Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upcoming Local Markets Website

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   computersecguy

computersecguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:36 PM

Satracer,

Will D* be focusing on HD instead of SD in areas where locals are not provided yet? If there is still a focus on SD locals, is there a similar website on when SD channels might be showing up?

From one of the 200+ DMAs....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:20 PM

Any specific date for Colorado Springs other then October 2008?

October 15th, October 22nd or October 29th. :grin:

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#123 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,900 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:26 PM

Satracer,

Will D* be focusing on HD instead of SD in areas where locals are not provided yet? If there is still a focus on SD locals, is there a similar website on when SD channels might be showing up?

From one of the 200+ DMAs....

I would imagine they are no longer looking at areas where they have no LIL as an area to add SD or HD, but simply to add them period, and some stations when they come online will probably be HD, and some SD.... but only one version of each channel...

#124 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:57 PM

Hello,
Thank you for writing WTTO/WABM in reference to our programming. We at WTTO/WABM appreciate all of our viewers concerns. Please be aware that all viewer mail is read by the General Manager and the Programming Director, and answered accordingly.

WTTO is broadcasting in High Definition. The HD signal can be received over-the-air or on Brighthouse cable. Charter cable, Direct TV, and Dish Network have decided to NOT carry our HD signal. This is not a decision made by WTTO. We recommend you call your cable or satellite provider to request WTTO-HD.

Best regards,
Programming Department
WTTO21 / WABM68
Birmingham, Alabama

Sounds like a contract dispute issue since it's more then 1 carrier.

#125 OFFLINE   srrndhound

srrndhound

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:56 AM

I too am waiting for HD locals in Eugene, Oregon.

If I go to the DirecTV "Check if locals are available in your area" tab for Bend, OR, 97701, it shows a slew of channels from Portland. But if I try to get them activated, they ask which part of 97701 are you in--oh, well, you cannot have those since you live near the Bend OTA towers. Bait and switch, seems to me. At least I have DNS for a few of them, but the local FOX and NBC channels (both from the same local affiliate KTVZ) do not work well at all with my AM21s. :(

#126 OFFLINE   uswebworx

uswebworx

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 12:00 PM

Is it typical for them to announce that you have HD locals... but then you only get 2 of them not the big 4?

Or how about you get 0 and you find this out AFTER the install is completed.

#127 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,668 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 18 June 2009 - 12:30 PM

If I go to the DirecTV "Check if locals are available in your area" tab for Bend, OR, 97701, it shows a slew of channels from Portland. But if I try to get them activated, they ask which part of 97701 are you in--oh, well, you cannot have those since you live near the Bend OTA towers. Bait and switch, seems to me. At least I have DNS for a few of them, but the local FOX and NBC channels (both from the same local affiliate KTVZ) do not work well at all with my AM21s. :(

It's not bait and switch. Using your zip code, I went to the DirecTV site. It gives a choice of 2 counties - Crook and Deschutes. Bend is clearly in Deschutes County: http://www.truckads....iliate/Bend.htm

Selecting Deschutes County - where Bend is located - reveals "We don't currently offer local channels in your area". Crook County - in which Bend does not exist - shows various locals available in SD and HD.

Not sure how it's bait and switch when, if you use the tool correctly, the answer is that they don't provide channels in your area?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...