Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Digital Test Within Test Area

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,400 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:52 AM

As channel numbers are part of the marketing identity of many stations, there is a decided impetus for those stations to maintain their virtual channel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:24 PM

Virtual channels should have been ONLY for the transition period. Continuing them after the change is made unnecessarily leaves confusion in the system.

...as if they don't cause confusion now?

I'm no fan of virtual channels. I think they should always be the RF channel number.

This transition has been in the pipe for over a decade, so smart stations could have been primarily marketing their call letters, instead of their channel number, lessening the impact of the channel change(s).
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#23 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 02:40 PM

I'm sorry, but call letters will never be as memorable or as useful as the channel number. Viewers either have to translate the call letters to some number, or they go straight to the number. That's true even when the channel number is virtual, which it is already for cable and satellite TV viewers.

#24 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 02:47 PM

I'm sorry, but call letters will never be as memorable or as useful as the channel number. Viewers either have to translate the call letters to some number, or they go straight to the number. That's true even when the channel number is virtual, which it is already for cable and satellite TV viewers.

I agree.

But, as you point out, some stations were on analog cable using a different channel number.

Growing up...channel 13 was on 4, channel 6 was on 2, channel 42 was on 8.

So, call letters do count, too.

If a station only markets themselves as News4 they have more issues than KWTF-4. At least the call letters have a chance of helping them.
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1

#25 OFFLINE   BillRadio

BillRadio

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:41 PM

The TV stations have dug themsleves into a hole. Cable and satellite channel assignments don't always align to their channel. Stations like WGN (9) appear on a 2- or 3-digit channel outside of Chicago.

However. viewers are stupid. Channel 4 here in Denver tried to detach the viewer from their number by changing their call letters to "K-CNC" which was to identify "Colorado's News Channel." Unfortunately, "KCNC" conjured up the phrase "Kansas City's News Channel". They have since used "News4" then "CBS4", and now that they will be on channel 35, what's next? The local My Network station calls itself "My20-Comcast Channel 3". We must be number-oriented when it comes to TV, so the stations will do whatever sticks in our minds.

#26 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:22 PM

We must be number-oriented when it comes to TV, so the stations will do whatever sticks in our minds.

Sure.

But, each different cable operator across Colorado may put the same station on a different channel number.

So again, the call letters are the only thing that doesn't change.
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
HR21-100/AM21
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1

#27 OFFLINE   Scott in FL

Scott in FL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 05:40 AM

[QUOTE=Kansas Zephyr;1854803 So again, the call letters are the only thing that doesn't change.[/QUOTE]

Interesting conversation. I know my parents and my wife couldn't tell you the call letters of our local tv stations if their lives depended on it. They can probably remember that their favorite local news is on the CBS station.

With the national channels it's not so much of a problem: ESPN, Food Network, Discovery, etc. Even WGN. People remember these names, not so much their cable or satellite number.

The local channels present the problem. And with all the number changing, the problem will get worse. There's a station in Altoona, PA, with the local ABC 23 and Fox 8 station on the same RF channel: 24 (23.1 and 23.3). Can't get much more confusing than that! I wonder if the locals should give up on the channel number completely, and just go by ABC, Fox, The CW, etc. That only leaves the independents with a branding problem, and they could use names as well.

#28 OFFLINE   crashHD

crashHD

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 06:23 AM

If the station changes it's number, one time, and a viewer isn't motivated enough to find the new number...they obviously aren't airing any "must see" content.

I know my local stations by the networks, ABC, NBC, CBS, etc. I know them all.

If I had to go by call letters...I'd know almost half of them.
If you're not part of the problem, you're part of the solution!

#29 ONLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,819 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 24 October 2008 - 10:52 AM

If the station changes it's number, one time, and a viewer isn't motivated enough to find the new number...they obviously aren't airing any "must see" content.

I know my local stations by the networks, ABC, NBC, CBS, etc. I know them all.

If I had to go by call letters...I'd know almost half of them.

I know all of mine - by NTSC channel, call sign, AND "real digital RF channel", and network (if applicable) :D

I can probably come pretty close for the channel stuff on the digital subchannels as well....

I would be totally LOST on where they are on the local cable lineup - I haven't subscribed to cable in 5 years or more....
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Protected By... spam firewall...And...