Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will the Installer Bring a WB616?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:44 AM

I already have some DVRs with only one input connected due to having just a WB68 multiswitch.

On October 9, an installer is scheduled to bring another HD DVR.

When he sees my situation, will he install a WB616? The reason I ask is, I might buy one myself and have it already in place, cables already run, if there is no chance that DirecTV will furnish the WB616.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Hoggy

Hoggy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:54 AM

If he is there to install your box as you stated, he will need the switch to install it. He will then have two options, install a wb616 or ad a wb68, just depends on what he has on his truck. No need to pick up a switch, but you may want to turn the wires yourself.

#3 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:54 AM

I already have some DVRs with only one input connected due to having just a WB68 multiswitch.

On October 9, an installer is scheduled to bring another HD DVR.

When he sees my situation, will he install a WB616? The reason I ask is, I might buy one myself and have it already in place, cables already run, if there is no chance that DirecTV will furnish the WB616.

The chances of getting a WB616 are small but it just might happen. The most likely options are (1) he will show up not knowing he has to install a new multiswitch at all or (2) he will install a second WB68 in parallel with the first one, using four wideband splitters (power -passing on both ports). That will work OK. Don't let him cascade the WB68s (four outputs from one driving the other) because that is unreliable and is specifically not recommended by Zinwell.
If it were me I would let him install the parallel WB68 solution, and then if I wanted to, replace the two WB68s with a WB616 later.

#4 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:30 AM

The chances of getting a WB616 are small but it just might happen. The most likely options are (1) he will show up not knowing he has to install a new multiswitch at all or (2) he will install a second WB68 in parallel with the first one, using four wideband splitters (power -passing on both ports). That will work OK. Don't let him cascade the WB68s (four outputs from one driving the other) because that is unreliable and is specifically not recommended by Zinwell.
If it were me I would let him install the parallel WB68 solution, and then if I wanted to, replace the two WB68s with a WB616 later.

I'm thinking he might leave it as-is, since some of my lesser-used DVRs already have only one line run to them. I am going to re-route a cable and put two lines to the location where the new DVR is going, so he'll probably get the new one operating and leave well enough alone.

I probably should go ahead and provide two lines to each of the DVRs in case he does wire up a suitable switch configuration. It's not very hard to do with a large crawlspace under my old house.

If he does the parallel WB68 solution, I'll probably let him, and try it and see if it works. I can always add the splitters myself later.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,914 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:34 AM

Two WB68's in parallel will work just fine, there is no reason to replace them with a WB616. At most, I would add a Sonora Power Inserter/Phase Locker to the parallel WB68's (thus making them the equivalent of a powred WB616).

Carl

Protected By... spam firewall...And...