Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Network(R) Launches Next-Gen Digital-To-Analog Converter Box: DTVPal(TM) Plus

mrv

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,601 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:14 PM

DISH Network® Launches Next-Gen Digital-To-Analog Converter Box: DTVPal™ Plus
Converter box includes enhanced digital tuner optimized for weak signal areas

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Sept 24, 2008 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ -- DISH Network Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH), the digital transition leader, today announced the availability of the DTVPal™ Plus, its next generation digital-to-analog converter box. The DTVPal™ Plus offers all the features of the industry favorite DTVPal™, plus an enhanced digital tuner for optimizing weak signal areas.

http://www.newscom.c...ocs/073/050.thm

The DTVPal™ Plus joins DISH Network's suite of converter boxes that qualify for the National Telecommunications and Information Administration's TV Converter Box Coupon Program; coupons may be ordered by visiting http://www.dtv2009.gov. The DTVPal™ Plus costs $29.99 with a government coupon; MSRP is $69.99*.

"The DTVPal™ Plus carries all the popular features of our top-rated DTVPal™, plus a tuner that can help consumers living in weak signal areas maximize the number of over-the-air channels they receive," said Tom Stingley, executive vice president of Sales and Distribution for DISH Network. "With the introduction of the DTVPal™ Plus, DISH Network truly has solutions for every consumer in the country."

In addition to the enhanced digital tuner, DTVPal™ Plus includes a unique analog pass-through feature, which means it can take both analog and digital signals -- ideal for all consumers affected by the transition, as many stations are low-power and are not required to switch to digital broadcasts by 2009.

Additional components include an easy-to-follow setup wizard, an electronic program guide with up to seven days of program listings, parental controls, program search, auto tune timers for program recording on a connected VCR, closed caption support, a remote control, and signal strength screen pop-ups that can troubleshoot lost signals.

Consumers can also prepare for the digital transition by subscribing to pay television. DISH Network offers the best value in entertainment with the lowest all-digital price every day, along with unmatched technology and award-winning customer service that has surpassed major cable TV providers for the past eight years. The recently introduced DISH Network American and Latino Welcome Packs feature 20 popular channels for less than $10 per month. Or for as little as $19.99 per month (additional $5 for local channels), DISH Network customers can subscribe to the DishFAMILY package and receive over 40 popular channels, plus free installation and activation.

For more information about DISH Network, visit http://www.dishnetwork.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474). To learn more about the DTVPal™ Plus, or to order a converter box, visit http://www.dtvpal.com or call 1-888-638-9912.

*Does not include shipping or taxes

#2 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:15 AM

So does the original DTVpal NOT have the "enhanced" tuner? Sounds like snake oil to me! I'd like to see them (the original, the tr-40, and the dtvpal plus) side by side in a weak signal area to see what happens!

They updated the FAQ to show this enhancement is the difference now.
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,601 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:46 AM

I have a TR-40 that receives better than my ViP-622. But it is a strong signal issue. The rogue signal overpowers my 622 receiver. I have a choice of reducing my antenna and receiving that one channel well or receiving all others.

#4 OFFLINE   EagleTar

EagleTar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:20 PM

I'm very curious to here reports about the dtv pal plus.I have the dtvpal and it does get better reception than the Zenith DT.I live in a deep fringe area but get pretty good signals on several channels.I also have an antennacraft 29db amp installed.I just wonder if the palplus has some kind of amp built in?

#5 OFFLINE   sasserfolk

sasserfolk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 07:37 PM

I ordered the $40 DTVPal Monday (have'nt received it yet) and now wonder if I will be able to return it for the "Plus" version? I live in a rural area and want to the strongest receiver I can get.

#6 OFFLINE   dishlover2

dishlover2

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:59 PM

hmm interesting

#7 OFFLINE   dishlover2

dishlover2

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:14 PM

hmm interesting

i have a digtal (cable)qam hd ready and still cant get all hd/sd stations 8nbc weather plus 15 cw 43/47 fox 30/49 i have an amplified antenna no cbs or my21 abc27 or pbs 33 1 or 2 43 used to air the tube like 80s mtv.

the solution for the 612 would be an antenna optimizer ive had to go for cbs/abc waiver whp okayed it but not 27 abc whtm cbs 21 transmitter must cut off where i .

#8 OFFLINE   From The Fray To The Grav

From The Fray To The Grav

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:05 PM

I found a pretty good review of the DTVPal Plus

I'm not sure though, it seems a bit biased and to in favor of it. It doesn't really point out any of the negatives but their most certainly has to be a few of them.

Have any of you had any experience with it yet? I am thinking about getting it but want to get info from someone who has actually used it for awhile first.

#9 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:41 PM

I have a TR-40 that receives better than my ViP-622. But it is a strong signal issue. The rogue signal overpowers my 622 receiver. I have a choice of reducing my antenna and receiving that one channel well or receiving all others.

As a fellow owner of a 622 living in the Cleveland antenna farm I'm curious as to how this "rouge signal" affects your 622.

In addition to all the nearby (.8 of a mile to 1.4 miles from the towers) I also get the Akron stations ~25 miles away give or take, and one Youngstown station @ 57 miles away. I aim my chimney mounted antenna at Youngstown and get all the Cleveland stations off the back side. For Akron I use an indoor Silver Sensor on an A/B switch. I was impressed with the 622, as my previous receiver (921) choaked on the nearby signals, I had to cascade 2 A/B switches with a seperate indoor "hoop" and rabbit ears combo in order to get what I do today.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,601 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:55 PM

That one station seems to be overdriving the receiver. Too much signal. Disconnect the amp needed for other stations and that station is received much better (and others suffer).

I scanned with my TR-40 last night on that antenna and it found a lot of signals I barely recognize that are not even in the direction my outdoor antenna is pointed. No usable signal, but enough for the EPG to report the station. From near South Bend, Indiana, I saw Fort Wayne, Chicago and Grand Rapids/Battle Creek locals in the guide. My antenna is aimed west toward the South Bend tower field.

#11 OFFLINE   sattec

sattec

Godfather

• Registered
  • 261 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:58 PM

I have the dtvpal. I also have an 29db amp installed.I just wonder if the palplus has some kind of amp built in?

I just "barrelled" around my amp and everything is working fine! the signal numbers are lower but I always suspected that I was over driving the tuner causing breakups, let me see how this goes, so far it's good with out the amp and a not long ago, I felt sure I needed the amp
MDU only.

#12 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:18 PM

I have no use for amps. There is so much signal here that they overload. It's the amp that's overloading, not the 622.

Amps are for distant fringe areas only, where no nearby signals can overload them. A well designed, high gain antenna will do the job better than an amp.

I get an out-of-market signal from 57 miles away with no amp! It helps that I'm on high ground and that station's coverage area map includes my area "inside the circle". If I were to purchase a 40' tower to put my antenna on I'd clear the local ground clutter that blocks the rest of the stations from Youngstown. I'm outside the circle for those stations, however I do get them on occasion when the atmosphere is just right. But if I were to throw an amplifier on my present antenna, I'd get overloaded big time. Before the digital signals were on the air my amp would put VHF stations on UHF and visa versa (in other words I'd get ghost copies of the local stations on parts of the dial where they did not belong).
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mrv

spam firewall