Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What to do with old 942?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MrC

MrC

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:02 PM

I have an old 942 that I no longer want/need. What do people do with their obsoleted equipment? It certainly is good for an HD, but it seems so wasteful to junk the rest.
ViP 922 + ViP 722

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:08 AM

I have an old 942 that I no longer want/need. What do people do with their obsoleted equipment? It certainly is good for an HD, but it seems so wasteful to junk the rest.

Reactivate it on your account and get it upgraded to a 622 then send it back to DISH for a $10 credit. The 942 has been affected by the TiVo settlement, DISH can no longer activate them on other customers accounts so they are boat anchors. Find todays post by Puckwithahalo about clearing the air.

#3 OFFLINE   MrC

MrC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:29 AM

Thanks. Already was upgraded. Dish didn't really want it. And it wasn't worth returning a box back for a $15 shipping fee to receive $10 back! :-)

I was aware of the deactivation vis a vis TiVo.

Thanks anyway.
ViP 922 + ViP 722

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:21 AM

In a couple of months, they won't work anymore, as they aren't being upgraded to support the new encryption system.

They are indeed a boat anchor.

#5 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:24 AM

I know its not discussed on this site, but I believe there are other things that can be done with the receiver with a little programming. No idea where to find out about them, but I seem to recall hearing that somewhere.

#6 OFFLINE   MrC

MrC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:06 AM

That's ok. I was just wondering if there were folks who needed/used the parts. I'll send it to an electronics recycle center, and will keep the HD.

Thanks.
ViP 922 + ViP 722

#7 OFFLINE   derwin0

derwin0

Icon

• Registered
  • 538 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:07 AM

Could always use it as an OTA HD-DVR. Or is that functionality shut off when deactivated?

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,700 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:28 PM

In a couple of months, they won't work anymore, as they aren't being upgraded to support the new encryption system.

They are indeed a boat anchor.

And it will happen not by the PVR itself, but by pure unwilling to do that by Dish :(. Same as for 721 and 921.

#9 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:10 PM

Thanks. Already was upgraded. Dish didn't really want it. And it wasn't worth returning a box back for a $15 shipping fee to receive $10 back! :-)

I was aware of the deactivation vis a vis TiVo.

Thanks anyway.

Assuming they are still accepting them, they send you a authorized return label. You don't pay for shipping.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#10 OFFLINE   DishSatUser

DishSatUser

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:22 PM

The case could make an interesting HTPC. Simply open, discard of motherboard and replace with a mini-ATX board.

May require some modification, but when you are done, youve got a PC that looks like a DVR.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
DISH ViP 722
TurboHD Gold/local DMA
Vizio VO32L 32" HDTV
Dish 500+ on 110 & 119, 24" Dish on 129

#11 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:26 PM

Assuming they are still accepting them, they send you a authorized return label. You don't pay for shipping.

If the 942 is soon going to be unable to process a signal, why would they want to collect them? :grin:

#12 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:50 PM

And it will happen not by the PVR itself, but by pure unwilling to do that by Dish . Same as for 721 and 921.

which is why E* is providing free replacements for them.

#13 OFFLINE   spear61

spear61

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:55 PM

If you have a desktop computer, rip out the 942 hard drive and install it in the desktop. Standard drive and only needs reformating ( available from the manufacturer site). I think it's a Western Digital 250 G if I remember correctly.

#14 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:23 PM

Could always use it as an OTA HD-DVR. Or is that functionality shut off when deactivated?

My deactivated 942 still records OTA, BUT, I have to use Manual timers to record. If watching 13-1, I can hit Pause w/o issue but one can't hit Record. "Data/Guide not available" or something close to that. It would have recorded for 9 days (duration of "Digital Service") anyhow though. W/O a dish connection, it can be awkward to get to an OTA channel but with it I'd call it closer to a DTVPal (W/O EPG info), but with a Pause button and HD output. DVR still functions for Charlie Chats. If Manual timers qualify as "HD-DVR", then it would still be one, once deactivated. A deactivated ViP doesn't seem to be able to even display an OTA channel.

#15 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:25 AM

And it will happen not by the PVR itself, but by pure unwilling to do that by Dish :(. Same as for 721 and 921.

Right, because it was determined that no matter WHAT they do, they will always violate the TiVo patent and be subject to being shut off.

If you ran the company, would YOU spend money to update receivers that:

- could be ordered shut down at any time?
- are HD but can't get HD programming since it only supports MPEG2?

Spending any money on those receivers is just throwing good money after bad. Honestly, you'll be MUCH happier with your FREE, modern, MPEG4 replacement.

#16 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:06 PM

If the 942 is soon going to be unable to process a signal, why would they want to collect them? :grin:

It might be that they have an obligation to offer the recycling of these units.

#17 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,700 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 25 September 2008 - 05:40 PM

Right, because it was determined that no matter WHAT they do, they will always violate the TiVo patent and be subject to being shut off.

If you ran the company, would YOU spend money to update receivers that:

- could be ordered shut down at any time?
- are HD but can't get HD programming since it only supports MPEG2?

Spending any money on those receivers is just throwing good money after bad. Honestly, you'll be MUCH happier with your FREE, modern, MPEG4 replacement.

You quite missed business model - old 721/921/942 could be 'converted' to SD models like 811 been done FOR FREE eg no expenses for Dish, but REPLACE those receivers/DVRs WILL INCURS cost to Dish.

#18 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:57 PM

You quite missed business model - old 721/921/942 could be 'converted' to SD models like 811 been done FOR FREE eg no expenses for Dish, but REPLACE those receivers/DVRs WILL INCURS cost to Dish.

Dish would incur development costs to update the software in those receivers, and MOST customers would still not be happy, because MOST customers who have a 921 or 942 want HD and want DVR functions. Few would be satisfied with one as a basic SD receiver, and the truth is that most customers don't want and/or can't use those old 381s (rebadged 811s) since they are most often used on the oldest TVs in the house, which only have coax inputs. 942s don't even have ANY SD outputs for TV1.

Again, it just wouldn't be worth the development costs, much less the hassle of multiple policies for dealing with the equipment, to please the tiny number of customers who would benefit.

spam firewall