

as anyone noticed that lately the programing for Ch 33 via D* does not match the guide and that it is the programing from OTA 33-2 not 33-1??

#8 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,910 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:59 AM

Added PBS - WCFE (57) to the lineup
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   toadleyb

toadleyb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:40 AM

Do the changes between DD 5.1 and DD 2.0 seem to be coinicident with banner messages or the local network overlays? It seems like our locals don't have or maybe don't use the technology to display 16:9 banners and logos.

The audio drop outs seem to happen most on WCAX, but I have noticed them on Fox44. One of these days I a going to record WCAX HD via D* and via OTA and see if the dropouts are simultaneous..

I have noticed it happening when they pop up station ID info, but it also happens all the time right in the middle of a show and you will miss 5 - 10 seconds of dialogue.

#10 OFFLINE   Matman

Matman

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:03 AM

The audio drop is definitely there on WCAX, I have noticed it and my parents have complained about it multiple times as well. My wife says its very frequent during Entertainment weekly from 7:30 to 8pm, and and I noticed it this week during How I met your mother and 2 1/2 Men. I was noticing it thru my TV's audio, not using any external sound system.
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
~Leonardo da Vinci

#11 OFFLINE   tj177mmi

tj177mmi

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:52 PM

* Channel(s) affected -WCAX
* Date - 12/20
* Time - Noticed around 8:30 pm
* Description of Issue

Video choppy and audio not in sync with the video. The audio is probably a half second to second faster than the video.

#12 OFFLINE   rjweissvt

rjweissvt

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:17 PM

I have experienced choppy video and audio on WCAX each Sunday for the past several weeks. I also have cable and the problem is not occurring there.

#13 OFFLINE   tj177mmi

tj177mmi

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:18 PM

* Date - 1/4
* Time - When Watching Ravens-Dolpins Game
* Description of Issue

The Video is extremely blurry (comparative to other HD channels). Video is not crisp for HD. Turn on the DNS channel and looks great. Don't know if its an uplink issue or a CAX issue, but very hard to watch.

#14 OFFLINE   lbouchard

lbouchard

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:43 AM

I would like to know what equipment is required to get the HD locals from Burlington on Direct TV? What satellite are the channels broadcast from? spotbeam? new antenna for 72 degre satellite? please advice.

#15 OFFLINE   HDinVT

HDinVT

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:50 AM

I would like to know what equipment is required to get the HD locals from Burlington on Direct TV? What satellite are the channels broadcast from? spotbeam? new antenna for 72 degre satellite? please advice.

:welcome_s to DBSTalk

As far as the locals go, if all you are interested in is HD they are on a spot beam from either 103 or 99, I forget which. SD locals are/were delivered from the extra 72.5 sat. About a week or two after the HD locals became available here, I took my 72.5 dish down off the house. Note only one dish in my sig below.

#16 OFFLINE   lbouchard

lbouchard

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:37 AM

As far as the locals go, if all you are interested in is HD they are on a spot beam from either 103 or 99, I forget which. SD locals are/were delivered from the extra 72.5 sat. About a week or two after the HD locals became available here, I took my 72.5 dish down off the house. Note only one dish in my sig below.

Do you know if the spot beam bleeds out to reach Montreal?

#17 OFFLINE   HDinVT

HDinVT

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 217 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:02 AM

Do you know if the spot beam bleeds out to reach Montreal?

Montreal is what 30 - 40 miles from the border?? possible I just have no way of knowing. If you can't find anything in DBSTalk on the precision of the spot beam, try starting a new thread maybe in D* General Discussion forum, we have hijacked this thread a bit, its supposed to be about HD local broadcast issues in this market.

EDIT: Just noticed this thread from 12/28. http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=148867 Alot of work by a member, check out the attachements there. Our locals are on a 99 spot beam from sat D11.

Edited by HDinVT, 10 January 2009 - 10:11 AM.
adding more info

#18 OFFLINE   tj177mmi

tj177mmi

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:06 PM

* Date - 12/20
* Time - Noticed around 8:30 pm
* Description of Issue

Video choppy and audio not in sync with the video. The audio is probably a half second to second faster than the video.

It is happening again today on 1/10. Video is very hard to watch as it seems to be studdering and Audio is not in sync with video. Hopefully someone fixes it because its unwatchable.

#19 OFFLINE   gargle

gargle

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:29 PM

messed up video and sound

#20 OFFLINE   HDinVT

HDinVT

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 217 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:45 PM

It is happening again today on 1/10. Video is very hard to watch as it seems to be studdering and Audio is not in sync with video. Hopefully someone fixes it because its unwatchable.

messed up video and sound

I saw it too on WCAX, and had to switch to OTA. Was the Fox game ok?? I checked it a couple of times to see the score, but I was watching the red hot Buffalo Wings game ......

spam firewall