Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New to D*

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doom878

Doom878

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:53 PM

I have the installer coming tonight. I'm switching from Comcast but keeping the internet and the VOIP. One of the bedrooms has no cable jack. Is it a custom install to hook up that room? Do they normally run wires through the existing cable jacks? I just want to make sure I don't have to pay the guy because I can't pay him right now.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:09 PM

no, its not custom work to run a cable in that room. if you want a box installed in that room, a line will be ran. just make sure they dont disconnect your internet...they will probably need to run new cable to each room in the house that you want a directv box in.

#3 OFFLINE   Doom878

Doom878

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:16 PM

Thanks for the fast reply. How will be the line be ran in? That room is at the front of the house while the bedroom and family room (I have 3 TV's) are near the back. The 2 bedrooms touch corner to corner. The TV in the room that has a jack is near the window and the TV is by the back window in the family room as well.

#4 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:18 PM

It's really hard to say how it will be done as it will depend on the installer and on your house/residence.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#5 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,646 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:35 PM

Lines are generally run externally and drilled through the walls. If you want the line fished in the walls, that's extra.

#6 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:15 PM

You may also find that if the installer has to do any work in a crawl space or attic that there may be an extra charge for that.

spam firewall